iPhone 5? Nope, its the iPhone 4S

  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9086
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very disappointing news today. With all the hype that has been building, and the fact it has been 16 months since the last iPhone release, I was expecting more than a supped up version of the iPhone 4. I currently have the first generation of the iPhone and its practically falling apart. I need a new phone, actually needed one 6 months ago but have been trying to hold on for today's lame announcement. The 4S CPU is still twice as fast as the 4, and the graphical part is 7x faster. So it would be very responsive on any apps that you use. It also has a better camera, 1080p video camera, and an image stabilizer for if you are shakey when taking your videos. So there are still some good things, but not as much as I was hoping for.

You can see the new iPhone 4S here:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... ily/iphone
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6243
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What new hardware features were you hoping for? Seems to me that the big changes from the current iPhone are all iOS 5 related.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too pricey actually when you consider most iPhones started at (in GB£) around £300. So, $199 is pretty good going for a new release.

I too was expecting and hoping for an iPhone5 announcement so it would mean i would be entitled to a free upgrade to an iPhone 4 on my tarrif from my phone company. I now wonder if that is still an option with this announcement today or if i will have to pay some sort of fee for the phone.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure how new a feature this is, but i quite like the pre installed "find my iPhone" app.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Not too pricey actually when you consider most iPhones started at (in GB£) around £300. So, $199 is pretty good going for a new release.


Whoa!! forget i even said that!

Starting prices for iPhone 4S starts off at a staggering £499! that, in US Dollars on todays exchange rate that makes it $772. What the heck?

(link to UK Page)
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/s ... ily/iphone
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9086
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will be able to get it for $199 for signing up with a 2 year contract. My other one expired so I am eligible for that. Some of the features that I wanted were:

A cool new design

Bigger display. Currently I believe it is a 3.5 inch display.

Better Battery Life - Looks like the 4S does have this supposedly, but not a huge leap here.

Improved Camera and Video - 4S does have this, I actually do really like the stabilization gyro that is included. So I am pleased with the improvements they made here. The camera went from 5 megapixels to 8 megapixels. I believe the video went from 720p to 1080p. Basically with this I would no longer need any other cameras.

4G Compatibility - This would have made me really happy.

Wireless Payment Technology (NFC)

And then something shocking and unexpected that Steve Jobs would typically announce at the end when he goes "and one more thing" that would make the iPhone a clear choice versus its competitors.

Also this has to do more with iOS5, but with that comes native twitter integration. I would have at least liked native Facebook integration to go with it as I actually use that a bit.

I just felt overall it was a let down. It is still a vast improvement over my current first generation iPhone, so I will still be much happier than what I have... but the fact I waited the last six months for this it was not as exciting as I hoped.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Coughwindowsphone7cough :D
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created a topic here about which phone could be better or as good as iPhone. I don't remember anything said about any other phone that made me choose any other...that includes the Windows Phone 7 (7th Gen or Windows 7 OS?)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6243
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Coughwindowsphone7cough :D

Did you get the Mango update yet? If not, you're in for a pleasant surprise. :D
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 214
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

iPhone 4S.


It looks like a great phone and I would probably buy it if I had a little older phone but its not the coolest thing apple has released...
  • tomerh
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomerh
  • Posts: 3

Post 3+ Months Ago

many got disappointed and it has the almost the same apps as Iphone4. :-( so sad but i know apple will eventually bounce back to meet the consumers expectations.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
...720p to 1080p...

The current iPhone 4 already has 1080p so they're not improving there... just keeping it the same. But I'm happy to know that they are going from 5MP to 8MP... that's a plus :D


Youtube vid I posted that I recorded with iPhone 4 - as you can see, you can change it to 1080p... just some proof if anyone doubts me.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9086
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, not saying you are wrong, but everything I look up says the regular iPhone 4 has a 720p camera. Are you sure that you didn't use any software that would have upscaled the 720p video to 1080p video? The fact your video is vertical like that indicates you may have. Are you sure you didn't get your hands on an early release of the iPhone 4S ;)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9086
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I think I see why your video is vertical. In your rear view mirror I saw you were holding your iPhone vertically instead of horizontally which would have made your video fill up the screen the normal way :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why all the stats everywhere say 720p. I bought the phone and before I really learned how to use it, I went mudding with my truck and asked my friend to take a vid. He was holding it vertical, so I guess that is why the video is like that, but I used the regular Camera app that comes shipped with the iPhone and that is what it took. I didn't download any app.

In fact, the only app I had that time is the free case program... something like that...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6243
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:
...720p to 1080p...

The current iPhone 4 already has 1080p so they're not improving there... just keeping it the same. But I'm happy to know that they are going from 5MP to 8MP... that's a plus :D


Youtube vid I posted that I recorded with iPhone 4 - as you can see, you can change it to 1080p... just some proof if anyone doubts me.

Just because you can select 1080p on YouTube doesn't mean it was originally shot in that resolution. YouTube probably attempts to upscale it.

The iPhone 4 shoots in 720.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
joebert wrote:
Coughwindowsphone7cough :D

Did you get the Mango update yet? If not, you're in for a pleasant surprise. :D


Installing now. I'm pretty happy about voice-to-text (which I'll probably end up using copy/paste from for forum/fb/etc posting on the go) and the multitasking. The Bing-vision thing looks pretty neat too.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Just because you can select 1080p on YouTube doesn't mean it was originally shot in that resolution. YouTube probably attempts to upscale it.

The iPhone 4 shoots in 720.


For some reason I always thought (since the beginning of me thinking about buying an iPhone 4) that it shot HD vid at 1080p. I guess I was wrong... oh well, it's still pretty good resolution.
  • Sceptik
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Sceptik
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you think, after Steve Jobs death, will the iOS keep the leadership, or Android will finaly go to the top?
Altogether what do you think about apple future without Steve?Will it change ?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking to my neighbor, who has been waiting for the new iPhone to come out for awhile now so he can upgrade his. I think he should look into getting another device since the recent update wiped out all of the important stuff on his phone anyways.

I think the company, and their innovation is going to tank just like it did when they fired Steve Jobs before.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I think the company, and their innovation is going to tank just like it did when they fired Steve Jobs before.


There will be alot of people watching Apple now for this reason, and the most annoying part is the criticism Apple products will get will be amplified and people will comment on how profits are not as good as they were and then the rumour that the company is collapsing without Jobs will arrive. It's inevitable this sort of thing will happen.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 127

Post 3+ Months Ago

sort of off the topic just a little, but I read a post by a friend last night on fb that has me thinking...

I assumed the "s" as in "iPhone 4s" might have referenced the "Siri" feature... this person posted the following:

"Ok...I'll be the first to start an urban legend. Just wondering if the IPhone 4s is really the IPhone 4Steve? If so, Apple has done it again. Probably one of the best marketing startegies todate. Honor the man and then hit the world with the best phone they have ever seen...the IPhone5. Or just leave it as a legacy. Eitherway, pretty smart strategy."

(oh and yeah, SB ... we priced them too and was a little shocked at the $749 we were told.. I really HATE to get into a 2 yr with AT&T though just to get them at a much lower price).. I don't actually have an iPhone ~gasp~ ... but my 19 y/o wants one of the new ones.. I may just stick with my LG)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure that Tim Cook is a good leader and would be able to lead Apple in good direction, but I agree with SB. Since people think of Steve Jobs as being "Apple" rather then "CEO of Apple" they would start bias towards Apple products now since Steve Jobs is dead.

I don't know about the future of Apple or the iPhone, but I'm pretty happy about my iPhone I have right now. I might upgrade to the next one available when I am eligible for it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9086
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I stayed up late last night and pre-ordered two of the iPhone 4S's, one for me and one for my wife. Both of our contracts had expired so it was a good time. I told my wife I just got her last year's iPhone 4, not the newest one because it cost twice as much and the bill was already getting high. She said she was okay with that, especially since she had one model better than me the last few years, but I could tell she kind of wanted the 4S. So she will be in for a nice surprise when she finds out she is actually getting the 4S too :D

AT&T had some serious issues with their website last night, took me forever before I was able to pre-order the phone. Then, this morning when I woke up I had a few e-mails that said my credit card could not be verified and that it would be cancelled if I didn't call them. So 25 minutes later after being on hold they redid it and all good to go. Supposed to be here next Friday, October 14, hope it actually arrives on time!

I am really excited due to the fact my phone is barely staying alive right now. Battery life seems to last just a few hours these days and I have the brightness setting really dim too and push notifications all off. So this will be a nice change!

I saw in the news that AT&T set a new record for the most iPhones sold in a 24 hour period. I guess they sold 200,000 iPhone 4S's.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a few hours? that's mad.

I've had my iPhone 3G since July 2009 and it has been fantastic. Had a few minor issues that has been sorted out over time. However i find the signal to be pretty poor nowadays and it takes ages to open up apps like Facebook or Bejeweled Blitz.

Not really keen on investing in any other phones at the moment because i've alot of outgoings, not to mention the festive period not too far away, so a freebie would be ideal for an upgrade. As soon as the iPhone 4 is available for free on my tarrif i'll be going for that, hopefully it is sooner rather than later.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

With that said, i just saw a stupidly good "launch date" deal that my network is doing that has made upgrading to a 4S incredibly appealing now.

Will call in the morning.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 854

Post 3+ Months Ago

My guess for the name is that it has nothing to do with the amount of features added. They've had 4G speed for a while. 5Ghz speed is common on wireless household routers nowadays so I suspect they're just about ready to release 5G internet speed on phones. They probably just want the name to go along with the new speed - a.k.a. iPhone5 has 5G speed.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got reminded tonight that when the iPhone 3GS was released they released the iPhone 4 shortly afterwards. So if history repeats itself then we should be seeing the iPhone 5 probably at Christmas time or maybe after the new year. Nothing would surprise me.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

iPhone 4S released today. I have already got my hands on one, and with exception to the voiceover thing which is automatically set up on the phone i'm already seeing the benefits.

Update: I absolutely love this phone. The Siri feature is pretty clever, and despite the fact i don't have an American accent it picks up everything i say very well.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8740
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In order to get one of the iPhone s i successfully established which store would be the quietest of all in the city i live in and managed to join the queues not too early in the morning before the 8am launch.

I arrived shortly after 06:30GMT and had to wait 2 and a half hours. In San Francisco though, Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak was one of the first 5 people in the queue of one of the stores after arriving a pretty impressive 18 hours before launch time.

The fact that he is in the position he is in, and has the wealth he has, i am pleasantly surprised he decided to experience what it is like for many who choose to queue many hours before launch time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ekend.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.