Digital Art Competition #47: Nighttime Landscapes

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

The next topic is : Nighttime Landscapes. Be creative!.

Rules: This is strictly a digital art contest! Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have made the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your username (or as close to as possible)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image, otherwise you will be automatically disqualified!)

Length: Competition closes Tuesday March 31, 2009.

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.

Good Luck!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another fractal :)
Attachments:
Alex89 - Galaxy.jpg
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Created with Terragen, POVRay and Photoshop.
Attachments:
atno.jpg

Copyright 2009 ATNO Productions.

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

Whats your render time on something like that? I haven't used terragen in years but I remember it took quite a bit of time.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
_joebert.png
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:

Whats your render time on something like that? I haven't used terragen in years but I remember it took quite a bit of time.

The galaxy (nightime background) I had already a stock of them on POVRay and took about a minute to render. Terragen I had to work with a bit, but I didn't render high res. Just same pixel dimensions for the comp. Hi res version would have rendered in about 24 hours.

I added a lens flare and a lighting filter in photoshop.

All in all my entry took about 15 minutes to make.

I'll post the separate renders tomorrow when I get back to work and can access them again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

here are the two renders I used.
Attachments:
myGalaxy24.jpg

POVRay render. I layered this under the landscape layer in PS and added the lens flair to this layer.

Attachments:
test.jpg

Terragen Render. I used the Magic Wand tool in PS to remove the sky. I used a lighting filter on this layer to give a night time look to the landscape.

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its too bad that terragen insists on the atmosphere. It would have been a lot easier to composite without that. (at least I don't remember being able to turn it off) Anyway it still sounds like a render beast 24hrs per frame is kinda rough but you can't argue with the detail...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well when i say High res, i'm talking like a 3200x2400 render with the Atmosphere and Cloud details maxed and using the Ultra and Extra Blended Detail for the landscape. Honestly, when just doing land and the Atmosphere like this one, even at that detail it would have probably been more like 8 hours. However when rendering hi res with a lot of water, I've had some hi res renders take almost 3 days. TG2 has improved a lot of things (totally different rendering and construction concept - more on the lines of World Machine), but I'm still using a registered version of v.09
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I remember the rendering system did a good job but really wasn't well optimized. But hey it looks good. I suppose I should really enter this one. I've been pretty lax with comps lately.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
graphixboy.jpg

Full Moon...
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
graphixboy.jpg

Full Moon...

That's hallucinative graphixboy, I can almost hear a howl on the distance :thumbsup: Well done!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep going back to Joeberts. Not certain what I'm really liking about it. The moon in the telescope is cool, but what catches my eye is that "out of place" Yellow star in the upper right.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Lebrego. I haven't done much photo manipulation lately and really wanted to get back into it. I'm not overly happy with the car (I think its maybe too visible if that makes sense) Its more obvious in the large version but something to tweak i guess...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always thought the long exposure shots were really cool.

The lights in yours are almost like the glowing red eyes of something out of a monster movie graphixboy. :D
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
The lights in yours are almost like the glowing red eyes of something out of a monster movie graphixboy. :D

Well I wasn't going for scary but I can see how it wouldn't take much of a step to get there.. Come to think of it a nighttime landscape is probably screaming (pun intended) for a horror movie style broken down mansion :mrgreen:
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Graphixboy's photo is very nice.
If I only know how to use those softwares... *sigh*
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

keep in mind Jenie0109 that it isn't "just a photo". Not certain what all graphixboy did in his, but to qualify for this competition there has to be a good bit of digital alteration if you are going to use a photo. Several of these entries there is no photo involved at all. Others are digitally altered photos or combinations of both. Although good night photographers can take photos that look quite similar to graphixboy's entry without any alteration.

//and to know how to use the softwares, you really only need to buy some good ones and just start using them, read tutes, and play with them A LOT. If this kind of thing is something you'd really like to do, dropping $400 or $500 into a good program like Photoshop is probably the best investment you could make. Cheap considering the long term benefits. If you're only doing it for fun it might not make it worth it, but graphics design can be very rewarding and profitable.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
keep in mind Jenie0109 that it isn't "just a photo". Not certain what all graphixboy did in his, but to qualify for this competition there has to be a good bit of digital alteration if you are going to use a photo.

Haha its true. I'm just not that good a photographer. In a nutshell here's what I did. First, I found source images that fit my general concept.
Attachments:
road.jpg
Attachments:
sky.jpg
Attachments:
ruins.jpg
Attachments:
car.jpg

Then I recolored the foreground to match the night sky, replaced the old sky with my new one and added in a few details like the broken wall/shadow and the car. Finally I brushed in the glowing light streaks to make it look as if they car drove past as the picture was being taken.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

great entries guys! look for the poll soon
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see far too many of those Aston Martins (the yellow car in pic above) driving around here now. It makes me very jealous.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I see far too many of those Aston Martins (the yellow car in pic above) driving around here now. It makes me very jealous.

Your lucky you get to see them on the road. They're just the stuff of pictures to me..
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really sure why, but there are loads on the road here now. Within the last year or so they seem to be everywhere. By no means the most common car on the road, but i'll maybe see one or two every fortnight.

My mum and dad's neighbour bought one a year or so ago when it was 1 year old. That alone would have cost him about $140k.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts