•  
    add your site
  •  
    link directory
  •  
    a combination
  •  
    none of the above (please specify)

Top on MSN for seach term but still no hits.

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

My directory ranks #1 on MSN search for the term submit your link but i've not been getting any visitors that found me by searching that term. I thought that would have been a popular search term for people looking for directories.

What do people search when looking for a directory?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

when I'm looking for a directory, I'm usually looking for a directory on a specific subject.

Pretty much the only broadly related directory worth submitting to is DMOZ.

I get absolutely ZERO traffic to any of my sites from DMOZ (and several of them are included), but it passes on some related-content backlinkage.

I would submit ReptileRooms, but you don't have a "Reptiles" section, just "Exotics", which is relative to where you live.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes are "Exotics" in Australia and the UK, but here in Florida, they're native. :)

"Exotics" can include such mundane creatures as hamsters and goldfish depending on your geographical location.

But yeah, I generally search for subject-specific links.

So I'll search for "submit your link" followed by a word for that site's subject matter.

For ReptileRooms, maybe that'll be "reptiles submit link", or "snakes submit link", "lizards add url", etc.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been thinking about making the catagories much more specific, and seeing what you say about what people search for it would help more than i first thought.

The only people who have found me from search engines are people searching for "religion submit link" (or something like thst) which supports what you are saying.

It's getting pretty good traffic and about 20 sites submitted each day, but not from seach engines.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
My directory ranks #1 on MSN search for the term submit your link but i've not been getting any visitors that found me by searching that term. I thought that would have been a popular search term for people looking for directories.

What do people search when looking for a directory?

when im looking for what keyword terms are best I use, http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/sugge ... country=us

you basically enter a term and it tell you how many times it is searched for on overture(yahoo, etc.) per day and its updated often.

also it gives you similar keywords to term you entered that people search.

best of all its free, hope this helps
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is not a suprise, we are ranking for the terms like affordable web hosting , ensim hosting, cpanel hosting over years and i didnt see a MSN refferal yet :D
  • brassinserts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • brassinserts

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW fewer people use MSN compared to Google
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

even less now than did 7 months ago...
  • seoocean
  • seoocean
  • Loc: Internet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have my website # 1 on MSN for 8 different SEO related terms - all put together gave me 5 hits in September !

MSN is awful
  • Swiss Watch
  • Born
  • Born
  • Swiss Watch
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, MSN is the easiest to get a high ranking on, but simply not worth putting any effort into (right now). Things might change if Redmond manage to get the MSN search more tightly integrated with Windows, but they have trouble with that as the other search engines cry foul every time they try anything to glean themselves an advantage.

Given the big M's track record, my money is on them finding a way and getting more of the search engine business. If they don't, they could be in trouble as the operating system market isn't growing like search is.
  • Fergie
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My site is ranked 1 in msn,but not getting vistors. People don't search Msn that much. Thinking about changing keywords and content.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts