HDD size limitation on Mac?

• jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

As a newbie to the Mac world, I am wondering what the HDD size limitation factors are on Macs, if any?

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

On a desktop? SATA? Whatever the highest is right now... 750? a terabyte? Mac, un-Mac, doesn't matter, connections/cables (SATA, Firewire, USB) are the same.
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply!

I take it you are saying "there are not the limitations such as the BIOS limitations experienced in the PC world."

You input IS appreciated.

Thanks!
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good question, John, and one I can't answer with complete certainty. I'm still pretty new to the platform, myself. To the best of my knowledge, however, it's the interface that would present any sort of limitation (like having to buy an SATA card for an older Mac or something) rather than the drive's size. Again to the best of my knowledge, as long as you've got the right connections, you just plug it in and it works.
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.K., I've a new 300 Gb IDE I think... that might make a good test for my purposes. I'll try it on an older machine just to test it.

Thanks,
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

jdh77 wrote:
O.K., I've a new 300 Gb IDE I think... that might make a good test for my purposes. I'll try it on an older machine just to test it.

Thanks,

it'll handle 300GB without a problem. if you'd really want to test the limits you'd need a couple terabytes for older systems and for OS X you'd need more storage than what most people have fluid funds for :]

Quote:
System 7.5.2 (and newer) increases this limit to 2 terabytes on some computers,...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=11333

Quote:
Volume and file limits in Mac OS X
Maximum number of volumes - No limit
Maximum volume size and file size - 2, 8, or 16 terabytes
(1, 2)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25557

heh.. its interesting that you when you write gigabyte, you have an uppercase G and lowercase b which would normally indicate gigabit, but since you referenced hdd space the assumed difference is made ^_^
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
jdh77 wrote:

Thanks,

it'll handle 300GB without a problem. if you'd really want to test the limits you'd need a couple terabytes for older systems and for OS X you'd need more storage than what most people have fluid funds for :]

This pretty much answers the original question... the answer I sought!

Quote:
System 7.5.2 (and newer) increases this limit to 2 terabytes on some computers,...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=11333

Volume and file limits in Mac OS X
Maximum number of volumes - No limit
Maximum volume size and file size - 2, 8, or 16 terabytes
(1, 2)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25557

Wow! GREAT!

Quote:
heh.. its interesting that you when you write gigabyte, you have an uppercase G and lowercase b which would normally indicate gigabit, but since you referenced hdd space the assumed difference is made ^_^

Sorry about that! Freudian slip? noooo... truthfully I never gave it a thought... Thank you... you are correct. I'll go forth and sin no more! :lol:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

jdh77 wrote:
Sorry about that! Freudian slip? noooo... truthfully I never gave it a thought... Thank you... you are correct. I'll go forth and sin no more! :lol:

*in a southern priest accent* Good, the Lord blesses the righteous!
;) lolz
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
jdh77 wrote:

*in a southern priest accent* Good, the Lord blesses the righteous!
;) lolz

lol

1st liar doesn't stand a chance, does he? :twisted:
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I'm pretty sure that if there is a HD size limitation it is over 1.5 or 2 terrabytes. Especially in the new Mac Towers since I know they can handle two terrabytes (4 internal 500 GB HD) I would imagine if there is a limitation it would be more of a running out of SATA connections problem than anything else
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea.. b/c the post hasn't already been answered with documentation from Apple's website.
?
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
lol yea.. b/c the post hasn't already been answered with documentation from Apple's website.
?

lol... you don't suppose it's about the sig, do you?

8>)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

jdh77 wrote:
lol... you don't suppose it's about the sig, do you?

8>)

well now that you mention it..
Quote:
# Signatures

1. Signatures may contain up to three lines (one line being that displayed on a browser opened to 800px width) of text (of small or normal size) and/or possibly one image (read farther for specifics), valid combinations include; a single image of no more than 100px high, 468px wide and 8KB in size. Signatures containing an image of 60px high or less may also include one line of small size text. Signatures containing an image of 15px high or less may include two lines of small size text. Any signature can contain a maximum of only 2 links.
http://www.ozzu.com/announcements-rules/ozzu-rules-and-regulations-t697.html

evenhost, your sig is 8 lines long on a browser opened at 800px width
so your sig does, in fact, violate the rules of the forum
  • krynnmaliki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • krynnmaliki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The hard drives are limited in size by the controller. older drives (ata 66, ata 100, ata 133) had drive max sizes. I found this out when I got a 160 gig for a g3 iMac I had and it would only formatt it to 127 gig. That was a ata 100 controller and so I'm pretty sure that was the max size for any comp with a ata 100 card in it. A freind had a ata 133 card in a g4 tower and could format it to 160, but then of course I couldn't see 160 gig I could only see 127 gig. Anyways the newer comps have sata with much larger sizes, but they are not all the same. I am not sure as far as max HD sizes, but I know speeds are either 150 or 300 which is 1.5 GB/sec or 3 GB/sec. I'm not sure but I think in order to get the largest serial ata hard drives you need a sata 300 controller though it is only a theory.
  • krynnmaliki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • krynnmaliki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Evenhost wrote:
Yea, I'm pretty sure that if there is a HD size limitation it is over 1.5 or 2 terrabytes. Especially in the new Mac Towers since I know they can handle two terrabytes (4 internal 500 GB HD) I would imagine if there is a limitation it would be more of a running out of SATA connections problem than anything else

You can get 4x750 GB which would be 3 terrabytes
  • aalokp
  • Born
  • Born
  • aalokp

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering the same thing. The Operating System portion of the answer depends on what version of OS you are using, and what filesystem is in use on your drive.

Unfortunately, the link above describes System 7, which was first introduced in 1998, and is hardly used today (except where upgrading old machines). Development on Mac OS 9 (2 major versions since 7) stopped in 2002.

If you are putting in a new drive, upto and including OS X 10.5, you could use HFS a.k.a. "MAC OS Standard", which was limited to 2TB Volume Size and 2GB file size. Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) and later users can no longer write to or partition a new drive as HFS; it has been replaced by HFS+ / HFS "Plus" / MAC OS Extended.

For HFS+, check the Apple Support knowledgebase for exact file and (disk) volume size supported at each version of MAC OS X. You'll have to translate the name (e.g. Tiger) to a version number (e.g. 10.4). Search for "HT2422 - Support - Apple" (Forum restrictions prevent me from posting link.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts