Microsofts "Kumo" to become "Bing"

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft is planning another multi-million dollar ad campaign, one with a budget four times that of Googles entire annual advertising budget which is around $25 million. The campaign is for Microsofts new version of Live search previously codenamed "Kumo", and now to be called "Bing".

Microsoft is looking to sell people on statistics such as 42 percent of all searches needing to be refined, and roughly one in every four post-search clicks resulting in a press of the back button instead of traversing further through a site. Apparently Microsoft believes their own internal data is a good measure of what everyone is doing.

Microsoft hopes that rather than "Googling" people will begin "Binging", but if you ask me the only binging they're going to hear will be that of their advertising efforts ricocheting off of Googles' heavily armored position at number one.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

When will microsoft learn to create something new instead of just doing what everyone else is already doing?

lotus notes -> ms word
apple ipod -> ms zune
sony ps2 -> ms xbox
adobe flash -> ms sliverlight
yahoo mail -> ms hotmail
google -> ms bling

anyone else seeing a pattern here? granted some of those have been successful and are done better than the original but its pretty rare.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bing?!?

I give it up for their business acumen, but...BING? I predict someone in their marketing dept. is going to be job hunting soon. Ha!

graphixboy wrote:
When will microsoft learn to create something new instead of just doing what everyone else is already doing?

Probably when they're financially unsuccessful at doing it. In one sense, what they've done with a lot of their products is similar to open-source by taking (buying) existing products and building on and around them.
  • carazoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:

lotus notes -> ms word
apple ipod -> ms zune
sony ps2 -> ms xbox
adobe flash -> ms sliverlight
yahoo mail -> ms hotmail
google -> ms bling

anyone else seeing a pattern here? granted some of those have been successful and are done better than the original but its pretty rare.

I absolutely agree with you :-)
  • extomas
  • Loc: Lithuania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Waiting news about it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fun read about "Why Bing Will Fail" here.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Microsoft switched http://search.live.com to http://www.bing.com a little early.

Where have I seen that favicon (Image) before ? :scratchhead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts