As if IE on windows wasnt bad enough.

• Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello fine people.

Ok so I finally got the hang of using CSS for Firefox and IE, I'm still trying to gather strenght to work on other browsers such as Opera and Safari.

Truth of the matter is that for Windows, IE and Firefox are the most used browsers. Nuff said.

I recently hit a wall, this wall has sharp spikes and it laughs at me.

It's called the Mac, and its version of IE.

Theres a new guy at work, he works with a Mac. So 20 minutes ago, out of curiosity I asked him to open one of my websites, lo and behold, all hell is broke loose.

I could easily code (hack & slash CSS ninja skillz!1 lol) new specific CSS for the Mac version of IE, but the only way for me to check the results would be to use his Mac.

My question is, what do you guys do when you're faced with this problem? When you don't have a Mac or when you can't use one, how do you counter the problem? Is there any way to check how the Mac would read my code, without using a Mac? Some software or some sort of something...
  • wphilipw
  • Student
  • Student
  • wphilipw
  • Loc: PA, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

you go down to the local Apple Store shell out $1700 and get a Mac Book Pro with Windows AND OSX ability. lol

or...

in the event that $1700 is not just sitting around you download PearPC (google it) and you borrow your friend at work's Mac OSX CDs (and pray that they are not specific to his computer) and install PearPC/Mac OSX on your Windows Computer. (PearPC emulates PowerPC so it must be PowerPC version of OSX.

or...

again in the even that you do not have $1700 at your disposal, and in this case are too lazy to toy around with PearPC or want to install OSX natively on your PC, download the torrent file for MacOSX Intel version that was bootstraped with VMware drivers, that can be installed on any PC

those are the only options I can think of as to how to test IE for Mac on a windows computer... besides, you get Mac OSX with this too, that alone makes it worth it right? ;-)
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed, i love its sexy curves.

Ill be honest, i didnt even bother looking around for the answer, goes to show how much i trust ozzu heh, even thought of it before i went to google.

Thanks, ill give the last option a try.
  • vin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vin
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a mac, use Safari. I lub them both :wink:

lol anyways. By "all hell broke loose," do you mean nothing worked, or do you mean that some spiffy visual stuff like mouse-over-link colors didn't work?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.danvine.com/icapture/
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the url you'll want for IE on the Mac (justG's link defaults to Safari):
http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/

Another site for Mac Safari testing: safaritest.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it's Safari, it was a reference for general Mac testing when you haven't got one (I haven't got one, either). The link that Impel GD provided is, I believe, for IE 7 beta. Have you seen stats for IE/Mac? The only browsers worth bothering with, in terms of Mac testing, are Camino and Safari, imo.

.g
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Firefox on a Mac, I have Safari and Camino but I still stick with firefox. Yes it has a few quirks, but I like it (skins, extras etc) better than either safari or camino. However what I would suggest is not worry abou tpeople using IE on a mac (I know I know never leave a group of people out) but who in thier right mind still uses IE on a mac? If they do they should be... ok Ill leave that out. but anyone that uses a mac on a regular basis should not I repeat not be using IE.

*shudder*
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I.E. on the Mac....pfff...What a joke. Can you really exspect to find any software originally designed for the inferior Windows PC to work on a Mac?
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im running three computers right now, two macs and a windows, the macs are so much better, I just keep the PC around to play certains steam games on :) anyways back on topic, I really dont know anyone who actually uses IE on mac everyone i know either uses safari or firefox. The demographic your talking about might be very small,
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Bacon Heartburn
  • Loc: Mississauga, On

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres no IE on the mac since 2005
  • Vampire
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

wphilipw wrote:
you go down to the local Apple Store shell out $1700 and get a Mac Book Pro with Windows AND OSX ability. lol

or...

in the event that $1700 is not just sitting around you download PearPC (google it) and you borrow your friend at work's Mac OSX CDs (and pray that they are not specific to his computer) and install PearPC/Mac OSX on your Windows Computer. (PearPC emulates PowerPC so it must be PowerPC version of OSX.

or...

again in the even that you do not have $1700 at your disposal, and in this case are too lazy to toy around with PearPC or want to install OSX natively on your PC, download the torrent file for MacOSX Intel version that was bootstraped with VMware drivers, that can be installed on any PC

those are the only options I can think of as to how to test IE for Mac on a windows computer... besides, you get Mac OSX with this too, that alone makes it worth it right? ;-)

thx for the info
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE stopped being supported on mac years back I though, when Safari came out :/
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago