iPad 3 announcement?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, in typical Apple fashion they have invited the press to an announcement for a product many are expecting to be the new iPad.

BBC Technology

I cannot see it being a whole lot different from the previous iPad. It will likely be faster and have Siri built in... but that's more or less it. What do you all think will make this iPad different from the last?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having said that, i always thought the iPhone 5 would be announced early 2012. I wouldn't put it past Apple to make people think it was a new iPad and then announce the iPhone 5.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Back in October I remember hearing rumors that the iPad 3 was supposed to launch in March, so this might be accurate. I think I'll just wait and see rather than speculate :)

If it does end up being the iPad 3, I'm curious as well to see what the new "features" will be. If it's not all that different then I might grab myself an iPad 2 when the prices drop.
  • IJR112
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IJR112

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everybody is saying it's going to be the ipad 3. If it is and it has some pretty cool features that the ipad 2 doesn't have, I'll consider buying. It's hard to justify right now with an iphone and a mac. It would basically just be a cool toy for me.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sister made her iPad 2 seem almost invaluable to me to the point where i'd buy one in a heartbeat.

She bought it originally as a gift for both herself and her fiance at Christmas. At the time it was just a handy gadget to have, it saved booting up the laptop to browse the internet or viewing her emails etc.

A few weeks ago her partner bought a "Sonos" speaker. This speaker works through the wifi setup in the house so they could choose all the tracks they wanted to play through the iPad and it would play on the speaker. This will eventually become even better when they start to buy a few more speakers as you could have one in each room of the house and tell the sonos software to play out of the whichever speaker you want it to (or to play out of them all).

They also last week invested in the Apple TV, which i believe means that they could screen anything on the iPad through their TV. Handy if they have a movie on the iPad or if they want to show everyone in the room what website they are looking at etc etc.

Despite it costing closer to £1000 for the whole set up (that includes iPad cost) this would just be ideal for me. I probably wouldn't boot up my PC anymore because i only ever use it nowadays to browse the web and listen to music or watch Movies.

I'll buy an iPad this year, whether it's an iPad 2 or the anticipated newer one.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
A few weeks ago her partner bought a "Sonos" speaker. This speaker works through the wifi setup in the house so they could choose all the tracks they wanted to play through the iPad and it would play on the speaker. This will eventually become even better when they start to buy a few more speakers as you could have one in each room of the house and tell the sonos software to play out of the whichever speaker you want it to (or to play out of them all).

I have a Sonos setup as well, and I love it. Only have one component hooked up to my surround system at the moment, but I can use my WP or Android phone to control it. Eventually I'd like to buy a cheap Android tablet to wall-mount as a controller for it (as well as other home automation things).

The iPad would be more of a use-on-my-daily-commute sort of thing.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tables are kool but not enough power for me to want one, ipad 2 has photoshop apprently but to me it is a show off toy for now. When they fit some juicy power into it then i mite. See what ipad 3 is going to be like first so mite as well wait the few weeks.

edit=== Posted a Post

It seems like March is the lucky month for all tablet-loving consumers, most notably Apple patrons and Apple fans.

According to a report, Apple is supposedly to unveil the iPad 3 on March 7, 2012.

In addition, a leading technology and gadgets news blog has this saucy and delicious report on the new and upcoming iPad 3:

"Apple just announced that its hotly anticipated and much awaited iPad 3 is going to launch in San Francisco on March 7, 2012. The question now is, what are the possible big enhancements the consumers could expect from the iPad 3?

The ipad 3 is rumored to feature specs such as 4G Long-Term Evolution (LTE), Near-Field Communication (NFC), 2GHz dual-core chip from Samsung and carbon fibre casing.

Other additional goodies of iPad 3 is said to include better camera with built-in LED flash, Retina Display, a thinner body and a lighter battery".

After all the hoopla and much talk about the iPad 3 for the past few months, it sounds like all the buzzes and rumors surrounding the wonder tablet is finally coming to an end.

http://technorati.com/technology/gadget ... pad-3-and/
  • almostfamous

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am really excited to see if it is the ipad 3 or the iphone 5! I have also been hearing that the ipad 3 would come out in March I was going to wait for it but got the ipad 2 as a gift last month. I love it and don't think I could live without one now. I hear that the ipad 3 may have a better camera. I don't really use the camera on my ipad though, it is actually really awkward to hold that size of a tablet to take a picture so the camera part doesn't really impress me. Also hear of possibly a clearer screen which would be cool but I currently have no problem with the resolution of the screen. I am also pretty impressed with the life of the battery. Now if and iphone 5 comes up this soon after the release of the iphone 4s I'm gonna be pretty mad because I recently got one of those as well. By the way siri is basically pointless I find myself asking her questions and thinking she is not very smart most of the time. I really don't ask her anything anymore as I get too mad at her. Siri is only good for letting my 5 year old niece ask her silly questions!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

almostfamous wrote:
By the way siri is basically pointless I find myself asking her questions and thinking she is not very smart most of the time. I really don't ask her anything anymore as I get too mad at her. Siri is only good for letting my 5 year old niece ask her silly questions!

I agree. I got bored of Siri after a couple of days. Unfortunately, unless you live in the USA all the features that Siri offers were not available, such as asking for a nearby Italian restaurant for example as it only dealt with American businesses.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Siri here in Phoenix has been amazing. All the guys I hang out with and go to dinner and bars with have iPhones so were constantly asking Siri where stuff is or whats near by and have yet to have any issues with it not working correctly.

As far as the iPad, I'm really excited for iPad 3. If the guesses are right on it(1gb dedicated video memory, quad core processor, 2k resolution screen) it will be fantastic to have. I currently have the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab, which the Android software on it pisses me off to no end, so I can't wait to upgrade.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
I currently have the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab, which the Android software on it pisses me off to no end, so I can't wait to upgrade.

PM me if you're ever interested in getting rid of it; I'm looking for a used one in decent condition to play around with for home automation projects :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hearing today that the iPad 3 which is due to be announced tomorrow will not be called the iPad 3, instead it's expected be called "iPad HD". The reason for this is due to the high quality Retina display that it is expected to have, similar to that on the iPhone 4S.

I thought the previous iPads had Retina display high quality screens anyway?
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, old iPads have the standard res screens(something close to 1024x768). New ones are supposed to have a retina screen something like 2000x1500. Theres been much discussion on whether it will be the iPad 3, iPad HD, iPad 2s, iPad 2HD, so I guess we'll find out soon!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like the new iPad will record video in 1080p, have a quad core chip, the A5X, and supports 4G. The new iPad resolution will be 2048x1536 which is 3.1 million pixels or 264 pixels per inch. The new iPad also has a personal hotspot if your carrier supports that.

The new iPad price range will be $499 to $829 and pre-orders start today and ship out on March 15, 2012.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it the rumours of a cheaper iPad 2 option never came true then? I'm itching to get an iPad but won't be doing anything until after my holiday in the summer, by then i imagine Apple will stop selling the iPad 2 just as they did with the iPad 1 when the iPad 2 was released.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't wait. Been trying to do the preorder all day, but the sites been over loaded.

Apparently the CPU is a dual core chip, with a quad-core graphics chip.

Also, the iPad 2 price has dropped some, its down to $399 now.
  • Nuckelsboy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nuckelsboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still expensive tho. The good part is that the new released devices have the same prices as the previous ones on release..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard today that Google are on the verge of releasing a Tablet which is run on Android system that will be significantly cheaper than the iPad.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I have heard today that Google are on the verge of releasing a Tablet which is run on Android system that will be significantly cheaper than the iPad.

Given the recent track record with Android tablets, I'm expecting it to be significantly crappier as well. I haven't seen one good Android tablet worth buying on the market.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd be very careful to buy any Google hardware. They've got a terrible track record from my point of view. As far as Android tablets, I found that the Galaxy Tab and the one from Asus(Transformer?) were the top two when I bought mine, but went with the Galaxy since it was smaller, lighter, and had better battery life.

Cannot wait for the new iPad though. I just finished the programming for one of our apps on iPhone/iPad today, so can't wait to start testing and get it out on iOS.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Picked up my new iPad today. Got the 16gb Verizon 4g one. The screen is absolutely amazing. Apples description did not do it justice. It is extremely fast and responsive. Loving it so far.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read today that a website took apart the new iPad 3 and discovered that alot of what makes the iPad so great was designed and built by Samsung.

This is particularly amusing because Apple and Samsung are locked in legal battles all over the world due to patents allegedly being broken by both parties.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep. There was quite a bit of discussion about this a few months ago, as Samsung was the primary tech provider, as apposed to the previous iPads which used a lot of Foxcon.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the site i was talking about...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3-4 ... own/8277/1

For the record, i read about this website and how it came to be a couple of weeks ago and i'm surprised this is the first time i've actually visited it.
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

its every version doesn't have a lot of changes just some modernations and design changes i think!
  • marcus_mosely
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcus_mosely

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an iPad 3 and must admit that it is a really great device. I really like Apple products and also have an iPhone 4S. Currently, trying to develop an own app (sg. similar to the one that you can find if you Google: voip-sip-sdk/p_457). Now there is the iPad 4 and the iPhone 5. I am satisfied with the devices I have and do not think about upgrading to the latest ones.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts