Ozzu.com is moving to a new server - 02/17/2004

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanted to announce that ozzu.com will be moving to a new server soon which is over twice as powerful. I may be starting the moving process today. Eventually every topic will be locked here which will signal that ozzu.com is in fact on the new server and DNS has been switched. As soon as the DNS propagates you will eventually see ozzu.com on the new server. You will know when this happens when you see topics are no longer locked and a message in the Announcements category which says Ozzu.com has been successfully moved.

This move should greatly increase the speed of ozzu.com and should hopefully resolve many problems that the board is currently facing, such as lag and long posting times.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOOHOO! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excelante!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I second what he said ^

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

*rose does the happy dance
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

[beavis]Hehehe.. speed! Yeah! speed![/beavis]
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. Good luck with the move :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

:thumbsup:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

whoo hoo!!!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is cool! did it just happen, cause I got dns errors for about 10 minutes a little while ago?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it hasn't moved yet. The problem you got a bit ago was the old server overloading and almost crashing.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hence the move, hehe
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the stats on the new box?
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, depending on your time zone, I can't wait untill yesterday (2 days ago) so the sever can get moved :iconthumbleft:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well as I have said the moving process has begun. It may take a few days for me to complete the move as I will be verifying everything is correct so the move will be smooth. The final stage of the move is where I lock all the posts and transfer that latest database to the new server.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh ok I understand now,do you have any estamites on when the final stage will be ready? and how long the topics will be locked?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once the topics are locked it will take about 30 minutes to export, transfer, and import that database into the other server. At that time the topics will be unlocked on the new server and the DNS will be changed to point to the new IP. I have already modified the DNS a few months ago so that the TTL is around 10 minutes. Once I change the DNS it will just be a matter of time before your ISP caches the new results and at that time you will see the new server with the unlocked topics. So depending on your ISP topics could be locked for as llittle as 30 min + 10 minutes = 40 min. I expect to be entering the final stage anywhere between now and 2 days.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't there simply a maintenance mode in phpBB that you can use to essentially turn the forum "off" to the public?

Or is that what you mean when you say locking all the topics? Cuz there's an awful lot of topics here ;)
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh, and then you would have to remeber what topics were already locked so you don't accedently reopen them
and man, thats gotta be alotta work
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I would actually be just locking each forum. I could turn one option so that I could disable the entire board, the problem with that is that no posts are available then which would be bad for GoogleBot and anybody seeking the information. So by disabling each category I can prevent any new posts from taking place which will preserve the database.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is so slick to watch. I know what goes on in this kind of transition, but IMHO it would be a good thing to post the steps you took to accomplish it. Many would benefit from it...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question, when the forums are locked, will mods still be able to post? I don't wanna go posting anything not realising the forums are locked, lol.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

John -- read your install notes. You can lock any/all forums, or just simply lock the whole board. Bigweb's point makes sense. By locking the individual forums, people can still read during the transition, but it virtually locks the database, so the transition can be seamless. And in essence doesn't deter any spiders that may happen to crawl around here in the short duration. I'd love to see his notes after-the-fact. I basically know what he's doing, but I'd be curious to see the exact details.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, the forums are locked, but I've mostly always used phpBB from the admin end, not the moderator end (as far as features like this go anyways).

I've transferred MySQL/PHP based sites over from one server to another before... It's great fun, a LOT of planning to make sure everything goes right, and data/post loss is kept to a minimum (or doesn't exist at all), and I know BigWeb's gonna have a big grin on his face when it all goes smoothly (I always do)..

But just as a moderator can reply to locked forum threads without unlocking them, I wasn't sure whether a moderator could post or not to a locked forum area.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would assume that each topic would be locked instead of each individual thread. That is a smart move BW to modify the DNS ahead of time.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I meant by "the forums", I was thinking in terms of the site being a collection of forums, rather than "the forums" as being the entire site as a whole :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, what's the stats on the new server? How much horsepower under the hood?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is fairly easy to move the forum. The first thing I do is go in the root directory of ozzu.com and type the following command from ssh:

tar -cvf sitecontents.tar ./

That puts the entire site into sitecontents.tar and maintains all permissions on each file. The next thing I do is login to the new server and retrieve that file by typing:

wget ozzu.com/sitecontents.tar

at that point it downloads the tar file. I then unpack the tar file into the root directory of ozzu.com on the new server by typing the following command:

tar -xvf sitecontents.tar

Then I delete sitecontents.tar with this command:

rm sitecontents.tar

At that point I make sure the user and group applied to each file is correct. Since its a new server and the username and group is different, they are wrong. You can check by typing:

ls -la

So I type this to fix that problem from the root directory of ozzu.com

chown -R ozzu.ozzu ./

Now the site is ready to go file wise. The next thing I would do is go in and create the new MySQL database, and give that database a new username and password. I then would go into the configuration file for phpbb (which is in the root directory of the site) and make sure the database is typed in correct, and the correct username and password are given.

The next step is to transfer the database from the old server to the new server so that you can test the forum and make sure everything seems fine. On the old server to save the entire MySQL database to a file I would type something like this:

mysqldump -u yourusername -p phpbbdatabasename > phpbbdatabase.sql

For me this takes a good 20 to 30 minutes because the database is currently around 130 MB. Once it is done I then transfer the database to the new server by typing the following command on the new server in the root directory of ozzu.com

wget ozzu.com/phpbbdatabase.sql

Lucky for me it takes about 10 seconds for it to transfer the 130 megs from one server to the other due to the fast server to server transfer connection.

Now that I have the database file on the new server I need to import that file into MySQL. To do that I type the following command:

mysql -u username -p databasename < phpbbdatabase.sql

This takes awhile as well since the file is so large and mysql has to parse through it all. Once this is done everything should be mostly done. Now what I do is make it so that I can load the website in my browser. Since I am using Windows XP I open up the following file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

At the end of that file I add the following line

44.44.444.44 http://www.ozzu.com

44.44.444.44 would be the actual IP of the new server. What this does is override the Actual DNS and forces your computer to use the new IP (even though I never made any DNS changes). Now when I open up my browser and type in http://www.ozzu.com it will actually load the forum from the new server. I then go through the entire site and check everything out to make sure everything is working correctly. Once I fix everything (there have been a few small problems so far) I will then be ready to goto the old server and lock all the topics. At that point I will repeat some of the commands above and export the MySQL database to a file so that I can transfer it to the new server and re-import that file. Before re-importing I will drop the database from the new server and start with an empty database. Once it is imported I would then edit the DNS and after that all is history. Once I see that no more traffic is going to the old server (including Googlebot), I would then shutdown that website there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow -- wasn't expecting you to post that, in that much detail so fast. Thanks BWM.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did it similar with my sites in the past but never took Google into consideration. It's been basically similar process as above...

Old Server : tar.gz the files (preserving all file ownerships - some of the files are owned by apache), make an error404.html with an ErrorDocument directive in .htacces, shift all the files into a tmp dir. Export the database to a .sql file

New Server : wget the sql file & files off the old box & restore those. Mod file paths, database details, give it a good ol' testing by faking the hostname in the hosts file.

If all is good, nuke the stuff on the old site 'cept for the .htaccess & error doc (basically turning every bookmarked, linked & Google'd URL into an error404).. And within a couple of days everybody started hitting the new server..

Now, I said above that I didn't take Google into consideration, but what I did do was tell all bots to stop spidering me in the robots.txt file on the old server. For the sake of 24-72hrs, this didn't seem to do any damage. They started hitting the new server like crazy as soon as they saw the new IP.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts