TUTORIAL: Making tutorials for Ozzu Howto

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Introduction

With the upgrade to phpBB3 we now have subcategory support and will have tutorial sub sections in many forum categories across Ozzu. If you have a tutorial you want to place on Ozzu but see no tutorial category for it, please use our suggestions forum to make the request. Any registered user is welcome to post a tutorial, please keep in mind though that they will not show up until approved by a moderator. The reason why it will be on an approved basis is because our tutorial format must meet specific guidelines. This will make it easier for members following tutorials because the format will be consistent. It will also keep the tutorial forums free of junk.

The Tutorial Format

Each title of a tutorial should have this format:

TUTORIAL: Name of Tutorial

and then the actual post should have an introduction, sub headings, and a conclusion of some sorts. Every heading should be bold, underlined, and size large -- just like you see on this page. You can do that with code like this (take the space out of the first bbcode):

Code: [ Select ]
[tuthead ]Your heading[/tuthead]
Paragraph starts here...
  1. [tuthead ]Your heading[/tuthead]
  2. Paragraph starts here...

So for example it would look something like this:

Quote:

Introduction

The introduction here ... blah blah blah ... blah blah.

Sub Heading 1

Information here, can use any bbcodes such as code tags, lists, images, etc. Images should be done using the attach feature of ozzu to make sure that the tutorials always work in the future.

Sub Heading 2

More info here ...

Conclusion

The conclusion here ...

Tutorial Content

The tutorial is allowed to have text, images, code, quotes, colors, etc. You can fully use the BBCode system to help make things more clear. If you are unsure how to use BBCode please read this:

faq.php?mode=bbcode

If you choose to use images please attach them to the post. We will not allow externally linked images because they are not reliable to work in the future. In our tutorial forums all registered users will be able to attach images, movies, text files, programming files, zip files, and more. You can access the attachment area by looking below the posting box in the Additional Posting Preferences section. That section will let you know precisely what types of attachments are allowed. Here is a screenshot of what I am referring to:

Attachments:
tutorialss.jpg

Screenshot of the upload attachment area on Ozzu

Tutorial Replies

Since you are the author of the tutorial, you will have the ability to keep the tutorial open for replies, or you can lock the tutorial if you do not want to bother with that. You do not need a moderator to lock your topic, you are able to do this yourself after you have posted the topic.

Tutorial Approval Process

The tutorial approval process is fairly straightforward. Any registered member can go into a tutorial section and create a new tutorial. You do this by simply creating a new topic in that section. Remember while you are in the middle of making your tutorial you can also save the tutorial as a Draft if you would like to come back to it later before submitting it. Once you have fully formatted the tutorial you can go ahead and post it to that tutorial forum.

At this point only you and moderators will see your topic, no other registered user will see it. Once a moderator comes around they will take a look at your tutorial to make sure its fits within our tutorial guidelines. If it does, they will approve the tutorial and it will then show up in that tutorial sub category. If it does not fit wihin guidelines the moderator will simply reply to your tutorial topic letting you know the problems. Once all the problems are fixed, the moderator will remove all of the additional comments so that only the tutorial is left. If the moderator feels the tutorial has no chance to being approved they may delete it completely.

Rules

Any tutorial submitted cannot be for the purpose of promoting your website. What this means is you cannot have embedded links in a tutorial referencing your website period. You are allowed to attach your signature which may have your links to your website.

A tutorial must be your own work. You cannot copy and paste someone else's work and claim it is your tutorial. This is called copyright infringement and will not be tolerated.

Conclusion

I think the tutorial sub sections will make a great addition to Ozzu. I know it is something that many Ozzu members have been wanting. We hope everyone enjoys the tutorials and have fun making them!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if the tutorial requires to have images in it... how do we put that as an attachment and show it to them?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reread the Tutorial Content section.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I figured it out already... All I had to do was attach and click "Place Inline". I figured it out on a test forum... Thanks though.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see a Java or C# section?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:

Um that is Javascript? Big difference between Java and Javascript :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whatever. Damn programmers ;)
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Whatever. Damn programmers ;)

LOL Ah man I had a good laugh when I read that! Thanks Grinch
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will add more as someone is going to be ready to create/submit one. If you have a tutorial to submit and the category does not exist please let me know and I will create it for you. The reason I would like to do it this way is because there are many (MANY!) different programming languages. If you have something you are working on Rabid Dog please let me know and I will get the sub categories added.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Roger that Big Web. Will let you know when it is ready. Thanks for taking notice :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just saying... now you can use the tag [tuthead]... for the headings :) (Thanks to Big Web :) )
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

anyone else notice that the "tuthead" bbcode doesn't underline the heading? BigWeb - Any way to fix that? Right now when I write tuts I have to use bbcode like this:

Code: [ Select ]

[tuthead ][u ]Heading[/u][/tuthead]

2. [tuthead ][u ]Heading[/u][/tuthead]
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a test

Seems to work for me? Do you see an underline on this above? It shows for me. What browser and OS are you using if you still do not see an underline?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see the underline as well.
(FF3, XP)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I remember right, there's no underline in the preview, but there is on the thread itself.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Confirmed that. The preview area should have the underline too now. SB, I remembered to fix it in the dark theme too ;)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
SB, I remembered to fix it in the dark theme too ;)

Whoa, i cannot believe it :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts