About to set up a Hackintosh Dual-boot (storage question)

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Checked my hardware against Kakewalk, and I'm good to go on that. Just bought OSX Lion for 30 bucks from apple. Have a copy of windows 7 x64 ultimate.

I have 3 hard drives:
  • 1x500GB Hard drive (Will install mac on this one)
  • 1x1TB Hard drive (Will install windows on this one)
  • 1x2TB Hard drive (Will Partition into 2x1TB Partitions and use for storage)

From what I read around the interwebs, Windows can't write to HFS+ (mac file system) and Mac can't write to NTFS (windows file system). I'd like to have read/write access on my storage hard drive from both operating systems.

What I think might be a solution is to split my 2TB storage drive into 2 equal partitions, one as an NTFS and one as an HFS+. Then have software run in the background for both windows and mac that will copy any changes from one partition to the other and vice-versa. That way, I have an exact copy between my HFS+ and NTFS partition. Anyone know of software that exists to do this? Or, even better...a cleaner way of dealing with this issue? Would really like to just have a single copy of my stuff but I'm a bit frazzled as to what steps to take for that to happen and work well with both operating systems.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am up and running. I went with a FAT32 file system - both windows and mac can partition, read, and write to this type of partition. Now everythings in one spot :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts