I made the switch =)

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been working with PCs of one sort or another for over 20 years. Although I'm pretty platform-agnostic, I have to admit that my experience with Macs has been pretty awful, and I never once had the urge to switch.

Until OS X. I've been drooling pretty much since its release, and I've only gotten greener over time. But y'know, thinking about the monetary investment into the hardware and software, and the behavioural adjustment of unlearning some of the old and learning some of the new, kept me from switching.

And then there was *the* announcement. And much chaos ensued in the community. And there was a clamour in the forums. And yea but I had many a doubt about this IntelliMac/MacIntel business. And there were new minis and new laptops, but no new powerful workstations. And so I did not switch.

But now there is the Mac Pro. And now there is Parallels Desktop, which will hopefully minimise my initial investment (software!) and permit me to sidegrade over time.

And so... I have switched:

2 x 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
2GB DDR2 RAM
1 x 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200rpm hard drive
1 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB graphics card
1 x 16x double-layer SuperDrive
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
AppleCare

The only thing I didn't skimp on is the processor. I figure I can upgrade the rest over time. I wanted to keep the initial investment low enough to not die of a coronary before opening the box.

This is an upgrade from an old AMD Athlon with 512MB of RAM, so this is *huge* for me. I don't think I've really slept since Sunday night, when I placed the order. =)

A couple useful books for anyone considering switching:
- Mac OS X Tiger: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition
- Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition

Okay, I'll stop babbling now. Just wanted to share my excitement.

- Gita
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to the world of Maccle! :D
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The software I ordered arrives long before the system itself. Torture! Parallels Desktop should get here tomorrow, but the computer isn't getting here 'til 12 September or so. Aaaaaaaaagh.

Oh, and thank you. =)

.g
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is rather tempting. Let me know how you get on G. :)

I'm going to Mac Expo, London in October. Will drool over them and then maybe decide what to do, although I was going to wait until Vista comes out before making any further hardware purchases.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why? Mac Pro + Parallels Desktop + Vista = Joy. Now granted, I doubt the virtual environment will be better than native for gaming and stuff, but for general use, why choose when you can have them all? =)

The computer was shipped a week early. Should be arrive middle of next week, methinks.

Given the config from which I'm upgrading, I'm going in with something of a bias. I really don't see how it will be anything but an amazing, heart-stoppingly ubergeeky experience. But okay, I'll let you know how I get on. =)

.g
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure; but I feel with only a few months left I may as well wait to have it pre-installed. Plus I'm pretty busy at the moment anyway, and can't afford to be playing with new toys.

:)

Hope you like your Mac Pro. BTW. The link you shared for Parallels Desktop said that Mac Pro support was to come at a later date - is this still the case?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
2 x 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors

dear JESUS thats amazingly hott.... :drools:
and i do have to agree, build 5536 of Vista is quite impressive..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just made the switch to a Mactel Mini core duo 1.66. Already hacked it up with 2GB of ram and a 7200rpm 80GB SATA150 hdd.

The new processor is comming soon. I'm looking for a new CPU cooler for it (not that it should matter, but I'm doing it anyway - because I can).

I'm thinking that the core 2 extreme might not work and wouldn't give me a bump over the Core 2 duo. The core duo is too slow for me :-). When the 160GB momentus 7200.2 comes out I'll get that for the Mini too.

Now, I still like windows (okay, I don't) but I love the PC hardware. As soon as Mac gets their brains synapses firing in the right order and allow us to build our own Macs. I'll have one. Hacking pre-mades is a last resort as it costs too much.

I just built a windows machine at work that's a dual-proc dual-core xeon 5150's (2.66Ghz) with 2GB of DDR2-800 with 15k rpm SAS drives in RAID 5 (with 1GB on the RAID card for write cache). A Quadro FX4500 gives me video (although I am upgrading to the Quadro Plex when it comes out). The Tyan board I have has 2 PCI-E x16 slots.

Now if I could install Mac OS X on it I will be a VERY happy camper. But you can't yet which is still why I can't move to it 100%. The Mac Pro's are overpriced because I can built something faster for less money. That and Apple is a little snobbish when you rip apart the system yourself and they refuse to give you tech support on a completely non-related issue.

You ask "How do I configure the hard-drive partitions on the OSX installer" and they say me adding more memory myself voids my warranty. Of course they complied when I told them that I know more about computer engineering than they know about breathing and to give me support or I sue them to chapter 13(You might get more bees with honey, but lawsuits get you EVERYTHING). Not like they were any real help, all I had to do was look at the top of the screen (not used to Mac's topbar idealology).
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Now if I could install Mac OS X on it I will be a VERY happy camper. But you can't yet which is still why I can't move to it 100%.

well, you can't install it directly. you CAN install it through PearPC which is like vmware or virtual pc, except it emulates the PPC cpu so that you can run OSX. it took me a minute, but i got it working..although there is no network connection which is sad :( lol but still, it can be done..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'd use the Intel version of Mac OS X. It's been done, but drivers become an issue. Just as people were getting windows on a mac, they are working on getting mac on a pc. Now that Apple allows you and enables you to install windows on a mac, they will eventually allow and enable you to install Mac OS X on a PC.

It's still early - but then Apples OS sales will go up, but there hardware sales will most likely go down. They just have to decide, are they a hardware company or a software company. You can't fight the war on two fronts - just take a look at Germany in WWII. They lost because they spread themselves too thin fighting Russia AND America. Well Apple can't afford to fight Microsoft AND Dell/HP/Lenovo. They will never get a decent marksetshare that way.

They are better off selling the "superior" OS and market that Mac OS X works best on a Mac. That may even get more people to buy Macs because they can switch now to Mac OS X on their PC and when they are used to the OS, and when they upgrade they can buy a Mac or a Mac offering from another company that Apple can license the right to build Macs.

Then they can offload the entire hardware division to another company and lose the cost of building the hardware and gain hardware license fees.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

and.....they could produce more, quicker.
i think if they sold the Mac OS for PC's for a cheaper price than M$ sells windows, they'd get a good boost in sales...
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to the world of mac, I wish i could afford the mac pro I'm stuck with my g5 towe :) But ill make the switch soon hopefully :-) I have a macc and a pc and the mac i love, the pc i use because i dont want to fill my pretty mac with games :)
  • DonBoutcher
  • DonBoutcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

G, welcome to the world of MAC users, I been using a MAC PC (they are all PC's)
since 1985, on my fifth one now, it's an IMAC G5 1.9 and I love it, I don't have a need for anything bigger, but I drool a little over the thought of a 3G duel processor machine, good luck!

Don
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open hardware would rule. I am the hardware guy so I have wet dreams of beowulf clusters with the nVidia Quadro Plex setup with the Quadro's replaced with 7950GTX2's

That would be one sick mac OSX gaming rig. Now we just need nice 3D games on Mac.

Shouldn't be too long - Micro$0ft is losing ground day by day.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impel GD, I don't know which version was supposed to be Mac Pro-compatible, but mine worked out of the box. I have a screenshot somewhere here of Vista (Parallels) and XP (Remote Desktop Connection to my PC) with my actual OS X desktop in the background. It makes me smile. =)

.g
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
I have a screenshot somewhere here of Vista (Parallels) and XP (Remote Desktop Connection to my PC) with my actual OS X desktop in the background. It makes me smile. =)

:D Nice.

Only two weeks until Mac Expo now.
  • tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad you're excited, but don't think that pre-OS X there wasn't anything special about the Mac: the OS still showed exceptional elegance and attention to detail at the interface level, though that wasn't as obvious to people who only used Macs infrequently as the outdatedness of the OS' underpinnings, hence the bad impression those people sometimes formed...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still doesn't get Mac OS X on my IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

tog wrote:
I'm glad you're excited, but don't think that pre-OS X there wasn't anything special about the Mac...

Oh, there was. It was exceptionally awful. I didn't use it occasionally, I used it regularly, and cursed it regularly. Anyway, this isn't a platform/OS debate, nor fodder for a flame war. You're welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine.
  • tog
  • tog

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
tog wrote:
I'm glad you're excited, but don't think that pre-OS X there wasn't anything special about the Mac...

Oh, there was. It was exceptionally awful. I didn't use it occasionally, I used it regularly, and cursed it regularly. Anyway, this isn't a platform/OS debate, nor fodder for a flame war. You're welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine.

Sure, absolutely. I just felt it was a point worth making, as I hear a lot of people who did have little experience of the classic Mac OS assuming that it's only since OS X that the Mac has had anything on Windows. But, as you say, lets not get into an OS debate.

Thanks for your help on my PNG(/GIF!) post btw.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

<rant>
Still not getting Mac OS X on my IBM Thinkpad. DARN YOU STEVE JOBS! EAT SOME REDMEAT AND JOIN SOCIETY! YAR! PUT DOWN THE FRUIT AND STOP BEING SUCH A HIPPY. Open your hardware and get that superior OS on my Laptop. I ould care less about your intel un-"extreme" graphics.
</rant>

Oh no, you have angered the GT Kuato!
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Loc: Mississauga, On

Post 3+ Months Ago

BRAVVOOO
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, still don't have Mac OS X on my PC. I mean I can do it, but I'd rather have it "supported."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts