Flash Competition #3 - Slide Show

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Topic is Slide Show. OK, we all know that image galleries/slide shows are prevalent on the internet. Object of this competition is create a custom slide show.

Rules: This is strictly a Flash contest! Only one submission per user will be allowed.
1. No Cheating! Please don't use a template. Make this yourself.
2. AS2 or AS3 is accepted.
3. Published Flash File must be Flash 8 or higher (sorry if you're still using MX, but let's get updated, OK?)
4. Music/Audio is permitted if you'd like, but not required.
5. Slide show must consist of minimum 5 images, maximum 15 (keep in mind file size limitations when publishing your file. File size was increased to 500KB given the nature of this comp. Thumbnails may be used if you want to use them and won't be counted against image totals - image totals {5-15} apply to full size images ).
6. Applications other than Flash may be used to create your swf.

You MUST have made the .swf yourself.

Max size dimensions (width and height): 640px (including border)
Max file size: 500kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your username (or as close to as possible)
To enter please include a .zip/.rar file which includes the HTML file, and the SWF as either an attachment or an external link, and a link to the working presentation. (please ensure your HTML file is cross-browser compatible. Also if using AS3 and you have any package AS files, please include those as well.)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your file, otherwise you will be automatically disqualified!)

Length: Competition closes Monday October 6, 2008. Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is going to be good. :twisted:
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

now if only i had some free time...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would be an example of this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

A basic example:
http://www.slideroll.com/myslideshows.php

Some people like to add controls. Up to you how you present it, but a slide show should have an automated change between images, vs. an image gallery which would require a selection of an image.

Some people actually combine galleries and slideshow methods for more user interactivity.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

but we are not allowed to make a image gallery?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
now if only i had some free time...

Now if only I knew how to do flash stuff...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fabinator wrote:
but we are not allowed to make a image gallery?

I was considering an image gallery for a future comp. Galleries and slide shows are different. Let's stick to slide shows on this one.

Here's another example of what would be acceptable for this comp. (Get creative!)
http://brettroegiers.com/mmc4341/slideshow/index.html
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question for clarification - must this script work if images are randomly inserted/placed in a directory, or does it simply have to look snazzy for the >=5 pictures in the flash file itself?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nobody has even submitted any yet, but already I have images in my head of what you whackos will come up with.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
Question for clarification - must this script work if images are randomly inserted/placed in a directory, or does it simply have to look snazzy for the >=5 pictures in the flash file itself?

Not quite sure I'm following you neksus. Unless you're thinking XML file and external images, I just assumed everyone would import their images into the library and use them embeded.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i guess i was assuming player + xml + images esp since I find embedding stuff in the flash lib a big pain in the ass although now the 500k size limit makes a bit more sense. I was trying to figure out how in the world I would create a 500k swf to read/display external images...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took a rough guess as to what size could accommodate up to 15 pictures embedded. I think that should be plenty given that it's not a large canvas anyway. If you really need to use external to do what you want, let me know and I'll check with Bigweb to see if we can work a way to display the final entries. I think in that case though, the total combined size of all the files would still have to be under 500k total.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. I'll try to get mine done in the next couple days to set the bar.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had the song "Slide Show" by Travis in my head since i saw this topic. Just glad it's a good song.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol when I hear slide show this is still the first thing that comes to mind.

I still have some really nice slides from college that used to work in one of those.

//And no, that is NOT my entry *lol
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
//And no, that is NOT my entry *lol

Just as well because it's the flash comp and i don't see anything flashy with that :D
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
neksus wrote:

Not quite sure I'm following you neksus. Unless you're thinking XML file and external images, I just assumed everyone would import their images into the library and use them embeded.

Well...it is much easier to make a static program to simply display the files we give it. It is much harder to make something that can be actually used as a drop-in slideshow program for other people.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have fond memories of watching slides with my family over the holidays, and having my grandpa and grandma argue over what year it is from or where they were, or what the neighbors names were. It gets pretty heated sometimes. My grandma hates it because my grandpa has slides of every single car he ever owned and he goes into great detail about them and she tells him "Oh Wayne! Nobody cares about your cars, move on!" Ah, memories...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
Well...it is much easier to make a static program to simply display the files we give it. It is much harder to make something that can be actually used as a drop-in slideshow program for other people.

Let's keep it easy this time. I understand what you have in mind but let's save that for a later comp after I figure out with Bigweb how to get all the required files in the right place on his server so we can display the entries. Since this is only the third Flash comp, let's keep it to a single flash file and perhaps an external AS file if really needed.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome :)
I can probably hard code 5 images in instead of writing script to work with any!
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

AHHHH!!! I have only 5 images on mine and it's 550x550, but no matter what i do to shorten/compress it, it still comes out to 658 KB.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA double click the image file in the library. Deselect "use default compression" and pick your own compression settings. Remember to hit test to see how brutal it will be. Do that for all the images since flash's image compression is actually pretty good.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy, you likely to take part in this? would be good to see some of your stuff as every one of your reply has been really good here on Ozzu.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah pending a few projects leaving my desk by the end of the month I am planning to kick one out.

BTW a free tour of my work is always available just ask :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, I forgot to take a video I needed for my entry. Hmmmmm....might have to pop into work for a few tomorrow to shoot it.
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

As easy as it gets... There's also a hidden "Scene 2" if you want to try to get to it (I forgot how to make links). :)

Well, here's nothing:
Attachments:
Attachments:
CA-SA_slideshow.zip

(190.56 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA what do you mean by "Hidden Scene 2"?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he means there's another scene we can watch, we just have to figure out how to initiate it...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm I keep getting notification of replies to this thread but can't seem to see anything past page 2...

[edit]apparently posting to the thread fixed it[edit]
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

and the repeating of posts as well... I can't see two posts that should be here :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 47 posts