Ozzu Upgraded

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

As some of you have already noticed, Ozzu has been upgraded to the latest version of PHPBB and we have installed some new features. There are still many more changes to come, one change will be a new Ozzu theme. Users will be able to choose between the current theme you see now, and a new lighter theme which will become the default Ozzu theme.

Here is a list of what has changed on Ozzu:

• Template Caching System (should help improve performance of Ozzu)
  • PHP Caching System (should also help improve performance of Ozzu)
  • New Pagination Mod (slightly different and less buggy than before)
  • Page Generation Time (For moderators only)
  • Fixed bug with Email, AIM, ICQ buttons not showing for registered members
  • RSS Feeds (actually released that a few weeks ago)
  • Canned Replies to help make things more efficient (For moderators only)
  • New Contact Form
  • Custom Titles (for members with 2500 posts and above)
  • Double Post Control - We should no longer have two identical posts in a row - also has an added benefit of stopping people spamming the same message over and over throughout the board
  • Log Actions Mod (for admin only, allows me to find the moderators who never moderate and the ones who are trouble makers :) )
  • Remove Extra Exclamation Marks automatically from topic titles
  • Remove Extra Question Marks automatically from topic titles
  • Added the ability to revoke a member's editing privileges for their own posts
  • PM Tracker (Allows you to see the entire conversation below the message box while replying to a PM)
  • Multiple Ranks (I can now add additional ranks to members. Primary purpose will be for AoI members in the short run)
  • Automatic Daylight Savings Time (you need to change this option to yes from your profile if you wish to use it) - This modification will automatically change your time to DST when appropriate
  • Member Number (lists the member number on the public profile page)
  • Split Posts and Merge in one step (For moderators only, in the past splitting and merging required two steps)
  • Moderators now colored on the memberlist page
  • Report Posts (allows members to report a bad post such as spam or something breaking the rules) - Reported posts will show up for every moderator of that particular forum. This should reduce clutter in forum topics where some members would publicly try to moderate if someone was doing something wrong. We encourage you to use the report function instead as it will be resolved much quicker and keep topics on track.
  • Signature Control - One of the biggest headaches for moderators have been trying to make sure everyone complies with the signature rules. This is now almost completely automated and should help ensure everyone has a signature that complies with our rules. Note: I will be clearing every member's signature in the next day or so to force everyone to use this new system to make sure they comply.
  • URL Censor Mod - We can now censor certain URLs from showing up in threads. Useful for discouraging particular spammers.
  • Additional Profile Fields - We can now add new fields easily to the profile. Note: I have not added any yet but will be looking for feedback soon on what fields you would like to see added. Examples could include: Gender, Age, Favorite Pet, Short Biography, Best Skill, Worst Skill, Education, etc
  • Watched Topics Management - On the bottom left of the main page there is a link to manage your watched topics. This can be useful if you would like to see all of your watched topics in one place. You can also easily clear watched topics from this list here.
  • Upgraded Spell Checker to latest version. Note: I would like to add additional words to the spell checker in the future. I will be looking for you input down the road on words the current spell checker is missing.
  • Created Report Post Icon and Mark Unread Icon to match current Ozzu theme.

For the most part everything should be working. I have been conquering bugs as I find them. A few members have already pointed out a few which I have resolved. If you notice any bugs, or anything that doesn't seem quite right please post to this thread and I will fix them.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far so good chief. Some good stuff there for sure.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, great stuff boss. Good work :Thumbsup:
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok were is the quick reply box?

"Custom Titles (for members with 2500 posts and above)"
they should be for 1500 and up

"Additional Profile Fields"
i would like to see computer specs such as
Ram:
Speed:
hard drive space:
cd/dvd drive:
motherboard:
so on. and the ones that are filled in are the only ones that show up i think that would be great

i like all the other add on's and can waite to see how they will be used

one more think is there a way we can see the new theme like a screen shot or you can tell us what it looks like. is the dragon still going to be used? if so that would look great i can see it in my head what i would like to see.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what. i cam back to say sorry cose i thought the quick reply was gone and then i went to a diffrent form and seen it there. but now i come back to say sorry and see that it is here when i last posted it was not here
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:

Hmmm your current OZZU rank is "Mastermind" What better title would you like?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
[*]Custom Titles (for members with 2500 posts and above)

I am sure not everyone on Ozzu that has over 2500 posts is as immature to do this, but dont you think that you should disable people ever doing "Super Moderator", "Moderator", or even "Admin"?

I just did a little test and discovered that i could get Super Moderator. It wasn't intended to be anything more than a test, more just curious as to whether a restriction had been put in place for what people typed.

I like the new modifications BWM. Good job!
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything looks great. But what about the emoticons? Can we get some more attracting emoticons?

I wish to know about
Quote:
Canned Replies to help make things more efficient (For moderators only)

I am finding "Choose Canned Message" above text box. What is that?
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I have found the answer at Suggestions/Comments forum. Sorry for this.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
cowkiller wrote:

Hmmm your current OZZU rank is "Mastermind" What better title would you like?

i dont know. might think of something diffrent. lol or i can just post alot for a few months and see if i get to 2500 lol
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i made that test too. after a conversation or two with bwm i had this turned on for the holidays. what im refering to is the custom rank and i tested it out and i know if youve reached 2500 posts your an active member and value ozzu and dont wanna lose they privalges or be banned but even though puttin moderator or super moderator wont get you anywhere it might confuse some of our newer members so yea bwm you might wanna look into this and restrict those two titles
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about for extra profile fields how about:
- Favourite Programming Language/s
- Years of Experience
- Favourite Moderator (Haha, couldn't resist)

Anyway, great work BWM. I love the new upgrades. Can't wait for more :thumbsup:
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few things I've noticed and a few suggestions BWM.
Problems:
- Can't see second rank bar or text
- I don't see a second template to choose
- I don't see a link for Managing your Watched Topics either

Suggestions:
- Possibly make canned messages available for AoI members as-well?
- Showing the time areas for each GMT time (It took me quite a while to figure out mine)
- Make the member's username a link to their public profile page when they post. I find it extremely difficult to get to another's public profile page if they haven't posted or I can't search for them.
- (Probably not practical) A few modding tools for the AoI Groups?
- The button tools (Like [code] and [b] etc) right next to the quick reply box? Otherwise it's not really always quick replying when I end up having to go into new reply and copy all my contents from the quick reply box to the new reply page.

Lol, sorry. Most of my suggestions are aimed to improve AoI.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Most of my suggestions are aimed to improve AoI.

Hmm....
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Can't see second rank bar or text

I have the system implemented, just haven't enabled it yet for use because there are a few bugs I have found. Also I haven't decided if there will be a seperate bar for the other rank yet, it might be something else that stands out differently.

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
I don't see a second template to choose

The template is still in the works. It has not been released yet.

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
I don't see a link for Managing your Watched Topics either

It is on the bottom left of the main page of ozzu by the statistics and meet the moderators link.

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Possibly make canned messages available for AoI members as-well?

There was talk of this in the suggestions area, however, it is really only useful if you repeat the same things often. The only thing that really was pointed out was for the hijack this logs. Do you find yourself repeating what you say?

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Showing the time areas for each GMT time (It took me quite a while to figure out mine)

I am not exactly certain what you are referring to here. When you say showing the time area are you meaning like a map of the world?

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Make the member's username a link to their public profile page when they post. I find it extremely difficult to get to another's public profile page if they haven't posted or I can't search for them.

I am a little confused on this one. You said to make their username link to their public profile if they post. First there is already a profile link on each post made by someone, and second I do not see how making a link (which already exists), would solve the problem if they haven't posted yet? Maybe I am not understanding.

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
(Probably not practical) A few modding tools for the AoI Groups?

Can you be more specific?

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
The button tools (Like [code] and [b] etc) right next to the quick reply box? Otherwise it's not really always quick replying when I end up having to go into new reply and copy all my contents from the quick reply box to the new reply page.

Interesting idea, I might be able to implement that.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am not exactly certain what you are referring to here. When you say showing the time area are you meaning like a map of the world?

I believe what was meant is, for example:

(GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

instead of just GMT -05:00.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh I see, yeah I will look into that.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry if I was a vague on the details:
Bigwebmaster wrote:
Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Make the member's username a link to their public profile page when they post. I find it extremely difficult to get to another's public profile page if they haven't posted or I can't search for them.

I am a little confused on this one. You said to make their username link to their public profile if they post. First there is already a profile link on each post made by someone, and second I do not see how making a link (which already exists), would solve the problem if they haven't posted yet? Maybe I am not understanding.
Well, what I actually meant is: I always find it rather difficult to get to the member's public profile page if I'm not on the homepage and they aren't the one who has posted the newest post. Am I still making sence?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to see some mod privileges (post editing) for AoI members....reasoning below:

We are about Accuracy of Information...which means we are here to make sure new users searching for information that find ozzu posts actually get the help they need.

In order to get information on issues to users (and guests) as easily as possible they would need to skip all of the posts that didn't solve a problem or had bad/biased information. I've never seen a soul on this forum edit their topic to include a link to the post that answered their question (much like experts-exchange.com and other forums)...though it would keep us from reading 12 posts and search our brains on how to help only to find that we aren't needed anymore.

Editing a post would be beneficial because we could edit out excess information that is not relevant to the topic starter's question, or is just incorrect.

I also understand the reasons you might not want to do this....so I've come up with a solution....when an AoI member makes a change to a post, it shows up immediately, but then the proper Mod is sent a message of the change with a link to change it back like it was before....no hassle.

Oh yeah...and I'd also like to see some more info in the profile....perhaps a list of websites the user runs....hardware specs....more contact information.....etc.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Editing a post would be beneficial because we could edit out excess information that is not relevant to the topic starter's question, or is just incorrect.

Completely understand your point on that, but given the fact that even the moderators are not allowed to take that much liberty in post editing, I can almost assure you that's not what Bigweb will want to do.

Granted, the post content may be wrong, or inaccurate, but that is specifically why AoI was implemented. For you guys to correct the innacuracies by posting the correct information and when possible, why and how.

Nothing at all wrong with your points. They are all valid, but after two years of moderating and close contact with Bigweb, I can tell you not to expect that. The mod staff limit our "edits" strictly to what violates board rules. I would be greatly surprised to see him allow the entirety of what you suggest.

As an alternative, however, there shoud be a way that can be created to somehow highlight an AoI member's post in some means, in order to give a little higher weight to the importance of what the AoI member is posting so that it stands out above the other posts. I've seen you guys working, and you're all on track with what it's supposed to be about. We just need to think of a method to identify the significance of your posts more effectively.

Setting aside any significant programming modifications for the moment, with OZZU's current style, the one thing I could suggest for you guys to do when posting corrected information (vs. casual input) is highlight your correction posts in the Orange BBCode color. That's what most of the mods do when we want something to stand out. Given the current board theme, I've personally found that the orange color stands out on the current background the best and is the most readable. Maybe that would be a temporary help?
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I'd like to see some mod privileges (post editing) for AoI members....reasoning below:

We are about Accuracy of Information...which means we are here to make sure new users searching for information that find ozzu posts actually get the help they need.

In order to get information on issues to users (and guests) as easily as possible they would need to skip all of the posts that didn't solve a problem or had bad/biased information. I've never seen a soul on this forum edit their topic to include a link to the post that answered their question (much like experts-exchange.com and other forums)...though it would keep us from reading 12 posts and search our brains on how to help only to find that we aren't needed anymore.

I also understand the reasons you might not want to do this....so I've come up with a solution....when an AoI member makes a change to a post, it shows up immediately, but then the proper Mod is sent a message of the change with a link to change it back like it was before....no hassle.

Oh yeah...and I'd also like to see some more info in the profile....perhaps a list of websites the user runs....hardware specs....more contact information.....etc.
This was pretty much exactly what I was trying to suggest in my previous post.
Funny_Fuzz wrote:
- (Probably not practical) A few modding tools for the AoI Groups?
You probably said it better than I ever could have, Truce. Lol :lol:
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO wrote:
As an alternative, however, there shoud be a way that can be created to somehow highlight an AoI member's post in some means, in order to give a little higher weight to the importance of what the AoI member is posting so that it stands out above the other posts.

Oh I feel the weight. Then I would like to request that the AoI group moderator should be given that privilage which message to give the "importance" or to highlight cause we are human at last.
But at the conclusion I think if AoI's are the source of most accurate information then the accuracy is their greatest weight. The helped members can feel that weight. Well just my thoughts...
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

pramitroy wrote:
ATNO wrote:
As an alternative, however, there shoud be a way that can be created to somehow highlight an AoI member's post in some means, in order to give a little higher weight to the importance of what the AoI member is posting so that it stands out above the other posts.

Oh I feel the weight. Then I would like to request that the AoI group moderator should be given that privilage which message to give the "importance" or to highlight cause we are human at last.
But at the conclusion I think if AoI's are the source of most accurate information then the accuracy is their greatest weight. The helped members can feel that weight. Well just my thoughts...
...?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for spending the time improving Ozzu BWM.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

when will the new theme be ready?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sure we will all find out when its ready for general public usage when the 3 Series is ready.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts