Ozzu's 10th Anniversary and the Next Decade

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

so basically creating a whole new forum.. Nice :) Hmmm OzzuBb <- maybe.. lol

Sounds like it will be very nice once things are up and running.

Although something got me wondering with all the active real time scripting wont that put a big load on the servers?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ironically even with all the additional things the new Ozzu will offer, I think it will use less resources and put less load on the server. The majority of the heavy loading parts of the code only load on the development platform, or on during the GIT deployment, such as compiling all of the assets and minimizing them. For the regular user it just loads the pre-compiled optimized cached form which is super quick.

During the entire time developing this I am extremely focused on keeping the load as low as possible, one of the reasons I am using that profiler and created it for my exact needs to make sure everything runs efficiently.

Ozzu will be much more than a forum, that will only be the first aspect, but yes its all be redeveloped from the ground up.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep up the Good work. :)

Soo just wondering. Will it have a dark theme or light them as default?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will be light colors. I probably won't be doing the work to maintain multiple themes, however, I may create something in time where users can extend/branch the theme saving the changes to Ozzu, maintain their extensions, and allow other users to use the theme they created. Badges and points would likely be available to members who create additional Ozzu themes for other members to use.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking forward to seeing the new changes!

Are there any javascript libraries in particular you're using for the new stuff? I'm excited to see Ozzu finally move away from phpBB and other dated web methodologies such as form-submit-and-reload, etc.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I am using quite a few different libraries, as well as custom ones I wrote specifically for Ozzu. Ozzu will be using jQuery as the JavaScript framework for which everything else is built upon. Some of the third party JavaScript libraries that Ozzu uses currently includes:

Chosen - Makes select pull downs much more user friendly.

Datatables - Due to the large size of this library, it will only load when needed, however used to make advanced tables that can do all sorts of cool things from quickly filtering the results in the table to what you put in a search field, pagination, limiting the amount of entries to display, and AJAX based editing.

Fancybox - A slightly modified version based on the old version that meets Ozzu's needs better.

File Upload - Allows for a much more user friendly upload utility that will simplify for example, placing attachments in a post. This should support multiple attachments uploading at once, as well as showing an animated bar of the current status of the upload.

Highcharts - Due to the larger size of this library, will also only load on demand. This one makes for some quite impressive charts that can be useful in numerous places where ever some sort of graph is needed.

HTML5 Shiv - Allows older browsers to support HTML5 elements. Needed because Ozzu is written completely in HTML5.

Jeditable - An awesome plugin that allows content to be edited in place.

jQuery UI - I use some of the plugins as provided from jQuery UI. Currently the only parts of the jQuery UI that I use are the Effect and Widget. With the Effects this includes things such as drop, fade, highlight, slide, and a customized version of slide that I created called smoothslide.

Notify - This one I borrowed ideas from all sorts of other plugins that I found. Nothing met my needs exactly so I created my own. This allows me to easily code an "event" that shows up on the user's screen. For example a drop-down bar may appear if I want to show a message that their settings are outdated, or if they logged out.

Popupbox - This one is one I also created, may rename it to something such as Dialog, doesn't really matter though. This one depends on Fancybox, but makes it very easy for me to create awesome looking dialogs that can animate and morph into other dialogs. For example, I believe I have shown the login screen earlier. On that page you could for example click on the button that says "Login with OpenID" and that dialog will morph quickly into the OpenID dialog box. The purpose of this library is to keep it consistent and simple for me to use dialogs wherever I want.

Smart Columns - This one was based off another library called the same name, but I rewrote it to be less buggy and to support working correctly if there is a sidebar on the page. This basically allows columns to always be equal in size no matter if the user re-sizes the page and figures out how many columns should exist. This is useful for displaying badges, galleries, or numerous images in a row to keep the browser full looking, and lined up nicely.

Tabs - This one I wrote to help assist with tabs that can appear on any given page that makes it easier for me to specify what tabs exist, where they link, and if its loaded via other content already on the page, or if its an external link.

I am sure this will change over time since its still so early, but that is what Ozzu is currently using in the new system :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is quit an ambitious project you took up on yourself there bigweb. Means you really care about the future of Ozzu, and you keep surprising me more and more with your programming powers.

Is it too early to ask about an estimated time that the system you're creating is going to go into effect?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it's still too early to tell for sure, but I am optimistically hoping for the end of the year.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Yeah it's still too early to tell for sure, but I am optimistically hoping for the end of the year.

So.... Is it ready yet?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been a while...

Congrats Brian.

Good Luck!!

S
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

So.... Is it ready yet?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope :(

and not much has progressed since I had to get a full time job doing non-Ozzu things.

I did give you access to the beta right?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using a framework like CakePHP or CodeIgnitor in your site? Just wondering.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

CodeIgniter is being used as the base framework.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Nope :(

and not much has progressed since I had to get a full time job doing non-Ozzu things.

I did give you access to the beta right?

Don't think I've seen the beta. Would love to check it out!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 45 posts