MSN problem quite bizzare

• Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a dell laptop with xp pro...
I am in alot of msn groups....i can reply to any thread and post fine, but when i click on new discussion and the message box opens up msn crashes...
My other "proper" puter works fine and i have no problems...
I have only had the laptop a week and at first it worked fine in msn...now zilch...can anyone help
Jayne
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start with the event viewer logs. Then try it in safe mode.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats an event viewing log...and where would i find it...and whats safe mode....sorry...havent a clue...i just plug and go... :(
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reboot, hold F8. That should take you to the boot menu. Using the arrow keys, choose safe mode. Then try MSN again. Tell me if it still crashes.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did all that but it wont connect to the wirless thingy and the taskbar wasnt showing my connection icon so i couldnt connect...what do i do now
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to the event viewer. Open the control panel, administrative tools, event viewer.

There are 3 log files that record errors and other information. Look at system and application. Double click on any red errors and see what they say. If it seems like it has something to do with the problem, post it here. They have time stamps on them, so you can make it happen and look at the logs right away.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi....this seems to be the min problem

Faulting application msn6.exe, version 7.2.11.2700, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6000.16640, fault address 0x00084b17
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://download-free.programas-gratis.n ... .5&viene=0

Upgrading it to 7.5 may solve the problem. If not, you may have to replace that .dll file.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok will do that now...then you will have to tell me how to do the .dll thing....bbs
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing there for msn explorer 7.5 its all messenger...and thats not my problem that works fine..and i already have messenger 7.5
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I searched the error message and you're not the first to have the problem. Apparently, there are some conflicts with Google Desktop and two of the solutions are below. Updating Google Desktop was another suggestion.

Solved by disable Google Desktop Search Weboversigt as others have found. Thanks..

For those that do not browse the usergroups, the fix that worked for me is to disable the Web History checkbox in Google Desktop indexing options.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have Google desktop search my partner removed it on the first day...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

At this point there are a few things that you can try. If you want to continue to look for the conflict, run msconfig (start. run) and disable all under the startup tab. Reboot and see if it still happens.

You can uninstall MSN explorer from Add and Remove Programs in the control panel and reinstall it from:
http://explorer.msn.com/install.htm

You can try to replace mshtml.dll which is a little tricky. I would leave that until last.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?mshtml
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok now i am in a right pickle....i tried to reinstall msn explorer from the link you gave me and its asking me to PAY for it...i cant go any further now unless i chose 1 yrs subscription and that i am not doing....so now i dont have msn explorer at all...i have done a system restore and its not there....i could cry...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pay for it? How much do they want? How could it not be there if you did a system restore? Wasn't it there when you bought the machine? How far back did you go on the system restore?
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

They want 16.99...and yes it was there and i went back to last week when all this started...when the restore was over MSN kicked in saying to install...so i did and it asked me to pay again...so tried your link again and its asking me to pay....and ive just found out its to do with IE version 7....it isnt compatible with msn explorer anymore....i have no clue what to do now
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you did the restore and MSN was there, you don't need the install. Just open it and see if it works.
  • Jayne
  • Jayne

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok its sorted....my partner removed the IE7 update and went back to IE6 and its working fine now...ty for all your help....much appriciated
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad it's fixed. If I had known that MS wanted to charge, I never would have recommended a reinstall.
  • Steven D
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Steven D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jayne wrote:
I dont have Google desktop search my partner removed it on the first day...

just because you clicked add/remove programs and removed the program doesnt mean you dont have it. Programs like that keep their .dll files and registry keys and often your information incase you re-install it in the future.

If the net says there are conflicts, and you are having a conflict, then obviously this is the problem. do a better job of removing google desktop.

Registry Mechanic
Find the files manually and delete them

Check the net for some decent uninstall software.
  • Steven D
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Steven D

Post 3+ Months Ago

nvm didnt see this was 2 pages

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts