Macbook or Dell XPS 1530

• stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: London, Tokyo, Macau

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm planning to get a new laptop in early May and intially wanted a Dell XPS 1530 until lately, when I tried out the Macbook while window shopping in a mall. Very impressed with Mac's speed; which u can load an application almost instantly! Impossible even with an expensive IBM.

I mainly use Photoshop/Illustrator or perhaps AutoCAD sometimes....

The Dell XPS1530 is slightly cheaper than Mac with slighter better specifications like a better processor, T8300 2.4 (Macbook is T7500 2.4) , the Dell has a fingerprint sensor and most importantly, a dedicated Graphics Card while Macbook's is just an integrated one. Other than these, the specs of both machines are basically the same and don't make a huge difference.

If u were me, which machine will you choose? I've asked my friends, designer friends and most girlfriends would prefer Macbook (for its good looks) however, some designer friends would have chosen the XPS 1530 for practical issues......and price!

Thanks!
  • claireo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • claireo
  • Loc: Coventry

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are looking for speed for programs like Photoshop, illustrator, then i would advise you to get the Macbook pro. the Macbook does seem fast at downloading things and when using general applications, however, when it comes to using large programmes like photoshop and illustrator, the Macbook isn't really built for this.

I would go for the Macbook Pro, or if you don't want to spend that much then the PC. Generally i find that MACs are better for design, but they can also be slower than PCs at running programmes. Unless you are going to cake the little macbook full of memory then i wouldn't bother.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, the Dell XPS 1530 looks very very ugly but practical and cheaper.

Macbook is slightly dearer with lower specs. But looks a lot greater.

Nope, can't afford a Macbook Pro this moment.

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could get a macbook then use bootcamp to dual boot it with XP or vista and have the best of both worlds.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma: yes i know you can use XP in Apple machines these days. the world has change. same way using Mac OS in PCs after some clever hacks.

Just wanna know if Macbook is better or worse than the XPS 1530....and wanna see what u guys will choose if u were me.

hehe...btw, wonder if the Macbook is a fragile machine?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll ask 10 people, 5 will say dell, the other 5 will say mac. And really the only way to tell which one you will like will be to spend some money, unless you know people who will let you borrow their computers for a while. As far as the graffics, my mac is excellent, so unless you plan on keeping up with the latest and greatest video card that again is going to be a matter of preference. And with the processors, I highly doubt you will ever notice the difference between the two. I think a lot of the time, as long as you exceed the minimum processor requirements for your software you will be fine. A better upgrade to any computer will be in the ram, which is swappable in both computers. The finger print scanner...ever seen mythbusters? Because they demonstrated how finger print scanners can be defeated. The one thing that the dell has that I really wish my mac has is a right click button, that drives me nuts not having a right click.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks kc. perhaps i'll get a Macbook :)

only in one case; it the DELL store is going to have a discount that day......waiting for my salary now......
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My personal choice would be for the Macbook. The ability to run OS X and Windows seals the deal for me.

claireo wrote:
the Macbook does seem fast at downloading things and when using general applications, however, when it comes to using large programmes like photoshop and illustrator, the Macbook isn't really built for this.

I honestly don't see the merit behind this comment. MacBooks use the same processors as most new Windows-based notebooks on the market today (Core 2 Duo's) and come with comparable amounts of RAM. Saying that the Macbook "isn't really built for" applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator is just not true.

My personal opinion here: you'll likely be much happier down the road if you spend the little extra on the Macbook. But like kc0tma said, you need to play with both and decide for yourself which feels better. Don't let others make monetary decisions for you ;)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the biggest factors for my decision to go with the macbook was actually the price. I liked the hardware specs on this computer, but it seemed expensive, so I did an exact part for part, apples for apples comparison to other computers. The only one I could find that was a nearly identical hardware configuration was a sony vaio and it costed a couple hundred bucks more. I decided to go with the mac and if I didn't like OS X I would buy a boxed copy of XP and install that, but I still love my Tiger. I will probably upgrade it to Leopard by the end of the year.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally I settled down........and got a .....Macbook 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM! The white little creature! It took me some time to setup router and stuffs...but anyways, things went quite smoothly.

The Windows XP is doing quite well, but perhaps I'll get a copy of Ubuntu installed soon. But first, lemme get use to the new OS X interface :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will be pleased, for sure. There is a cool website called http://www.ifixit.com that has different parts for macbooks and imacs and ipods and all that stuff. I've been wanting to get a black bezel\keyboard assembly for my little white macbook, but then switch all the black keys for white keys. It would be kind of a unique look.

I've also been wanting to try either fedora or slackware on my macbook, but I don't want to loose my Tiger installation so I would need a new hard drive. But I'm too lazy to shop for a cheap hard drive. I'm a couch potato.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

happy to know a buddy who uses a white Macbook too! let's chat more...

yeah....i haven't time yet to get the mighty mouse....(it's quite expensive in china)

and plan to get some shells and accessories for my baby too!

A Copper Techshell Rubber shell?
A White Crystal Clear Shell?
Or A Black Crystal Clear Shell?

hmm...actually more options available for Macbook Pro..... but...well........I need to get a shell soon to protect my baby!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any fancy shells or skins or anything like that, just a plane jane white mac book. Normally I use the regular little touch pad, but from time to time I also have a miniature usb mouse that actually has a right click button that I plug in. It's no wireless mighty mouse, but it still works. Those mighty mice are a bit pricey compaired to other wireless mice of similar (identical) functionality.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes...but the mighty mouse's look, which is like the macbook is very very attractive. one reason why mac fans would sacrifice a bit more for it.

for general uses, i found the touchpad quite good....got used to it already...never thought I could do it! but as a photoshop user, i need the mouse, which can perform much precise tasks.

i bring my macbook everywhere....one reason why i opt for a laptop, i think a nice looking shell would do some good...i'll put stickers and stuffs to it...train tickets....ubuntu stickers, apple stickers...hahaah...i'm just a bit crazy...hope we can exchange some ideas on using this machine from time to time :)

thanks and good nite!
  • bennyboy43
  • Born
  • Born
  • bennyboy43

Post 3+ Months Ago

just to give you my opinion, i would 100% recommend the macbook over any comparable laptop - im on mine at the moment, and i can honestly say that its the best, most reliable, most functional laptop i have ever used in my life!

you wont regret it :-)

cheers
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Been using it for more than 1 month and I really like it! I have installed WinXP via Bootcamp, but in fact I don't use it at all!

However, I donnu why I can't install Shockwave Player till now. After installing, I can play part of the shockwave movie, but after a few seconds, an error message popup saying I have "missing Xtras..."
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe try the VLC player, it will do damn near everything!
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, VLC can play Shockeave files too? Online Shockwave games on shockwave.com, I mean
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

VLC is more of a media player, I was thinking shockwave as in a fancy pants flash video. VLC does pretty much any video and audio format there is, it makes me all giddy whenever I use it.
  • stchatterbox
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup....VLC plays flash, but after searching on the net for a while, i notice that it doesn't play SHOCKWAVE files. still figuring out the error. are you experiencing the same issue?
  • telegraph
  • Born
  • Born
  • telegraph

Post 3+ Months Ago

My best friend got his MacBook and never wants to go back.
I still don't have the 2k to get it.
I love my DELL!
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing I noticed (which may be changing with the "10 hour laptop" E series from Dell) is the length of standby power for the macbook will go for a week or more where the dell in standby will power out in 2 days.

Its great to close it and resume working later. I got the white macbook, the white logitech bluetooth mouse (No usb dongle!), got a bag from timbuktu custom white/blue pattern, my cat6 cable is white, so on and so on.
And now my iphone is white.

Sitting next to the white Wii controllers lol.

White devices are so much more, cooler than the standard black/grey
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should splurge and buy a little bluetooth mouse. That touch pad and one button clicker with no right click has driven me batty ever since I got my laptop.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts