Photography Competition #45: MACRO

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seriously, this is going to be a pain in the back side deciding which to vote for. This has to be about one of the best comps we've had in a while.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man I need to remember to get in on this one. I have the perfect shot I'll post when I get home tonight.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

whoa, nice one neksus :D but then your entries always are.....
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aw thanks celandine! Your entry is stellar!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hoping graphixboy gets in on time too.

These are all really good entries folks. One thing that I'm seeing is that we are seeming to be encouraging each other to not only take better photos, but also many seem to be stepping out of the box a bit.

However with that said, I think that I'm going to alter this topic title, and eliminate the part two part. I just looked over all of the competitions and there never was a "macro" photography competition. If there was I'm seriously blind. The closest I believe we got to a macro comp was a "texture" comp, which I don't classify as a macro comp per se.

Now this part I would like for everyone that has entered this competition to take with a grain of salt and with learning in mind. I want it to be known that I love every entry and every entry is really good. And I think the more we do this the better we are getting. However, I think I'd like to recommend that after this comp, there be another macro comp in the near future.

There is a difference between macro and closeups. I'm not suggesting that any of these entries be not considered because they are all so good. But there are a couple entries that are closeups and not macros.

Consider the wiki definition and scroll down for examples of macros
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography

Here's a pretty good article on Macro with some tips.
http://photo.net/learn/macro/

I'm only posting this so we all learn and improve. Not to put a damper on anyone's entry. That's why I'm saying lets do it again and do it better.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
There is a difference between macro and closeups.

Wikipedia wrote:
Macro photography is close-up photography.

:scratchhead:
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

And also...
http://photo.net/learn/macro/ wrote:
Taking close-up pictures of small things is called "macro photography."

What's the difference ATNO???

Sweet graphixboy... that is totally freaking awesome. You got my vote so far :iconthumbright:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well bogey what graphixboy just did was show you macro. All of the photos submitted are really close. Some are just closer than others or more apropriately some are just more macro than others.

And I think that's part of my point.
Quote:
The classical definition is that the image projected on the "film plane" (i.e., film or a digital sensor) is close to the same size as the subject. On 35 mm film (for example), the lens is typically optimized to focus sharply on a small area approaching the size of the film frame. Most 35mm format macro lenses achieve at least 1:2, that is to say, the image on the film is 1/2 the size of the object being photographed. Many 35mm macro lenses are 1:1, meaning the image on the film is the same size as the object being photographed. Another important distinction is that lenses designed for macro are usually at their sharpest at macro focus distances and are not quite as sharp at other focus distances.

Point in case, look at only the first page of this google result for macro photography and then check the google image results for close-up photography

They are "close" but there is a significant difference between macro and close-up.

Predominantly it's the lens used, the focal plane/focal point and how close you actually are. For example I was approximately 1/4 inch from the chess knight that I took. Hence my focal plane was extremely narrow.

//btw graphixboy, that is frigging awesome!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh! Understood ATNO. Thanks for taking your time to explain all this.

I guess my submittion would be a close-up since I have a regular camcorder and not those fancy cameras with changeable lenses...

I'm hoping to get one someday :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will say one thing for sure. Regardless of how I or anyone wants to define or interpret macro, every danged entry in this comp rocks. I also think it's going to be another very difficult one to vote on. There is really good quality in every photo submitted in this one.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you may be regarding my entry as close-up which i can appreciate. I would add though that regardless of the entry being closer the image is also enlarged quite considerably and while i am not magnifying it as much as others the photo is still macro.

I used a macro lens on the macro setting to get the shot and had i not used a macro lens on this shot the quality wouldn't have been nearly as good as it was. It would have been considerably out of focus (and not have the depth of field).

I see your point though.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually no SB. Yours met the definition of macro quite well.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Sweet graphixboy... that is totally freaking awesome. You got my vote so far :iconthumbright:
Cool thanks. That shot pretty much sums up my memories of a very cool place in Costa Rica.

Anyway since we're having this discussion, those of us with DSLRs really benefit from having the correct lens for a job (macro in this case). I know lens collections get really spendy if you just want to learn to use something or just have a specialty project, but most camera shops have a few rental lenses and I've rented from RentGlass.com. It sounds like we might do this comp again soon so I'd highly recommend getting your hands on a decent macro lens and seeing what a difference it makes. Just my $0.02
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fine...lol
The ring picture is still 1:1, but I think I would qualify it as a close-up instead of macro.
If you want macro...:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
Fine...lol
The ring picture is still 1:1, but I think I would qualify it as a close-up instead of macro.
If you want macro...:

Well, all said and done, I really enjoyed the ring picture, but now we're talking! THAT is a MACRO! lol awesome shot!

// there was a time early on I thought I'd have a chance for at least a few votes in this competition, but not any more. There's just too many good photos this time!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually still like the Knight :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's mine. I don't know how it would do but...

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe
Nice shout out to your work on the boxes!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Neksus, i think that's more of a close-up and not macro.

;) :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think we could safely accept all entries this time though - they are all "close" enough. neksus, can we assume yours is the moth and not the rings?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would loved to have seen someone here submit an entry with the lens flip technique i was talking about. I've done it before so i know what to expect, but it's nice to see what other people could do with this. Did anyone try it?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome entries WOW. Today is last day (EST) keep em coming guys!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Would loved to have seen someone here submit an entry with the lens flip technique i was talking about. I've done it before so i know what to expect, but it's nice to see what other people could do with this. Did anyone try it?

Just for you craig, I gave it a quick go with a 50mm lens inverted. The camera I'm using is a Kodak Z650. This is the "eye" from my chess night entry. Essentially the lens was 1/8 inch away. Definitely need a steady hand with that technique. (this is not my entry although it's definitely more "macro" than my official entry). I used the built in macro capability of my camera for the official version. Only way I could get that close was the flipped lens. Pretty cool trick and worth remembering.
Attachments:
100_0401.jpg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, focus wasn't great there but it's something you get the hang of after practice.

Thanks for sharing.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My late entry. I know SB won't be surprised that it is a cat picture. :lol:

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You sing the same songs every day Labrego.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Labrego must be campaigning for my vote, it was just a day or two ago that I fell in love with ATNO's calico cat.

Seriously, this is going to be the hardest one to vote for since I've been around. Excellence all across the board!
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
You sing the same songs every day Labrego.

I am not sure if that reply has some sarcasm on it, if it has I don't understand it *lol

It's ok, I do sing the same songs every time if you say so, sorry to bother you.

kc0tma wrote:
Labrego must be campaigning for my vote, it was just a day or two ago that I fell in love with ATNO's calico cat.

I love calico and siamese cats
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never take my posts as a dig or sarcastic criticism. I swear someday i'm gonna have to write a "understanding SB" instruction manual.

You know i love your car photos Luis! :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 70 posts