CSS Competition #1: Ozzu Look and Feel

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

god I am dense sometimes...... hahahaha yes now I get it. but it is a very clever illusion - it does look like translucent film. I couldn't get my mind to think about it differently.................... nicely done.

umm... is anyone else still obsessing over their entry even though they've submitted it? a few more hours and hopefully I'll have gotten most of the bugs out of it.... but the thing that bugs me most of all - I've got one - count it - ONE - pixel giving me a horizontal scroll bar in FF. It's gone in IE, and it's down to one pixel in FF. and I can't find it.
aaaah........... wheeere aaaare yooou....?............

(going nuts here................)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOAH jameson, Your entry ROCKS! I really really love it :D I am so glad bigweb has given us a chance to do this, because its showing some of the awesome talent this place has to offer.

Also dM I thought of the sig thing because of the Ozzu oscars. Thought it would be nice for the winner and runners up to have a little something incase bigweb doesn't have time to implement the design that wins :)
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
WOAH jameson, Your entry ROCKS! I really really love it :D I am so glad bigweb has given us a chance to do this, because its showing some of the awesome talent this place has to offer.

Thanks Benat :D

The butterfly design you came up with is absolutely amazing, by the way!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel like mine is really amateurish compared to some of these other ones LOL!
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
I feel like mine is really amateurish compared to some of these other ones LOL!

I think we're probably all feeling that way right about now... I mean, I figured you guys would come up with some good designs, but this is crazy! :shock: :)
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup yup, I agree!

The good thing is now bigweb has a whole range of ideas for new themes hehe.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
umm... is anyone else still obsessing over their entry even though they've submitted it?

Hahaha.... have you looked at mine in IE yet? It's atrocious! Of course I am!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

its not that bad hun!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spork wrote:
Hahaha.... have you looked at mine in IE yet? It's atrocious! Of course I am!

good, at least I'm not alone..... spent 7 hours on it yesterday, and I'm down to two glitches (posted over in 'website design' so I won't bore you with it here, but man they're kicking my.... khhkhm.... behind.......

oh spork, one more question - and I ask you cuz it seems to me so far only you have done it - how'd you get the 'bigwebmaster', 'joebert' etc etc links in the 'whoisonline' div to have the same color as .adminColor etc? I had no trouble doing those three classes, but now whatever I do I can't attach them to the links below. I thought something simple like
Code: [ Select ]
.adminColor a {blah blah}
might do it but 'ffcourse it don't......................... I was actually digging through your code to see if I can find it, but I'm none the wiser! :)
Benat wrote:
its not that bad hun!

thanks sweetie. and as for yours being most ammateurish, far from it - you've got my vote so far. and this is no girl power thing - it's merely the fact that yours looks by far cleanest. you knew exactly what you wanted and you pulled it off perfectly. others are going for more 'advanced' effects in some areas, but they all show little issues and inconsistencies along the way (including mine, big-time....) yours is most rounded-off.

and yes, I think we all feel like ours is the worst. I sure do. you just get overwhelmed by all the cool elements - both on the design and the programming side - that everyone else put in....
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here goes the alpha version.... the final, last and irrevocable entry.

design - code - validation

and a great big warm thank you to jameson, grinch and bigweb for pulling together to solve my final bug. thanks guys.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
ok here goes the alpha version.... the final, last and irrevocable entry.

design - code - validation

and a great big warm thank you to jameson, grinch and bigweb for pulling together to solve my final bug. thanks guys.

Looks great! And nice work with the color-coding in the 'who is online' area!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that took a while :)

I think it's pretty close to identical now in all 3 browsers.... and if anyone spots any discrepancies.... don't tell me :)
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

I kinda lost focus on this one - after realising that forums are quite difficult to design for. I was aiming for a blog style design in fashionable colours, but in the end things started to drift away from what I had in my head.

Not all that pleased with the outcome (a little too empty somehow), but here it is anyway...

design css validation
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you kidding? I think it's a great entry. I love how it's completely different from anything else entered so far. I also like that you chose to go with a fixed width and not a flowing design for something different. Good job IMO.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the alternating indentation for the forums. That's something pretty unique that I never would've thought of. The whole design looks nice and clean.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
are you kidding? I think it's a great entry. I love how it's completely different from anything else entered so far. I also like that you chose to go with a fixed width and not a flowing design for something different. Good job IMO.

Thanks for the compliments!

I guess I'm just frustrated that what was in my head at the start was not what came out at the end - the story of my life.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zwirko wrote:
I guess I'm just frustrated that what was in my head at the start was not what came out at the end - the story of my life.

haha I know how you feel... in fact I think you just defined the profession of a designer there. but the entry is fantastic. I might have done something a little different with the colors, but the feel, look and shape of absolutely everything is spot on - in fact I think your entry is my new favourite......... if it was an ozzu skin I'd use it.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pardon me but it has been quite a while since the last time I did any CSS coding.

Anyway, here's my entry for this competition:
design | css | validation

The design 'should' work in major web browsers and degrade gracefully in older browser.

I'm still working on fixing one of the margin/spacing bug in IE6 and below in my yop Nav header division. It does look like a 'double margin float' bug, but I've tried the suggested fix but failed. Any input is highly appreciated. thanks.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice job :D
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
Nice job :D

thanks. I still can't fix the margin bug in IE6 and below. :(
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool :D I like what you did with marking the Admin, Supermoderators and Moderators - quite original!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

// xfahmix - I just realised you are from the region that my family originally comes from!

I love the design, its very original :D
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys. I really appreciate that :D

I've been studying for almost 5 years now. imo, Cork is a fantastic place to live in. No wonder Ireland was named the best place to live in the world.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't Cork the city that used to be Queenstown, which I remember because it's where the Titanic stopped on it's way to the doom and gloom of the bottom of the atlantic. I would like to take this opportunity to w00t for nerds!

My design's still having problems ... should be able to finish it before the deadline though ... should ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

come on Breeze.... we're all waiting for you and R_T... the competition won't be proper without you!

anyhow I'm off into the mountains now... good luck one and all! Merry, Happy, and all that! see you on the other side......
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
Isn't Cork the city that used to be Queenstown, which I remember because it's where the Titanic stopped on it's way to the doom and gloom of the bottom of the atlantic. I would like to take this opportunity to w00t for nerds!

My design's still having problems ... should be able to finish it before the deadline though ... should ...

I'm residing in Cork City while the town you mentioned, Queenstown which now is known as Cobh (Cove), is a small port town 30 mins by bus from here located near the Cork Harbour. Although it is in the same county (County Cork) but they are two different city/town. And you are right, Cobh was also the Titanic’s last port before its tragic shipwreck.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is so awesome, I was just talking to an irish friend yesterday about County Cork and he had no idea where it was! I thought I had got it wrong, but now I know I didn't YAY.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

xfahmix wrote:
I'm residing in Cork City while the town you mentioned, Queenstown which now is known as Cobh (Cove), is a small port town 30 mins by bus from here located near the Cork Harbour. Although it is in the same county (County Cork) but they are two different city/town. And you are right, Cobh was also the Titanic’s last port before its tragic shipwreck.

Thanks for clearing that up ... not so sure about my entry now ... but I'll sit here for the rest of the day trying to get t up to scratch for you :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

xfahmix wrote:
Pardon me but it has been quite a while since the last time I did any CSS coding.

Anyway, here's my entry for this competition:
design | css | validation

The design 'should' work in major web browsers and degrade gracefully in older browser.

I'm still working on fixing one of the margin/spacing bug in IE6 and below in my yop Nav header division. It does look like a 'double margin float' bug, but I've tried the suggested fix but failed. Any input is highly appreciated. thanks.

I absolutely LOVE the sheild and dragon. Awesome job with the colours too, very original and a good C.O.P.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait til the poll is opened :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 193 posts