Vista Ultimate or Mac OS X Leapard?

• SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been thinking about buying Vista Ultimate or Mac OS X Leapard when it comes out. What are some GOOD reasons I should get 1 over another.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Good" is a subjective term. What's "good" to me might be completely idiotic to you (and I reckon some of it will be). Here are some "good" reasons for me to upgrade to Leopard:

- Vista is hideous.
- Leopard will make better use of my Intel Mac than Tiger currently does.
- Leopard will bring better functionality and more maturity and stability to applications that just aren't good enough (for me) in Tiger: iChat, Mail.app, iCal.
- Leopard will bring additional features built into the OS that I currently get through third-party applications, like Spaces.
- I see no reason to choose 2 operating systems (Vista, Linux) when I can have all three (Leopard, Vista, Linux).
- Did I mention that Vista is hideous?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

++ vista is a resource hog.
i'm not sure how much of one leopard will be but the developer preview said it required 256MB ram for a PPC mac or 512MB for an Intel mac. but i'm pretty sure vista is more of a resource hog than leopard will be..
then theres the whole Mac isn't affected by Windows' viruses and spyware. but i dont get viruses and spyware in Windows so i think thats kind of user error :]
i'd recommend you try them before you buy them and see what you like better.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does Vista have any advantages over OS X?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuprSonic5 wrote:
Does Vista have any advantages over OS X?

!lolol! :]
it runs Windows programs. kind of..
not all of them, but most, probably..
and you can play games made for windows. probably. if your computer is good enough.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I heard that Vista won't run some of Windows older programs. Microsoft wants at least $200 for Vista Ultimate and it won't even run everything haha luckily for them there isn't a huge amount of competition.

My computer should be good enough. I'm a pretty hardcore gammer lol. I update my hardware every few months and sell the old stuff.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuprSonic5 wrote:
My computer should be good enough. I'm a pretty hardcore gammer lol. I update my hardware every few months and sell the old stuff.

yea..i haven't updated in about 1 1/4 years, but the only reason my pc doesn't pass the "best performance" test on ATI's website is because my video card doesn't support pixel shader 3. lol
& evidently my 2.2GHz proc is rated at 3.70GHz? sweet.

but about some programs not running, its very true. when i had vista installed (i get bored easily), it wouldn't let me install AIM, and i had to use an Old version of Daemon Tools, i think v3.3? my Avast! antivirus wouldn't install even though it claimed it could, and when running 3DMark01SE i got something like 15,500 marks? which is 8,000 lower than my lowest test in XP.. lol its kind of ridiculous. i wouldn't want to try like PCMark05 or 3DMark06 in Vista.. *shudder* , that is..if they'd even install. you can't be sure a program will work until you try it.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5

Post 3+ Months Ago

My best card is an Nvidia 7900 gs. Its a pretty good card but its just short of Direct X worthy :( . My 3.0 GHz AMD processor rated 4.49. How'd the come up with that?

Wow. Its that bad. Ouch for Microsoft. FYI AIM 6 (beta) is Vista compatible. Check it out: http://beta.aol.com/projects.php?project=aim6. And this version of Daemon Tools said its compatible: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/downloa ... ry&catid=5.
At least they claim it should work.

I guess Vista is a mega resource hog. I was hoping for a little bit better news lol.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you probably have either the athlon 64 4400 or 4600?
mines the socket 939 3700+ , which i love :D because its stock 2.2GHz but i've overclocked it to 2.91GHz and thats just a ridiculous overclock.. lol i wanted to get it to 3 but it couldn't quite make it. not sure if the problem was w/the ram or the proc but i didn't want to try too hard to find out.
and my vid card's an x800 w/vivo, so its not the hottest thing out there either. but thats not a bad card.. lol not bad at all. lots of pixel pipelines, lol
but yea, vista is a mega resource hog.. and theres not really any GOOD reason for people to upgrade. thats why when windows 95 came out, people were lined up at stores waiting and when vista was released, no one really cared.. lol

and i much prefer aim without all the BS ads.. :] http://aimadhack.webhop.net/
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

boycott vista, Microsoft is going to attempt to force people to buy the new OS by making programs "Vista exclusive" also they are having a problem with people generating legit CD keys to register pirated copies. Eventually people will start buying copies in the store that have already been "registered" I'd wait for this problem to be fixed before even touching their new os. So much for "Un-hackable" also vista is apparently pretty buggy and needs lots of resources. The new Mac OS is a much better bet at this time. It has a much better interface and will most likely have few if any serious bugs.
  • islandinthesnow
  • Born
  • Born
  • islandinthesnow
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why I did it:

You can always run windows of any form using Parallels/other software manipulation. Keep your bsd-based OS around the outside of your windows OS to avoid malware, and use Parallels 3.0 to run your windows-only programs. So far, it looks like I'm not straying from XP Pro for a while for running my windows-only apps, and that's still inside of my Mac OS. I have a copy of Vista that I'm experimenting with - and that's where it's staying until I'm confident in the system.

Looking for a good reason? Look at the rap sheet: Microsoft takes a LOT longer to fix all the bugs/security holes/misc problems, and it's a much bigger target for "733t hax0r5" script kiddies. Staying with, in my opinion, a more stable system will give you more peace of mind and better results until the M$ platform proves itself to a point that makes you comfortable.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a little curious about how much leopard is going to cost. That was one jaw dropping thing with Vista when it first hit store shelves was the hefty price tag. Sure, I was use to getting my XP for free from the academic alliance through my college and being able download linux for free. To be honest, Tiger is really the only operating system I have ever bought.

I did get a bit of Vista experience here at work. We got a laptop for one employee and decided to use her as our lab rat to test Vista. My biggest problem was how the user interface was just similar enough to XP that it was familiar, but at the same time it was different enough I was getting lost easily. The next issue we had was with our symantec. We needed to upgrade the symantec server to version 10.2 just to be able to push the antivirus to Vista. So then we started having troubles with the live update on every other computer on the network.

In my own opinion though, I would probably stick with the Mac OS.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I'm a little curious about how much leopard is going to cost.

USD$129.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
kc0tma wrote:
I'm a little curious about how much leopard is going to cost.

USD$129.

Even my low income budget can afford that, much better than several hundred dollars for Vista ultimate. That is what I am liking about Leopard over vista: There is just Leopard, not Leopard home basic/business/ultimate/and all others. Just one version with all the goods built in.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

For what it's worth:

I've been using Vista off and on since it's Beta 2 release. I got a new laptop at work which had Vista preloaded, and used it every day for about 4 months. Recently I ran into problems with how it interacts with older servers and filesharing, and how the security within vista reacts to the same security on our network. All in all, I got one big headache and a lot of unnecessary issues. Vista is the future, but it is not the here and now.

I use a mac at home, for the past 3+ years and I will never go back. Leopard is simply a small upgrade to Tiger, so realize what that means. Leopard's platform and backbone are already established and well formed. Whereas Vista basically too a giant leap into newness. It's terrible IMO.

XP just got good, why change it? I just reloaded XP back onto my work laptop because all the bologna I was dealing with.

IMO: Vista offers me nothing that XP already did. Yes it has some nice bells and whistles, but I prefer stability and usablity over flash and flare. Vista is nothing more than a wannabe Linux-Mac hybrid while still teetering on questionable microsoft programming.

Mac all the way baby. Image
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm stealing that little Mac icon from you ;)

I just built a new PC and am running a nice clean install of XP 64-bit. My PowerBook is running Tiger. Even though I have two copies of Vista courtesy of my university, I won't be touching it for a long, long time.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:

..could we modify that to "Mac or Linux all the way"? lol
i recently received a very nasty virus in xp which proceeded to royally destroy vista. wow..wasn't that great?
the only way my pc was usable was to hop into my linux install at which point i was forced to make everything work that i was too lazy to before. but now that everythings running great, i see no reason to fix xp & vista. lol
i agree w/you, vista can blow a horn up its own rear ^_^
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have a linux one like the mac, but i can't find it. I'll take a better look when i get home.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean by "a linux one like the mac"?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The little icon.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
The little icon.

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
Vista is nothing more than a wannabe Linux-Mac hybrid while still teetering on questionable microsoft programming.

Oh yeah! I even noticed that when I was working with a vista laptop, the shiny new windows explorer even looks a bit like the finder in Tiger.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista has this cool new integrated search feature now. It looks a bit familiar...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/instantsearch.mspx
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why does microsoft threaten lawsuits on some of the open source companies (red hat, open office......) but not threaten Apple? Because if OS X is Unix based, and red hat and suse are linux operating systems, why is Apple ignored? Is it because apple can run MS office, and apple develops software for windows like iTunes and what not? (not mentioning th ezune of course) I wonder if those rumors you hear sometimes about microsoft execs and employees owning shares in Apple are true, if so that would be a good reason not to put apple out of business.

It is kind of ironic that microsoft is suing other companies for copyright infringement, all the while their current product line has such a close resemblance to other competitors.

@spork - nice little trick there, fooled me!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts