I've *finally* decided to make the switch

• blackhole8746
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

To hell with Microsoft and their crappy, horribly written bloated software... I'm a mac user now. At least mac works as I always like to say... Windows crashes so much and causes so much problems that some people start thinking it's a hardware problem... As far as I'm concerned, Windows doesn't really operate the machine... :roll:

First thing I noticed when I loaded Mac OS X 10.4 for the first time is a sense of security. It loads fast, every thing you do is applied instantly, no reboots, no crashes, and an awesome sense of trust, cleanliness and security. I will be upgrading to 10.5 when that comes out... I also was a Windows Vista Post RC1 beta tester being an MSDN member... I'll be posting my true opinion out Windows Vista later on
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't afford to upgrade to a mac

:(

congrats on making the changing, I hear good things about mac's.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slow down...Too many of you are making the swith too, too fast. Pretty soon all the viruses are going to be Mac based. :)
  • krismeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • krismeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

mac is too expencive for me to switch too.
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Loc: Mississauga, On

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hell yeah, Windows sucks ass, Macs4lyfe!
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macs aren't as pricey as they were. The mac mini's are cheap, take little space, and are very capable. i know i have one : )
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
Macs aren't as pricey as they were. The mac mini's are cheap, take little space, and are very capable. i know i have one : )

amen

i gotta intel mini about month ago and im say im glad to have made that switch...at first I was reluctant but aftter reading reviews and getting extremely pissed at my previous pc, the switch was made. and you my friend have summed up everything i have experienced with my first mac, too

anyways, im glad to see more mac-oriented ppl...and lmao no, viruses for macs aren't created as much because they are more extremely difficult, not because ppl dont know about them...:p
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

must be nice having the intel mini. i have the first gen mini.
  • isip
  • isip

Post 3+ Months Ago

And if you need any advise on stuff you'd like to do, don't hesitate to ask me ! You won't have anymore to research this crappy drivers or 3rd party program all the time like on Windows ! In a mac, the main features are built-in.

Just to give a preview to the person who still don't know Mac OS X yet, it allows : it can :
- do a very quick research- 5 sec max for ANY kind of research - according to many criteria in just clicking on one magnifying lense (Spotlight)
- order your own photo album, calender, gift card (iPhoto)
- have very quick access to web based apps like stocks, weather, translator (Widget)
- send SMS ( Adress Book )
- video conference with more than 1 other fellow (iChat)
- download for free podcast about cookery, news, etc. ( iTunes )
- talk to your computer ( Speech pref )
and many other nice stuff !

WTG black !
  • Stayhome
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stayhome
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is great, what is the best reasonable entry level mac to buy?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably a mini. I havent checked them out in a long time but i believe they come with core 2 duos and plenty of connections compared to the first gen minis all for a starting price of 600 bucks (i may be wrong though they might of upped it to 700 but still check them out on the apple website).
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stayhome wrote:
That is great, what is the best reasonable entry level mac to buy?

well the cheapest would be the mini which just comes with the pc itself. not a mouse/keyboard/monitor. the next step up as a desktop solution would be the 17" iMac and i'd probably go for one of those if you were interested in macs, but not sure if you'd like them / not want to invest a lot into them. the mini i believe is like $599, the 17" iMac is $999
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

imac would probably be best since it comes with everything and has good specs for a decent price (ive been tempted even though i already own 2 macs). but mini is great for saving space and portability.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
imac would probably be best since it comes with everything and has good specs for a decent price (ive been tempted even though i already own 2 macs). but mini is great for saving space and portability.

and money.. lol its a little easier to get $600 than it is to get $1,000 :]
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

there's a reason why ferrarri is better than toyota.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats true. Really both are good and you cant go wrong with either. Just keep in mind the mini comes with just that. a mini with power adapter and dvi adapter and the imac comes with everything needed.
  • majocmatt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • majocmatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an intel 2.0GHz macbook and I love it. Don't be fooled by the hardcore Maccers however, it is not 'generally' better than a Windows based machine. This is a common argument where Windows users throw overwhelming usage stats at Mac users and Mac users regurgitate Steve Jobs' one liners.

True, viruses are written predominantly for Windows, but.. I've never gotten a virus on windows, because I never downloaded something I wasn't supposed to.

Mac's do have to reboot, programs do indeed crash, so it's not a one way street. Their still computers.

As a Windows user, XP Pro is a great OS in my opinion. It's very stable.

Oh and for Vista, it's basically XP with OS X core graphics.
  • majocmatt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • majocmatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
there's a reason why ferrarri is better than toyota.

Marketing
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever driven a Ferrari majocmatt? Do you have any idea about cars? It has nothing to do with marketing. In fact, Ferrari doesn't advertise...

Ferrari has been around since 1947 and they started out making race cars. They've won plenty of races in real tournaments. How many races has Toyota won? Precisely zero.

There's really no comparison to a Toyota when you sit down behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I own a brand-new Lexus and even those are made by Toyota and it still doesn't compare to a Ferrari...not even a little bit.

---

Glad to see more people interested in Macs. I bought one back in October of last year and I don't regret it. I have my PC and 20" iMac sitting right next to each other and I use them both all the time.

And while the Mac is very cool, it does have it's fair share of issues. I mean, I haven't seen my screen popup ugly blue windows, but I have had programs crash, and Mail hangs quite frequently for 3-5 seconds. The Mac has just as many security updates as Windows. And Apple support sucks. Sure, they're friendly, but they know nothing about computers.

But drag-and-drop installs, hot-corners, that really cool default screensaver, great color, along with bluetooth built in make up for it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Have you ever driven a Ferrari majocmatt? Do you have any idea about cars? It has nothing to do with marketing. In fact, Ferrari doesn't advertise...

Ferrari has been around since 1947 and they started out making race cars. They've won plenty of races in real tournaments. How many races has Toyota won? Precisely zero.

There's really no comparison to a Toyota when you sit down behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I own a brand-new Lexus and even those are made by Toyota and it still doesn't compare to a Ferrari...not even a little bit.

---

Glad to see more people interested in Macs. I bought one back in October of last year and I don't regret it. I have my PC and 20" iMac sitting right next to each other and I use them both all the time.

And while the Mac is very cool, it does have it's fair share of issues. I mean, I haven't seen my screen popup ugly blue windows, but I have had programs crash, and Mail hangs quite frequently for 3-5 seconds. The Mac has just as many security updates as Windows. And Apple support sucks. Sure, they're friendly, but they know nothing about computers.

But drag-and-drop installs, hot-corners, that really cool default screensaver, great color, along with bluetooth built in make up for it.

HAH, yes. love the rant.

i dont even try calling apple for support, i just head to forums like macosxhints.com and mac-forums.com
it's also annoying that its difficult to run windows software on a mac. and the only possibly "good" solutions cost $$
in linux its pretty easy to get your windows version of Office installed or get on Steam and play some CS :]
but *shrug* like you said, the features are nice..
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, okay, i have never had a chance putting my fingers on any other PC besides IBM-PC in my whole computing life even i have already heard the rumblings that "REALLY MAC IS BETTER THAN PC! AND PC JUST KEEP COPYING MAC!" for ages. now i have decided to throw away my inferior windows-runned PC for good.

but then, can i get a Mac without joining the "Mac cult"?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:

doubtful. lol at least not from a non-Mac user's point of view. because they'll ask something or you'll make a statement and you'll have to back it up. in that person's eyes, you're now part of that cult but really you're just trying to be informative and helpful.
and possibly somewhat obsessive at times, but *shrug* we're only human..
:]
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
doubtful. lol at least not from a non-Mac user's point of view. because they'll ask something or you'll make a statement and you'll have to back it up. in that person's eyes, you're now part of that cult but really you're just trying to be informative and helpful.

nyay! caveat emptor for Mac wannabes....there's no getting away from Mac religion once you buy a MAC lol. (juz kidding)

Steve Job did really made a privileged class out of computer kingdom.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
AnarchY SI wrote:

nyay! caveat emptor for Mac wannabes....there's no getting away from Mac religion once you buy a MAC lol. (juz kidding)

Steve Job did really made a privileged class out of computer kingdom.

:shrug: if you didn't have to buy a new one every time you wanted to upgrade one part, it would be more widely accepted IMO..
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
And while the Mac is very cool, it does have it's fair share of issues. I mean, I haven't seen my screen popup ugly blue windows,

Apple's answer to the BSOD is the Kernel Panic error that results when Mac OS X encounters a fatal software or hardware error. But why cant you appreciate the zen beauty of the kernel panic's dark, transparent acetate layer that says "look! I'm a graphic design showoff even in death!" lol
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
Apple's answer to the BSOD is the Kernel Panic error that results when Mac OS X encounters a fatal software or hardware error. But why cant you appreciate the zen beauty of the kernel panic's dark, transparent acetate layer that says "look! I'm a graphic design showoff even in death!" lol

yea..you can probably blame that on the Unix side of things.
:shrug: nobodys perfect..
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:

Yes.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I'd rather have a pretty error than an ugly error. It almost makes me want to have one so I can see what it looks like...haha.

Quote:
:shrug: if you didn't have to buy a new one every time you wanted to upgrade one part, it would be more widely accepted IMO..

Technically you don't. The laptops are just as restrictive as any other laptop, yes. The iMac is fairly restrictive as well, which sucks. If you're really getting a powerhouse though, the desktop macs are just like PC's...you can replace hardware...etc. I haven't tried it myself, but my buddy swears by it.

Being part of the Mac Cult is one of the funnest parts. All of a sudden early mornings can be spent with pretty graphics and transitions while reading my email, instead of funky error noises and message boxes. Honestly, I really like having the Mac there when my PC takes a crap.

I recommend getting a Mac to put right beside your PC. Admittedly, I have more money to blow on getting another computer, but still...life's just more fun when you have computers with all flavors of OS on them so you can run anything....no more shouting "F*** it's for Mac!" :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Technically you don't. The laptops are just as restrictive as any other laptop, yes. The iMac is fairly restrictive as well, which sucks. If you're really getting a powerhouse though, the desktop macs are just like PC's...you can replace hardware...etc. I haven't tried it myself, but my buddy swears by it.

yea..the only macs i have interaction with are imacs and laptops. lol

Truce wrote:
Honestly, I really like having the Mac there when my PC takes a crap.

i just reboot to linux, lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts