Software List (-- please add more)

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that making a list of recommended software in different categories would be a good idea. Here is an unorganized starting list. Please add more, because I'm not a Mac guru.

- Carbon Emacs - a great text editor (and development environment (with a learning curve)), and all Mac text fields feature Emacs keybindings like ^A, ^E, etc.
- X-Chat Aqua - an IRC client
- Thunderbird - an Email client with a spam filter that seems to work better than Mail.app's
- Adium X - instant messaging
- MPlayer - media player
- VLC - more media player
- Fink - for ports of Unix software
- md5app - for checking md5 sums of software you've downloaded. (Remind me to put up my Intel build on the web.)
- Cyberduck - FTP, SFTP client
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any particular criteria? (Freeware/shareware only, whatever...)

.g
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. Usefulness is the only criteria I think there should be.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Appzapper - For uninstalling those few apps for mac that puts files in other locations. at least i found it useful. (not free)
http://appzapper.com/

Pixen 3.0 - If you're into pixel art this is the program for you. kind of like MS paint only with a lot more features sush as layers etc. (free) http://www.opensword.org/Pixen/

i know more its just im not using my mac at the moment would need to check. il post back as soon as i remember some.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

the disk utility, literally called disk utility, lol that comes with mac osx a rather nice tool..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

cant believe firefox hasnt been named
http://www.firefox.com

and if we are gonna name things that already come with macs how about garage band. very usefull if your into recording.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well besides all Adobe & Macromedia, and Final Cut Pro HD, you must get:
LiveType
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there a keyboard shortcut to open either A)the terminal or B)a run prompt
?

or a downloadable terminal that will work with OS 9.2?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, well, over the past month (that I've had my new Mac), I've spent a whole lot of time over at the Apple software download site, VersionTracker, and a couple other places. I've installed a whole bunch of applications and uninstalled probably three times as many. =) Aaah, evaluation is fun.

This is what I've got cluttering up my hard drive at the moment (that hasn't already been mentioned):

ArtRage - Sketching, painting. (free, $)

Alienbrain - Source/Version control. (free, $)

Camino - Web browser, a little less crappy than the others (just a little). (free)

CandyBar - Interfacelift. Because Tiger, while light years purtier than XP (or Vista, for that matter), is incredibly boring. ($)

Chmox - Lightweight, fast CHM viewer. (free)

Colloquy - IRC client. (free)

Google Earth - 3D mapping thingy. Well cool to watch a plane travel across the globe before you leave for the airport to pick up the passenger(s). (free, $)

iBank 2 - Personal finances. Not as robust as Quicken, but not hideous like Quicken either. Active development and frequent updates, well worth a look. I've tried them all, hoping to find something as featureful and intuitive as (dare I say it?) MS Money on the PC, to no avail. This one's very easy on the eyes, simple but not retarded, and has loads of potential. ($)

modo - 3D modeler. C'mon, you know you wanna say it: mmmmmoh-doh.($)

NetNewsWire - Feed reader. Nothing comes close to FeedDemon on the PC, but this is very good. ($)

Songbird Media Player - What it says. Skinnable. Really nice integration of not just podcasts but also MP3 blogs and the like. Very stable for v0.2, and the cutest mascot I've seen in a while. (free)

Speed Download - Slick download manager. ($)

TextMate - There is no other editor. If you think there is, you are delusional. ($)

TigerLaunch - Lightweight, small application launcher that sits in one's menu, preventing Dock clutter. (free)

Toast - CD/DVD burner. I can't believe I like a Roxio (*gag*) application but man, Toast? It's like buttah, dahling. ($)

Transmission - BitTorrent client. (free)

Xyle Scope - It's like Firebug for Firefox? But, like, an application? And, like, way better... like. ($)

My "install these and check 'em out" folder is still pretty full, so I shall likely add to this list. =)

I love threads like this one (especially since I'm new to the platform). Hope you see something new to you!

.g
  • auto1
  • Loc: Kent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gimp- Image editing software... A free substitute for Photoshop. I have a Macbook and using Gimp is an absolute treat...Photoshop was just far too slugish!
  • isip
  • isip

Post 3+ Months Ago

the list would depend on the need on each of us...

http://www.versiontracker.com/
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

@isip: Er.. ya. The idea is to share what's invaluable to you, not to link to a portal. Thanks, though.

@all: Well, I've had the computer about 4 months now, and have more applications that I use on a daily (or very frequent) basis.

1Passwd - Password manager and autofill. ($)

CSSEdit - Style sheet editor. ($)

dead.licious - Finds dead links in your del.icio.us library. (Free)

iTerm - A better Terminal. (Free)

Licensed - A place to store the registration information for all this new software I'm acquiring. (Free)

MAMP Pro - A web developer's friend. (Free while in public beta)

OmniWeb - A web browser worth paying for. ($)

Parallels Desktop - Client virtualisation done correctly. ($)

Pixadex - Icon library manager. ($)

Quicksilver - I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. A file/folder/app launcher at its most basic, QS is so very much more. Check the site and the quick reference guide for details, because there is very little that this software can't do. One of the first things that should be installed on every new Mac. (Free)

Sidenote - A wee notepad that sticks to the side of the screen and slides out of view when not needed. Very handy. (Free)

skEdit - skEdit + CSSEdit = :happydance:. For those who don't want to deal with TextMate's learning curve. Syntax highlighting and code completion done well. ($)

SOHO Notes - Stuff collector. I'm currently evaluating DEVONthink, SOHO Notes, MacJournal, and Journler. (I tried, disliked, and uninstalled Mori, Caboodle, Yojimbo, KIT, and a few others.) I'm having a really hard time eliminating any one of them from the running, because they're all actively developed and have a lot to offer. If I had to select one to buy right at this moment, though, it would probably be SOHO Notes. Probably. I think. ($)

VirtueDesktops - Because there's never enough screen real estate, this'll tide us over until we get Spaces. (Free)

WebnoteHappy - Bookmark manager with--this is key--excellent del.icio.us integration. ($)

Yummy FTP - Sure, it's not the crowd favourite, but it's mine. I tried all the big ones, and liked this better than both Transmit and Cyberduck. ($)
  • mo_mughrabi
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aperture - Photographers
Lightroom Adobe - Photographers

====

cheers
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thunderbird is great, I use it all the time and it handles spam so much better than anything else. :)

candy bar is good too, they have some great matrix icons :)
  • jdh77
  • jdh77

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG, can you think of a "plain text," (not "rich text,") editor?

Also does anyone know of an incarnation of mc (Midnight Commander) that will EASILY install? (If it needs "X," it installs "X.")

I thank you all, for input on this thread. I will surely put your efforts to work.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya John. Sure, there are loads of plain text editors. "Rich text" editors are word processors like MS Word and what's included with NeoOffice. Everything else, including aforementioned programmer's tools, is basically a glorified text editor. There's the one that comes built into the OS for one, TextEdit. Do you need something more flexible than that? Try Smultron. There're the ones you can use from the command line, like vi. The best ones I've found I've already mentioned above: skEdit and TextMate.

Hope that helps.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about TextEdit. It's not really plain, but very close to notepad.
UnRarX for rar archives.
I also frequently use DVD Studio Pro, which is expensive and way much better than iDVD.
Basicaly all Pro applications are very cool, and most importantly work with each other very easily.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to mention about Automator. It's built into OS and can do sequences of commands of whatever software (not all the software though) you're using. I'm using it to resize pictures for web with one click of a button.
  • gutter
  • gutter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good mac apps, so many its hard to count:

Systems Administration:

Carbon Copy Cloner - Free - makes exact copy of hard drives, works perfectly, good for cloning out mass numbers of images. In fact any mac sysadmin should check out Mike's site at http://www.bombich.com/ he is one of the best resources for administrating (is it administrating or administering, I've never quite been able to figure that out) the platform.

radmin - $30 - Like apple remote desktop but works well with the command line. Haven't used it since it was free though...

Airport Management Utility/Airport Utility - Free - Manage all your base stations from one central app. Dont know why apple doesn't advertise this more...

Network Home Redirector - Free - Just a script actually but it make symbolic links from the network home directory to the local drive on login. Very useful for stopping people clogging up your network transferring massive amount of data in the form of caches and preferences to a remote profile and for stopping the microsoft word hour long startup problem. A must for anyone running a networked users environment over wireless with microsoft office.

KisMac - Free - How secure is your wireless network really? Find out by loading up this cute little piece of software and seeing how long it takes to hack yourself. Show your boss to try and get some money for the upgrade you've been asking for. Also check out ethereal using...

Mac Ports - Free - Like fink but has access to a larger database of ports. Use to be called Darwin ports

Xcode - Free - How cool is it that apple actually gives out their whole programing IDE free. Very useful.

As for fun apps, I'll have to let you know once i get the hard drive on my laptop fixed (dang thing burned out and I bought it less than a year ago, well thank god for warranty). I've got a memory like a rusty sieve for things like fun programs.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simplify Media is a free OS X and Windows application that lets you share your iTunes library over the 'net. It differs from other apps that provide the same functionality in the following ways:

- It's not a server app with a web interface. Although it's a separate application (like iScrobbler and the like), its functionality is a part of iTunes. Others' libraries just appear in your source list under the "Shared" entry.

- It's not a pain in the a*se to install and configure. Those of you who use just one computer on your home network probably have shared libraries in iTunes turned off. You install this app, enable shared libraries in iTunes, create your account and invite your friends, and you're set.

Seriously? This is the most painless, easy-to-use, music-sharing application I've ever encountered. And the kicker, for me, is that you cannot download what you hear, which will hopefully keep the RIAA off their back. Instead, it has the opposite effect (or does on me, anyway): I hear something, love it!, user goes offline, can no longer hear it, oh no!, must have, so what do I do? I buy the music for myself instead of relying on a library that may not always be available to me.

K, I've babbled on long enough. Suffice it to say that I think this app is wicked cool, totally brilliant, and so do my completely computer-illiterate friends, who finally managed to get one of my recommended applications working without any help from me.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

- Ayem - A 3D/2D image development for Macintosh or other OS.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Komodo Edit - although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Komodo IDE or the Activestate Perl PDK pro studio, this one is free which means it is nice
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

great list guys, I concur across the board. There's sooo many good apps and useful tools on mac. Kudos to this list. :thumbsup:
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
SOHO Notes - Stuff collector. I'm currently evaluating DEVONthink, SOHO Notes, MacJournal, and Journler. (I tried, disliked, and uninstalled Mori, Caboodle, Yojimbo, KIT, and a few others.) I'm having a really hard time eliminating any one of them from the running, because they're all actively developed and have a lot to offer. If I had to select one to buy right at this moment, though, it would probably be SOHO Notes. Probably. I think. ($)

K, I lied. I chose Journler, one of the best apps on the Mac. Donationware for personal use, a $25 license for non-personal use (which includes commercial, non-profit, edu). Worth so much more than that, I'd advise buying a license before the price goes up. =)

I've officially had my Mac for a year now (+2 days), so here are some more:

GarageSale. If you sell on ebay, your choices are manual listing, GarageSale, or iSale. Based on price, support, fantastic upgrade policy, and free additional downloads (templates), GarageSale is my pick. ($)

Hallon. This free, open source application hasn't been updates in years, but it works on 10.4.10 and is brilliant. Basically it lets you create bookmarks where bookmarks don't belong. So let's say I'm reading an e-mail message and I have to follow-up on it. I can create a Hallon "bookmark" that will link directly to that message. I can associate an alarm with the bookmark, as well. So instead of creating a separate to-do list and collecting/attaching individual resources, I can create system-wide "bookmarks" throughout the day. So very handy.

Jing and Skitch. The latter is much cooler but the former does video. Both are indispensable to me now and I'm not sure how i got on without them. They're both still in preview stage, so pricing isn't available yet (read: for now, they're *free*).

MarsEdit. Blogging client. Afaik, there are basically two options for native (in other words Cocoa, not Java) blogging clients: ecto and MarsEdit. I bought MarsEdit without evaluating ecto because I know and respect the developer, so you might like to give both a go.

VMWare Fusion. Has replaced Parallels Desktop from my initial list of recommended software. There was a huge kerfuffle when Parallels Desktop 3.0 was released, and at the end of it, I really didn't feel like supporting the developers anymore. Plus Fusion was just better when I tried it: faster, more stable, and more integrated into my OS X environment. Funky fresh. (20 bucks off 'til the end of the year, in case anyone's interested.)

VisualHub ($). Quality and ease of use definitely worth paying for. I've been ripping films and TV series to my iPhone, and this has really made it a cinch.

Twitterrific (free). Still the best Twitter client on the Mac (imo).
  • kapalpecah
  • kapalpecah

Post 3+ Months Ago

cssedit,coda = web developer should use this
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome thread, I vote sticky
  • 60heros
  • Born
  • Born