MSN Beta Search

• gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've noticed that there has not been a lot of talk in this forum about the MSN Beta Search. If you haven't checked it out already you can find it here http://beta.search.msn.com.

It seems to have improved immensely over the old MSN Search (i really hated it). Its results differ greatly from both the old search and Google's. It offers a lot of handy new search tools and to be honest it is in my opinion is pretty funky-looking.

Has anyone used it yet and what do you think?

By the way I found a handy tool to check your web site's ranking in MSN Beta Search: http://www.devppl.com/msnbetarankings.php

It is just a feeling but this time next year I think we may have to work a lot more to please MSN :o
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I suggest we open up a forum for MSN and one for Yahoo just like we have one for Google already.
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that MSN bot is spidering pretty aggressively. I just put a posting on a small, relatively unknown forum on cable modems and I already see that listing under my username in the beta.msn search.

I get a lot of hits everyday on my sites as well.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

MSNBot is working overtime these days. I hope it is geting paid for overtime :)

An MSN forum would be a good move I reckon.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you guys are serious about an msn forum - post over in the suggestions forum. But don't just put - i'd like to see an msn forum. back it up with some good reasons as to why an msn forum would benfit ozzu - would it attract new users? what are the advantages? + so on....

A new forum means a lot of work for the mods - the benefit of the new forum needs to outweigh the cons.

Of course you'll all have my support - i've been trying for a marketing forum for a while now.... ;)
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear ya :)

It'd probably be best to wait until MSN switches the current version of its search with the new one currently represented by MSN Beta Search before suggesting the MSN search engine forum.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
If you guys are serious about an msn forum - post over in the suggestions forum. But don't just put - i'd like to see an msn forum. back it up with some good reasons as to why an msn forum would benfit ozzu - would it attract new users? what are the advantages? + so on....

A new forum means a lot of work for the mods - the benefit of the new forum needs to outweigh the cons.

Of course you'll all have my support - i've been trying for a marketing forum for a while now.... ;)

Definately a good idea, especially the marketing forum. I'll even volunteer to mod in it.
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems to be a lot larger in size now.

I tried searching for "domain name registration" and found 48,093,131 results!

Clare
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still get the feeling it has not indexed many sites yet, but it is only a hunch.

It is giving nearly everyone practising SEO great results now but that could easily change. The rumours are that it is getting the SEO practitioners excited to create a 'buzz' in the community and get everyone talking about it.
  • chris911
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chris911
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone know when it will be made MSN's default search engine?
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nobody knows a definite date but I have heard January or at least Q1 2005. Could even be before the end of the year but I doubt it.
  • Ablie
  • Ablie
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried it about a week ago and it's all ive been using. Im highly impressed with it. I think itll be even better when it goes official.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I can say is I hope it doesn't change its search results too much between now and release date, my sites are ranking very well.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it...better look, and very current results. As an experiment I searched for "7th Fleet" (my site), and it was higher up in the ranking than on Google by about four pages. I clicked "More results from 7thfleet.sytes.net" and it indexed every single page it could reach via links... :shock: Didn't find the pages I hadn't linked to anywhere, though...

EDIT: Scratch that. It indexed every page.

EDIT: Didn't index every page on the server though. It only indexed the LoFi versions of pages in the IPB forum, and it didn't index any Admin CPs.
  • elbryan
  • Born
  • Born
  • elbryan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Beta is cool
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

what tweaks have you all done for the beta? One of my sites is doing better on the current msn/yahoo vs the beta.
  • engress
  • engress

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the beta a lot. MSN is all of a sudden sending me tons of traffic and spidering my sites a lot more thoroughly than most of the other engines.

It seems too good to be true. Thats what scares me about it. I have just been optimizing my pages a little and getting #1 and #2 results for excellent search terms.
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it very easy to get good results in this MSN Beta. I have obtain also pos 1 on very competitive keywords with websites that are about a couple of months old. I am also doing much better on yahoo too. I guess I am nailing down this SEO thing finally. Thanks for forums like OZZU and others for the information.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just an FYI -- it's no longer Beta.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts