Does anyone have a mac pro tower?

• Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
currently I'm running a dual 2ghz mac g5 tower but I was wondering how the new mac pro towers with the intel chips are? Any comments or recomendations? Is it worth the switch?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I was wondering how the new Mac Pro towers with the Intel chips are?"

They are yummy.

"Any comments or recommendations?"

They are yummy.

"Is it worth the switch?

That I can't answer, as I switched from a PC. What I can say is that it probably depends on what you do. If you rely heavily on Adobe's suite of applications, for example, then you're probably getting better performance from your configuration than I am from mine right now. 3D? Same thing (depending on app). ZBrush 2 runs better on my 512MB, 1.5GHz Athlon XP box than it does on my 2GB RAM, 2x3GHz Mac Pro, which is pretty embarrassing. Anything that relies on Rosetta consistently performs rather poorly in benchmarks on Intel-igent machines. However, universal binaries rock. Unfortunately, the bane of every early adopter exists here as well--there are simply not enough applications yet that really take advantage of the hardware. That will change over the next several months, of course, especially with the release of Leopard.

.g
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, I'm excited for the new os. The problem with the g5's is that nothing takes advantage of the 64 bit architecture so I'm only getting a fraction of its true procesing power... :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts