ISA server

• djmn
  • Born
  • Born
  • djmn
  • Loc: Conklin, AB. Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just moved to a school in northern Alberta. Imagine my consternation when I discovered that all the Mac machines had been replaced by WinTel equipment the previous year by the school division's new head techie who is agressively promoting a standardized divisional computer profile (read: cheap and nasty WinTel boxes) and who is not supporting MacIntosh at all. In fact, servers in division schools run Microsoft Firewall Client for ISA Server 2004 which, we are told, do not "play nice" with Macs, and so I am unable to get on to the WWW with my Mac OS X.4.8 PowerBook. Is there an ISA Server client for Mac? Even if I had to return to OS 9.2.2 to access the school server, I could. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at djm_newman@yahoo.ca

Many thanks,
David
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

this post says its unsure if it will work for ISA server 04 or not, but its worth a shot.. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 8215149203

another possibility..
Quote:
Squid's the answer
You'll need to install a copy of the Squid proxy cache, and configure it use the ISA server as a parent server. If you install authoxy, you'll be able to authenticate via NTLM from the Xserve, making it completely transparent. You can get authoxy (it's free and open-source) here:

http://www.hrsoftworks.net/Products.html

Have fun!
- original post another possibility?

p.s. "consternation", i freaking love that word..! hahah
  • BongSoo
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd take the techie out back and give him a 'wood shampoo', and if that doesn't work, go over his head. Thats BS just because he is lazy.
  • djmn
  • Born
  • Born
  • djmn
  • Loc: Conklin, AB. Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all so much.
My Christmas Season now has real meaning. With the school empty, the Ghost and I will tap into the WinTel LAN with Squid and have six older iMacs ready to go in the new year.
God is good, and so are you all.
BongSoo, you are dead right. I hope to by-pass his nasty little Empire without his knowledge or consent. Such is the life of a MacMan in a world where WinTel techies don't even read their own magazines. If they did, they'd realize they've lost the war. In a year or so, with a new Mac and BootCamp, this whole senario becomes completely moot.
Merry Christmas all, and to WinTel - goodnight!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol very nice...
so are you saying that the process worked? or you have yet to try..?
and you should post back and let us know which of the two processes worked for you.
:] glad to help. happy holidays

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts