New Signature and Link Restrictions

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

bladedomain-hosting, what is your opinion on reducing the initial threshold to N posts, and imposing a minimum posts per day/week/month for signatures to continue to be displayed after that ?

Basically the way that would work is that new members need to make N posts before their signature would be available. N would be a lower number than the current threshold.
Once N is reached a member is able to freely alter and attach their signature to all of their posts.

After that comes the part where this applies to everyone. Not just new members.

Completely independent of the N post threshold, would be a fluid activity threshold. The way this activity threshold would work, is any time a thread is loaded, a users number of posts would get divided by some timeframe (day/week/month) to get an average per-timeframe.

Any member who's average falls below the activity threshold would not have their signature displayed, no matter how long they've been here.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bladedomain-hosting
  • bladedomain-hosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that sounds good. all thou some members might hate it . monthly would be better on that one because lets face it not every one wants to write something every day week or month. Might be a good idea to look at the members you know have been good and see an average of their post. Honestly too about the using pr's and forums for the signature . Thats what business do its a guaranteed fact. Prs are to attract customer period. It is one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. I'm not a sucker for the bs of its not. Just its more tasteful than the spammers. Tells them about a product you have to interest them. Signature, you want me to lie and say i wouldn't like to use it. I'd probably lose mine and have to gain it back but that's ok. depends on how the other members feel too. Good time to ask now since you feel like you got rid of most of the spammers :).
@ATNO/TW one thing is I didn't find this right away I was looking for things of interest something like Slackware/Linux I might help with and I do see some just general things about them. I was looking at what it takes for the add section and banners too. But when I saw this, I know spammers can be a pain but it was like one extreme to the other with out balance. Anyway myself it'll be a while because I just look for the ones threw the board and try and answer them. Even if I see an old one its still good to have an answer. I Google for errors compiling and it is as bad as spammers when you see emails/forums etc with the question but no answer and its a regression. So its nice on the ones I do see some one answered late it usually helps.
Anyway take care
  • pakeeza1990
  • pakeeza1990
  • Loc: IT

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for giving the information about the rules and regulations of the site .... i will act upon it and hope all the members will act upon the statement is well...
  • keyideas
  • Born
  • Born
  • keyideas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that will be good for spammer. Need to implement it
  • pakeeza1990
  • pakeeza1990
  • Loc: IT

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i am hundred percent agree with your statement .. and this information is so much useful for me ...
  • johneva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • johneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am new and wanted to know what the rules on this were but I like this rule, sick of other webmaster forums I use being spammed to death with naf posts and people signing up just to get a couple of links.

Good call.
  • akosiana
  • Born
  • Born
  • akosiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
In the tutorial writer's forum that restriction does not exist anymore, so you can post the tutorial there and work/edit on it there. Once finalized it can be moved to the appropriate tutorial forum that is displayed to the public and the links will stay intact.

Right now the restriction system I put in place is very simple, so I could not do something like you requested. Down the road I may do something though as far as calculating the "trust" of a user. However the workaround I mentioned above I think will be sufficient.

Does this mean, if I post tutorials I will be able to put my links?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably not for the purpose you intend. The tutorial links in reference are intended to supplement the tutorial or link images or examples. They are not to spam your websites or advertise. Since all tutorials are approved by the staff before being made available to the public, any spam links will be removed and tutorial writers using tutorials to spam their links or services will be removed from the writer's group.
  • akosiana
  • Born
  • Born
  • akosiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, okay, no worries. Yes, the links that I will use will the supplemental links for my tutorials in case, but they can be still be links coming from my site. Will that be possible?
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) hi!

honestly saying i like that! i myself included some extra stuff in one of my posts lately. many people do that knowing they are doing wrong and many by mistake. but the "3 months membership and 150 posts" condition is cooler than ever. trust me i bet users will tend to post MORE (atleast to reach 150 posts)! and spamming is surely going to come to a halt if stringent policies are maintained on the site. also appears a clever decision (whoever made it) because only the serious post writers will tend to post (i mean to post anything useful not spam and old-wives tales..) to get access to active links (and ads maybe.. i don't know). active links to other webpages is VERY useful when giving any programming, OS, etc, suggestions to someone. great job!

best of luck
regards
  • paulmaison
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totally agree with this rule. Good job!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Closing this topic. Please use the new thread for any further comments:

announcements-rules/updated-signature-and-link-restrictions-t106646.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts