New Signature and Link Restrictions

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Effective immediately, to help keep the quality of ozzu high and to deter members signing up simply to post low quality content, we have now limited accounts that can post URLs or that can have signatures. To be able to post links or have a signature you will need to be a member at ozzu for at least 90 days and also have at least 150 posts. Until both criteria are met links and signatures will not be allowed for your account.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good call,

End of spammers..:mrgreen:

I best make that..possibly, but Joebert is on to it too.

S
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to update ozzu rules to reflect the change, chief. Just looked and didn't see it yet.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Updated.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey can we count writing a tutorial as a bonus 50 posts/30 days? I have a whole list of totally classic youtube clips just wasting away here now...:lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the tutorial writer's forum that restriction does not exist anymore, so you can post the tutorial there and work/edit on it there. Once finalized it can be moved to the appropriate tutorial forum that is displayed to the public and the links will stay intact.

Right now the restriction system I put in place is very simple, so I could not do something like you requested. Down the road I may do something though as far as calculating the "trust" of a user. However the workaround I mentioned above I think will be sufficient.
  • vasyapupkin42
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vasyapupkin42

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand the reason behind this, but isn't 90 days/150 posts a little bit too much ? Even 10 days/15 posts limitation would drive away spammers, yet allow people like me write meaningful posts and have a normal signature.

Please remember that some new users are real humans, not necessarily bots.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Such a small requirement wouldn't really serve the same purpose. If we were to lower the requirements to something more like 10/15, we'd only hurt ourselves. We'd likely see an increase of pointless and hasty posts where spammers reached for the 15-post limit.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It weeds out flakes. Flakes being people who look at the limit as a goal they have to get to so they can drop their links and then move on.

Posting on the forum is work to them and for some reason they believe the advertisement-disguised-as-content is "valuable content" and that they deserve a link. Those are the people who need to be paying for advertising space because that is what they're looking for.

Links in posts and signatures are basically a "word of mouth" space. Raising the barrier to entry keeps it from being "free advertising" space.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically it helps ensure members are here for the right reasons. This was a major problem here before we implemented this. Too much content posted that was pretty much completely useless.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really have not sat down and thought about what this really means, i saw the benefits initially too but it never really sank in how good this is for the site.
  • vasyapupkin42
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vasyapupkin42

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you wish. Just remember that this measure will also drive away a certain percentage of new normal users. Any it would be really useful to get a meaningful error message rather than just a "you are not authorized to define a signature".
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate your concerns vasyapupkin42. It seems either way we go on this we can lose someone. In the past we have lost valuable members due to the degrading quality of the forums. I know this because the members who said that they were leaving told me their reasons behind it via PM. Members who are here to learn and help others get tired of multiple meaningless posts that are posted by members with the motive of really just trying to get their link some exposure.

It may be a gamble, but forums like webmaster world have not had signatures for years and they are doing very well. Forums like digitalpoint are overrun with link spam, have you ever read through their forums? It is horrible. We aren't taking signatures away completely, just limiting the ability for new members to utlitize it until its clear they are here for the right reasons. While it is true that some new members are willing to participate and post meaningful content if they can have some free advertising space in their signatures, I would say 99 out of 100 members in this group are just horrible, posting short one liners over and over.

I know for many members you might not realize how much spam / junk posts the moderators remove on a daily basis from ozzu. I believe this amount has dropped considerably already since this went into affect which makes our jobs easier as well. It completely removes the incentive for spammers if they cannot get their link out thus leaving ozzu with members that are really just here to be part of our community.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

vasyapupkin42 wrote:
Any it would be really useful to get a meaningful error message rather than just a "you are not authorized to define a signature".

I stand with Bigwebmaster and the other moderators on the logic behind this implementation, and already see the benefit manifested. However, I do agree that a better reason might be given as you suggest. Perhaps even a link to the signature rules that explain the time limit.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good rule. But I have been a member for over 5 years and have over 450 posts. Now I come back from a hiatus (somewhat long, I admit) and my signature is not showing. :(
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, what on earth! It is now showing. Never mind. :)

EDIT: I see sig in this topic but not on the Google forum where I made a post. Is there some other rules I am missing?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reason you had unchecked attach signature in that post in the Google forum. I edited it and rechecked it. Check your User Control Panel settings and make sure you have checked to attach signatures.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't think I touched that option as far as I remember. But thanks for fixing. Appreciate it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think this rule should affect at people staying here if they are real normal human users. It probably does like some people pointed out...

Signature is like a trail, left behind by the poster... something that isn't (most likely) related to the content of the actual post...

Besides, this is a nofollow site, so having a link to your site in the sig doesn't help your SEO rating directly... true, it could lead to more visitors to your site, but to a percentage directly related to the content of your site.

I think that made sense.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Regardless of the nofollow status, we still have a large number of members and a huge amount of daily visitors. Just having the text there is enough to persuade some people to spatter useless posts across the board.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Second I believe other search engines such as Yahoo ignore the rel="nofollow" attribute. That may have changed, but that was the last I have heard.

Since not allowing signatures or links for that group of users it has really cut down on the spammers here. So it is working.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guys... I understand the new roules...

Just my few cents....... time is money... and I have to say that 90 days and 150 post are a huge amounts...

I do not care signature so much but what I do care is to post sometimes a link to some sample like some website (not necessarly mine) in order to show what we are talking about in the post....

I have just done my first post here and i took out the reference to my websample link so became quite a ''cold'' ''to much code'' post. Is a pity.

Anyway... keep fighting!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's only unreasonable if your main objective is to get functional links posted. There are plenty of ways to get an address across without using an actual link. :)

I'm still thinking this is a good idea.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

My purpose basically is to learn from forums.

I tryed a couple of ways to post a link and I have been warned as error, so I stopped of course, above all... why force the roule.

I will post without link till 150 + 90 (big goal!!), probably in the photophorums, will see.

Regards
  • bladedomain-hosting
  • bladedomain-hosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes 90/150 is quite heavy. As far as the ones here that didn't have to wait that long, I have no doubt their opinion would be a lot different. So I'll only believe those that went threw it.
Its extremely disappointing, I was hoping to see something reasonable.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bladedomain-hosting wrote:
Yes 90/150 is quite heavy. As far as the ones here that didn't have to wait that long, I have no doubt their opinion would be a lot different. So I'll only believe those that went threw it.
Its extremely disappointing, I was hoping to see something reasonable.

The only people who seem to be so disappointed with the policy are people who come here with the primary intention of advertising links. If that's your only reason for wanting to join the community here than it just shows why the policy is in effect in the first place.
  • bladedomain-hosting
  • bladedomain-hosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well of course you and the rest in your boat aren't. Because you aren't and never have been in the same situation so please your reply is truly meaningless. We said it should be reasonable but since as I said it doesn't and hasn't applied to you. Why should I believe you. If I was like you said I would just leave. I wonder why the people in your shoes aren't disappointed? its obvious you can't even guess why. IT doesn't apply to you does it. Anyway I think I said it clear enough but I have my doubts you'd even get it .
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quit using my signature, just to be an asshole.

You freaking signature people are like a broken record. None of you ever come up with any sort of proposal that doesn't amount to whining about the number.

The funny thing is for some retarded reason, every time this subject comes up I come up with some sort of compromise on the moderator forum for signatures and you turd burglars get all huffy with an attitude making me feel like a dumbass for even reading this thread.
  • bladedomain-hosting
  • bladedomain-hosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what it been about is a compromise but so far I haven't seen one. I didn't even see you either suggest one. If you want one then half .Amazing too how I said it once and I'm accused of being a broken record. Anyway its not just the signature part I seen the links and who knows what else has gone over board. If you actually took the time to look I could have had the signature back in 2009 ? . I just can't stand bias and unfair treatment with no compromise and people never got the chance or were asked like reasonable people would have asked. I'm responding the fud I was just fed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blade, I think you sort of missed what Joebert was saying. To make it a little more clear, you haven't seen compromise yet because there hasn't been any. However, that does not mean it isn't being discussed. In fact it was Joebert that brought up the discussion, which reading this thread after the fact, I have to believe was prompted by your posts.

If it was up to me alone, there wouldn't be any compromise. You are not the one who for years has to deal with removing the spammers from the board so that people like yourself may have a beneficial and "spam free" board to read and post in. You have no idea how much better this board has been since this restriction was put in place. The quality has greatly improved.

In regards to having a signature back in 2009, well then why didn't you? In my first year with OZZU I had nearly 5000 quality posts, helping people and asking questions when I needed answers. You could have had a significant number of posts by now in which your signature would have been visible. As a contributing member to OZZU I now have my signature posted here in almost 23,000 posts. OZZU has long been my biggest referrer even though our signature links are no-follow.

But no, instead of contributing to OZZU for the year that you have been a member, you wait nearly an entire year to make your first 7 posts, all of which were done yesterday. One was posted to a thread that hasn't seen the light of day in over 7 years, 2 posts were merely comments to threads that were a couple months old and didn't do much to contribute, and the remaining four posts are all the ones whining about not being able to have a signature.

In the time you wasted whining about it, you could have already contributed at least a couple dozen posts that add to the quality of this great forum.

In addition, instead of posting a "normal" handle when you signed up in the first place, you had to choose one that clearly spams your hosting.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that we are neither impressed, nor do we really care a whole lot about compromising, in your specific scenario.

*steps off soap box*
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts