Purchasing a Macbook

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, my friend is going to purchase a Macbook Pro this weekend and we want to make sure we get everything she'll need for it. She's planning on purchasing the applecare protection plan with it, so I was wondering if there was anything else she'll need?
I have acquired these programs already:
Microsoft Office 2004
StuffIt Deluxe 11.0.2
Crossover Mac 6
AIM 4.7 (as I'm unsure which she'll like better between that and iChat)

So, what are your thoughts? Thanks :]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Never mind AIM or iChat, get Adium.

2. How computer-literate is she? Is she patient/tolerant enough to deal with bugs and instability? If not, don't bother with Crossover. It's buggy and not compatible with a whole lot. If she needs to run Windows, Parallels or BootCamp is a better option.

3. There's no need for StuffIt.

4. Have a look at the favourite software thread in this forum to get some good ideas. "Must-have" stuff generally depends on what she's going to do with the computer, but there are some applications that are must-haves for everyone. These include backup and maintenance utilities. I've just looked into these, and would recommend:

- Yasu (free) +
- DiskWarrior ($100) +
- SuperDuper! ($28)

Hope that helps.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol she's not all that computer literate, nor is she patient. i was just going to use crossover to install some simple popcap games. is it more buggy in OSX than it is in Linux? bc i use it in Linux, but to my knowledge the version for the Mac is fairly new..

why is there no need for stuffit? as an example, how would i access the contents of an hqx file without it?

the utilities you suggested are more probably utilities i would keep handy for whenever she calls me & wants me to "fix it" lol

thanks for the help :]
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
lol she's not all that computer literate, nor is she patient. i was just going to use crossover to install some simple popcap games. is it more buggy in OSX than it is in Linux? bc i use it in Linux, but to my knowledge the version for the Mac is fairly new..

I only know what I've read/heard, and I'd say that if she's not all that computer-literate or patient, don't install crossover. A lot of those casual games have Mac versions, and if she's terribly addicted to some that don't, then you're really better off setting her up with Parallels than Crossover.

Quote:
why is there no need for stuffit? as an example, how would i access the contents of an hqx file without it?

I've been downloading files on a Mac for the past 6 months and have yet to see an .hqx. It's an antiquated format that's just not used anymore. What I see are: .dmg, .zip, and .tar.gz/.tgz, all of which OS X handles natively. If she needs to deal with the occasional .sit/.hqx, she's better off downloading the free Expander when she actually needs it. I really don't see why she should. StuffIt Deluxe is like Norton rubbish: it sneaks into every aspect of your computer interaction and is really difficult to exorcise from your computer.

Quote:
the utilities you suggested are more probably utilities i would keep handy for whenever she calls me & wants me to "fix it" lol

Aye, you're probably right about that! Although, it would really be better if you introduced her to the maintenance stuff in Diskwarrior and Yasu; the whole point is that if she regularly performs those operations, she shouldn't need to call you to fix anything. And if she does, your job will be made a lot easier if those operations have been regularly performed.

G'luck! =)

.g
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
StuffIt Deluxe is like Norton rubbish: it sneaks into every aspect of your computer interaction and is really difficult to exorcise from your computer.

well sine you put it that way.. lol
but here's an hqx for you: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _for_X.hqx
from the page http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherprodu ... ows2000sfm
which she probably wont need, but i've also run into a sit or two.. although each time i downloaded the free version so, :shrug:

thanks for the help :]
*is excited* we're leaving shortly.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
well sine you put it that way.. lol
but here's an hqx for you

Of course they exist, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an antiquated format and she really shouldn't run into it with regular use. I just meant to say that I wouldn't install it unless I absolutely had to. =)

So, does she have her shiny new MBP now? =)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, she got the mac screen instead of the shiney one. ^_^ hahah, sry i couldn't resist. yes she does ^_^ although now i have the task of moving all of her pictures and music to her new computer from her old one.. sigh. and yea, we could have had the people at the apple store do that but she didn't have the other computer with her and thats ~50 min away, so its not worth it. lol
i didn't install stuffit deluxe, but i d/l'd the free version because after installing toaster, it took over .bin files. an old version of msn messenger was installed with ms office 2004 and it kept trying to download a newer version before itd run and the newer version was a .bin file, so toaster kept opening and it wouldn't let me mount the .bin :( so i had to download the dmg from M$'s website and that worked, but is there a way i can unassociate .bin's with toaster? bc that was annoying, lol
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. It's Toast, mate, not Toaster. =)

2. Sure thing, select any .bin file and right-click > Get Info (or command-i). From the drop-down menu, select the application with which to open the file. If you're changing it from Toast to something else, the "change all" button beneath the menu will become active. Click and you're done.

3. Did you not perform a custom installation of Office? Because I didn't get any MSN Messenger (ugh!) installed with Office at all. And you don't need the newer version if you've installed Adium, which is light-years better anyway. =) (Besides, no other IM client has the plethora of way-too-cute dock icons that Adium does - see http://adiumxtras.com . I'm rather partial to the Yoda duck and the Oscar the Grouch duck myself. =] )

Hope that helps!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah, well adium doesn't do the video chatting so that made her not want to use it, lol

& i dont kno what application originally opened bin's =\ so i dont know what app to choose
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm..so she decided to use ichat, and one problem she has with it is that it logs her out whenever she closes the lid. is there a way to make it stay logged on when the lid is closed?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't answer your iChat question because I've never used anything but Adium. Sorry about that.

As for *.bin, didn't you say that you downloaded StuffIt Expander (free) to deal with them? So you can just associate it with that, then. I'm not sure if Tiger's built-in decompression deals with the MacBin format, as I've never encountered the file type.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

weird. why do i keep finding filetypes you've never dealt with? lol (in short, bc M$ $uck$ :])

for some reason the .bin didn't want to associate with stuffit. :shrug: its not a problem as of right now as the version to manually download msn messenger is a dmg but that was just irritating, lol
& i've found a few programs that stop the computer from sleeping when you close it but everyone warns of heat issues in that scenario, which i dont think she'd have because usually people were trying to watch a dvd on their tv or listen to music with the lid closed, but one way wanted to patch the kernel and the other program was $10 and wasn't fully compatible with intel macs running OSX 10.4.8 so..gr. lol
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I chat is deffinately better than AIM, second I've been using the trial of crossover, its a great concept when it works. But the list of software it is designed to work with is very small so most of the time its hit or miss. Boot camp will probably be a better one to go with. If you have the money you could also consider buying a second laptop battery. Simply so that when it comes time to replace the current one she'll just be able to pull it out. I can't tell you how happy I was to have bought a second battery for my clamshell Ibook because when the battery finally needed to be replaced they didn't make them any more.

I have the Macbook Pro its awesome you wont be disappointed! :)
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
I can't answer your iChat question because I've never used anything but Adium. Sorry about that.

As for *.bin, didn't you say that you downloaded StuffIt Expander (free) to deal with them? So you can just associate it with that, then. I'm not sure if Tiger's built-in decompression deals with the MacBin format, as I've never encountered the file type.

Ahmmm! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a .bin file is a BINARY file and usually is involved with running a program or application. I believe a .bin file is the resultant file format of code/information that has been COMPILED. Hence there should be no need to "unzip" or "unbin" said *.bin file... whatever. There may be other uses... maybe in application or program "packaging." :wink:

hth
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

jdh77 wrote:
Ahmmm! Correct me if I'm wrong...

If I understand what you're saying (which is questionable), then yeah, you are. You might be thinking of .bin/.cue, in which context .bin is a disc image; but .bin is also the Mac Binary file format, which is an archive and would need to have usable information extracted from it. That is the context in which the format was being discussed.

For reference, see the fifth entry on filext.com:
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdet ... rch=Search

Hope that helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts