I've *finally* decided to make the switch

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm really not impressed by the GUI's available for linux. They all seem sort of clumsy or under-developed. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love linux for server-based stuff and I'd never put Windows or Mac Os Server on a server....but I'm just not a fan of it for desktop stuff.

Oh, and I will NOT accept that Lynx is a suitable replacement for a real browser...yes I need my GUI. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I'm really not impressed by the GUI's available for linux. They all seem sort of clumsy or under-developed. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love linux for server-based stuff and I'd never put Windows or Mac Os Server on a server....but I'm just not a fan of it for desktop stuff.

Oh, and I will NOT accept that Lynx is a suitable replacement for a real browser...yes I need my GUI. :)

(O_o) ever heard of xgl? aiglx? because they're beautiful && fun. MUCH better than "aero".. and there are default themes installed with Beryl which are pretty much identical to the themes in Vista, along with many more you'll never find in vista ;) sounds like you've been using the wrong distro's...
and who said anything about lynx? lol i need my gui too.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never even heard of Beryl....apparently I have been using the wrong distros....I've only played with CentOS, Debian, and FC3.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking of making a complete switch from windows to Linux and Mac. Linux on current machines and in a year or more when I buy my next lappy I will probably get a Mac.

I was really held back by the idea of switching until I booted up my lappy yesterday, I have not turned it on in a couple months except to use as the occasional GPS device. When I turned it on, a windows process was using up over 70% of the CPU and even after reboots it would not let up more than 40% and everything I tried to do was dragging on the computer.

Even interenet searches, once hte mouse pointer focused on the address bar I could type hte address, hit enter, and wait awhile for my text to slowly be inputed into the browser. Once it started inputting it took about 2-3 seconds per letter.

Something has to change :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I've never even heard of Beryl....apparently I have been using the wrong distros....I've only played with CentOS, Debian, and FC3.

yeaa..thats pretty outdated. lol you should check out FC6, its pretty nice.. thats where i have aiglx running. suse 10.2 is really nice too.. right now they're probably my personal top 2 distro's. with suse its more how the menu's are setup, both on the gnome and kde desktops. they're just kind of fun to use.. lol and xgl/aiglx is just fun. like, moving a window (browser/im/terminal/whatever) is fun. thats kind of ridiculous, but its true, lol.

MasterZ, thats ridiculous. and typical. lol
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ubuntu + Beryl looks like fun.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:

hm..that looks somewhat more fun than what i was using with fedora + beryl, although i was using aiglx and thats using xgl. although i may have to give ubuntu an install... i haven't done so in quite a while. lol
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:

oh...it's all that && a bag of chips :D
this is too fun... lol

up until now i've somewhat despised ubuntu. it never played well with my ATi video card, nor did it want to work with any of my friends. but once you get the past initial "no display" bug and get it going, it works pretty well. and this tutorial for getting ATi drivers + Beryl + Xgl working together is pretty complete.

and to think...earlier tonight i was somewhat considering giving up on linux ^_^
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice one. Thanks for the link, that'll likely come in handy.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankful for the affordability of computers I am. Without all the crappy windows work not much would I have been able to afford...
As for the car comment: Well, yeah, if you like horsepower, speed, quality engineering, and high insurance premiums -- that's an aside -- then the toyota loses. If you like a decent ride with the better milage, then toyota wins...I don't know what the most fuel efficient Ferrarri is...Rant rant rant

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts