Are you a smoker? No warranty for you !

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Apple is trying to pull a fast one and void warranties of smokers.

I smell an eventual class action lawsuit if there's any truth to this.
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes! this is crazy!
in fact, this seem to be either a political action or really an attempt to avoid refund expenses.
There needs to be 10 people constantly smoking in a bathroom-size room for about a year to have impact on the hardware.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There needs to be 10 people constantly smoking in a bathroom-size room for about a year to have impact on the hardware.

I beg to differ. Smoking produces tar, tar sticks to computer fans and everything else which reduces the computers ability to get rid of heat.

Smoking around a computer is definitely not good for it. Almost everyone I know who smokes and uses a computer, smokes while sitting at the computer using it, occasionally people will start smoking outside but let's face it, smokers are creatures of habit and that almost never lasts long.

I think where Apple runs into trouble with this is just suddenly deciding they're going to void warranties without warning for something that's an activity many, many people are known to do.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is pretty stupid. I can understand banning smoking in restaurants, but saying that voids a warranty is really pushing it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That certainly could be a biohazard :lol:

Apple is going too far to save some money.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

HelgaValerie wrote:
Yes! this is crazy!
in fact, this seem to be either a political action or really an attempt to avoid refund expenses.

That sounds like my work :lol:

Mind that will be interesting to see, are people addicted to smoking or to there computers its time to pick sides!
Im okay because I don't smoke or own anything made by apple - not even an ipod, mad, I live in the dark ages!
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's interesting that they would take a stand like that. I am not a huge Mac fan but I guess if you look at the way they insist on being expensive, exclusive and doing things their way - this isn't too far out of their line of thinking
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

They should not be doing this without first updating the AppleCare terms and conditions.

But it is the right thing to do.

If I have a cat sleep in front of the vents of the computer, or I drink pop and place it in front of the imac and spill, why should Apple pay for that?
Smoking is just another contaminant that ruins computers.

My parents have a computer and they smoke, and one time I went to put ram in it.. yuck, canned air did nothing to the buildup.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had a thought.

I wonder what the lessor evil is between warranty customers suing Apple for this, and technicians suing Apple for health problems caused by working with these "biohazards". :scratchhead:
  • britneylavota1
  • britneylavota1

Post 3+ Months Ago

no no i am not smoker and i also dont like smoking..good job.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad I use a computer and not a Mac. :lol:

...and I know better than to smoke around my kids or my computers.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll never forget the first drag I took of a cigerette as long as I live. I was like 3 or 4 years old and my mom let me hit her cigarette while she was tanning in the back yard because I wouldn't quit bugging her about it. I thought I was going to die.
  • kukuruza
  • Born
  • Born
  • kukuruza

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no I have thrown and I consider that it is necessary to get rid of this habit!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder how long it will be before a scientific report on the adverse effects of smoking on a computer to support Apple in their quest to void warranties shows up.
  • henrinaiara
  • henrinaiara

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am happy as a non-smoker and would love to work in non-smoking area
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use to kind of stand up for smokers rights and stuff, but nowadays I'm taking a different view point mostly out of stubbornness and politics. I use to say that having smoking be banned in bars is stupid because thats is just what you do, you go to the bar and smoke and drink. But now I say that cigarettes or any other tobacco and all alcohol should be banned completely (of course I won't stop drinking). And my reason for this is because it is proven that cigarettes have really negative health affects on the smoker and people around him, but it is socially acceptable and even considered "cool". But marijuana, a harmless substance medically proven to have a positive impact for certain ailments, is strictly banned federally. So I say that if we are going to ban some drugs, we should ban them all. I told that to a smoker once who was pretty harsh on the "pot heads and dope smokers" and said that they are useless and give nothing to society, and he was floored. He was pissed off because that is an infringement on his rights, he has the right to put any substance into his body that he wants. So I countered him and said almost exactly what he said word for word, but used it in the context of smoking a joint instead of a marbelo red. He hasn't been quite so verbal about pot heads being the scum of society since then.

</end_off_topic>

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts