Convert WMV to MOV?

• artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

What software does the best job in converting WMV to MOV video format? By "best job" I mean "least amount of quality loss".

Thanks in advanced.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always used ffmpeg for my basic video conversions. If you use a Mac, try ffmpegx: http://homepage.mac.com/major4

Not sure how great the quality is in comparison to other utilities, but the price is good (free).
  • artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I'm on a PC. That is why I'm have WMV. I want to convert to MOV because I think Mac folks like MOV. Perhaps, I'm in the wrong forum.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't say I'm too familiar with the Windows utilities available for the job. From poking around Google there seem to be plenty of utilities for the job, but I couldn't tell you which gives the best quality.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macs should still be able to open wmv files, even though they may have to download the windows media player for mac. The utility I use for video conversion to mac is free and very good actually. Though it converts to mp4 format. But I love it, maybe give it a try:

http://www.download.com/Free-iPod-Video ... ag=lst-0-1

It's labeled as an ipod video converter, but you can specify the resolution to be the original or to the 320x240 of an ipod. You can also select the quality of resolution and sound for the conversion, which is very handy is managing the file sizes.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the HandBrake detail page:
Quote:
Supported sources:

* Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (encrypted or unencrypted, but protection methods other than CSS are not supported and must be handled externally with third-party software), and some .VOB and .TS files
* PAL or NTSC
* AC-3, DTS, LPCM or MPEG audio track

Doesn't look like WMV is a valid source, which is what the OP needs.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the VLC video player for watching windows media videos on OS X, and you cant beat the cost when it's free! But if you want to do conversions, I have done similar stuff with the Avid video editing software. They do have a free version for windows and mac and quite a few tutorials. You will have to import the wmv, then turn around and export it as a mov. All that is covered in those tutorials.
  • breezing
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • breezing

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a program called total video converter with which all popular video formats can be converted to one another. You can try to google it.
  • boboch
  • Born
  • Born
  • boboch

Post 3+ Months Ago

WMV to MOV: Convert Video from WMV(Windows Media Video) to MOV(QuickTime Movie) with River Past Video Cleaner.
To convert from WMV(Windows Media Video) to MOV(QuickTime Movie) video with River Past Video Cleaner, you must have River Past MOV Booster Pack installed. You will also need to install QuickTime. OR
Using YASA Video Converter to convert WMV to MOV
  • breezing
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • breezing

Post 3+ Months Ago

video converter platinum is also a nice choice.
it is able to convert between video formats including wmv, mov, 3gp, mp4, mpeg, avi, flv, asf, qt, etc...
  • johnqh
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnqh

Post 3+ Months Ago

River Past Video Cleaner is a good video conversion software. However, to convert to MOV, you will need the MOV Booster Pack add-on package.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Instead of spamming any more, let's just make a broad suggestion to search google for what you need. As with anything, you get what you pay for. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts