Recent MSN search changes?

• fantasyqb
  • Born
  • Born
  • fantasyqb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has something changed significantly with the MSN search ranking in the last few weeks?

Our site http://www.catalogs.com up until approx Dec 15th was ranking extrodinarily well for hundreds of our primary keywords. I was out of town over the holidays and when I came back yesterday and ran a Web Position report, we've completely dropped from everything.

I can't even find us ranking in the top 50 for "catalogs" which has been in the top 3 for us historically for years and years. In addition, it seems MSN has now only indexed around 150+ pages. A month ago it had indexed well over 1000.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Matt
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, MSN slapped a new beta server up not long ago, so it's possible they're merging in new info.

Plus, search engines are always picking up new things anyway, and modifying SERPs.
  • fantasyqb
  • Born
  • Born
  • fantasyqb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. fair enough. I know changes are happening all the time. But this has had a HUGE effect, so I'm suspecting something more significant has happened. Maybe on our end, though I can't figure it out.

But up until 2 weeks ago we were in the top 10 for HUNDREDS of primary keywords for us, as we've been for a very long time. For years we've been near the top for any phrase including the word "catalogs". Now I can't find one combination in the first 100.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might not be you. It might be your competitors. They may have improved their SEO to beat you.
  • fantasyqb
  • Born
  • Born
  • fantasyqb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Highly unlikely. For a variety of reasons.

1) Probably 65% of the catalog companies listed in the top 10 are our affiliates and I know exactly what they are doing - which is nothing new.

2) Our site http://www.catalogs.com has "authority status" according to Google, Yahoo, AND MSN. Told to us directly by the MSN VP of North American search (albeit 8 months ago).

3) I can't believe that after 9 years of success, we'd be eliminated completely from all rankings in a 2 week period by what are primarily spam, link, referral, affiliate sites.

Call me stupid and arrogant :)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

as I said in pm, this is just something that is happening to a wide scope of sites in MSN right now. It happened to me as well, and one of my site's just came back on Monday. I know it's not what you want to hear, but just be patient, and you should return to your original positioning.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get such minimal traffic from MSN as it is - i'm not too worried.

Funny thing is we rank #1 for many of our keywords. Out visitors just don't like MSN i guess! :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bbott1982 wrote:

If you get minimal traffic, then perhaps you SHOULD be worried. Yeah, lots going on at MSN right now, but I prefer to be getting a lot of traffic from MSN. Not as much as Google, obviously, but I'm still getting a fair chunk from both MSN and Yahoo.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
bbott1982 wrote:

If you get minimal traffic, then perhaps you SHOULD be worried. Yeah, lots going on at MSN right now, but I prefer to be getting a lot of traffic from MSN. Not as much as Google, obviously, but I'm still getting a fair chunk from both MSN and Yahoo.

Well, let me rephrase....

I rank #1 on Yahoo!, #3 on Google, and #1 on MSN for about 4 of our target keywords. Of those 3 search engines, Google and Yahoo! blow MSN away. It seems the volume of use MSN gets is far below google and yahoo! Atleast for our keywords!

If you still think I should be worried feel free to explain, LOL :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts