OS X Leopard

  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my god!

Leopard really rock! Cant wait the realease date of this superb OS on the planet. it really made me droll like crazy. Vista will be left behind....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Posts: 1477
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't see what the big deal is over it...it's the same OS with a few new features.

Time Machine: Cool but I don't usually fail to backup my stuff already.

iChat, iCal, iThis, iThat: It's all the same software only an updated version...not something that calls for a new OS.

Core Animation: Well, I found that I don't really get around to editing video that often, and when I do it's slow as hell and I don't think that Core Animation will help...I think better caching and memory use would...maybe they should update iMovie instead?

A new Voice? You're releasing an operating system because you gave it a new voice? Wow. Vista has dictation build in...do you?

Spaces? Wahoo...don't care. If Mac OS made it easier to hide windows there would really be no need for this.

Honestly, I'm really not impressed. Yes, I have a Mac, and no, I'm not a fan of Windows either. No, I'm not a Linux guy either. I like some features of all of them...but none of them are that great. Jeff Han...that's who I want to see work on an OS...maybe then we'd get somewhere. I think Apple knows it too...they already tried to hire him before they licensed his Multiple Touch through frustrated internal reflection technology for the iPhone.

That's a bit of a rant. It's late...oh well.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Spaces? Wahoo...don't care. If Mac OS made it easier to hide windows there would really be no need for this.

linux has had this feature for years. :shrug:
  • Omegalove
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Omegalove
  • Posts: 34
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well unlike windows, OS has a minimum risk on gettin a virus, the only probem is there not many games on OS but hey you can get VIRTUAL PC!

by the way whens the release of Leopard?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Omegalove wrote:
but hey you can get VIRTUAL PC!

only if you have a mac with a PPC processor. if you have an intel mac, it wont work. you can, however, get parallels or boot camp so theres some other options.
:shrug: i'll stick with linux. i dont have to buy a new computer and it does what i want
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 699
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard that the parallels work pretty well, and Windows runs better in them than they do when not in a virtual machine.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 971
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Parallels Desktop *is* virtualisation, they just use an approach that's different from VMWare's. Incidentally, VMWare's Fusion is currently in beta, and it looks to give Parallels a run for its money. In other news, both Parallels and Fusion are bringing 3D, obviating the need to use BootCamp (and therefore rebooting) in order to play games. Nice.

Re: Leopard...

> Time Machine. Ya, good for people like me, who don't have a backup strategy in place. Truce, you're in the minority; most people are too lazy/clueless to back up their data. I'm in the former camp, very lazy. I've only recently gotten concerned about not having my data backed up (since I've only recently begun to really accumulate data I wouldn't want to lose). I could use SuperDuper or any one of a number of other similar apps, but I'm looking forward to Time Machine.

> iApps. Mail.app and iCal *really* need updating to remain competitive. There are a lot of us really hating that we have to use Entourage because iCal+Mail.app just don't cut it. Hopefully the new versions will be far more robust and will do away with Entourage for good.

> A point release isn't a whole new operating system, it's an update. And that's exactly what we're getting, updates to the OS. If these were the only updates that we were getting in OS XI, I'd be ranting too. Finder and Spotlight aren't peripheral apps, they're parts of the OS with which we interact all the time, and they really need updating. I don't even use Spotlight because it's so awful. The concept is great, and I'd really like to use it, but it sucks. So I'm looking forward to being able to use it.

> Core Animation isn't just about video editing, and if that's not what you were implying then I apologise for misunderstanding. Core Animation will affect Finder/the operating system's windowing system.

> Spaces. Okay cool, your opinion, you're certainly welcome to it. But it's a whole new feature, like Time Machine, in a point release. My opinion is that that's really cool. I use Virtue Desktops and would hate to have to work without it, but it crashes a bazillion and one times a day. I imagine such functionality built into the OS will be more stable, and I'm *very much* looking forward to that.

> A new voice. Er.. yeah, I'm with you on that one.

And that's my counter-rant. =]
  • bdude
  • Born
  • Born
  • bdude
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look of Spaces, that's cool.
  • mo_mughrabi
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 73

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I really don't see what the big deal is over it...it's the same OS with a few new features.

Time Machine: Cool but I don't usually fail to backup my stuff already.

iChat, iCal, iThis, iThat: It's all the same software only an updated version...not something that calls for a new OS.

Core Animation: Well, I found that I don't really get around to editing video that often, and when I do it's slow as hell and I don't think that Core Animation will help...I think better caching and memory use would...maybe they should update iMovie instead?

A new Voice? You're releasing an operating system because you gave it a new voice? Wow. Vista has dictation build in...do you?

Spaces? Wahoo...don't care. If Mac OS made it easier to hide windows there would really be no need for this.

Honestly, I'm really not impressed. Yes, I have a Mac, and no, I'm not a fan of Windows either. No, I'm not a Linux guy either. I like some features of all of them...but none of them are that great. Jeff Han...that's who I want to see work on an OS...maybe then we'd get somewhere. I think Apple knows it too...they already tried to hire him before they licensed his Multiple Touch through frustrated internal reflection technology for the iPhone.

That's a bit of a rant. It's late...oh well.


I don't think this is all for leopard, Jobs mentioned in the conference these are "some" of many new features. And with the new core-animation and a while 64-bit the performance will be greater than ever.

Am sure they will soon pronounce something new..
  • mo_mughrabi
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 73

Post 3+ Months Ago

bdude wrote:
I like the look of Spaces, that's cool.


yeah! totally cool 8)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

mo_mughrabi wrote:
bdude wrote:
I like the look of Spaces, that's cool.


yeah! totally cool 8)



:shrug: re-arranging spaces looks like the most fun part of it.
but i'd rather have the spaces be on a rotatable cube ^_^
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 971
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
:shrug: re-arranging spaces looks like the most fun part of it.
but i'd rather have the spaces be on a rotatable cube ^_^
VirtueDesktops already does that. I thought that for sure Leopard would include something similar as one of the transition options for Spaces.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Posts: 1477
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha...thanks for the counter rant justG.

Just like you said though, it's an update. Unless it's a new major version I've never seen a company charge for it in software that I can recall. Windows XP includes SP1 and SP2, for example. Apple gives it a new name and charges for it. It's just odd.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 184
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the Idea of spaces because if you need to run windows you can assign it its own desktop. Also vista is not 64 bit as far as I can tell, I thought it was supposed to be but everywhere I look it says 32 bit (I'm sure I'll get angry responses stating how I'm wrong) and the new Mac OS will most likely utilize the 64 bit more than the previous release. I'm looking foreword to it even if it isn't a huge step foreword, at least Mac is trying. Vista is just OS X as it was in the first release... :(
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol vista has a 32 & 64 bit version. you dont get "all the bells and whistles" if you dont get the 64, or so they say

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.