Photography Competition #51: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

The next topic is : Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Be creative!.

Rules: This is strictly a photography contest! No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans). Please avoid any text on the photograph, except at most a copyright statement, remember distractions like text can take away from the composition. Digital and film photography are both allowed. Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your user name (or as close to as possible if your user name has characters that are not allowed in file names)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image)

Length: Competition closes Wednesday July 1, 2009

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

YES! My jeep is my most prized possession, and the focal point of many an ozzu comp.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is mine. I think it looks better when it is viewed in Max size.
Attachments:
George L..gif

View in large.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great entry George very nice!! Keep them coming guys!!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Count me in on this one. From a local car show one bored weekend:
Attachments:
UPSGuy.jpg
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
I think it looks better when it is viewed in Max size.

Yeah, the freaky "line-graph" reflection along the hull stands out *much* better in full res. Run out in the back yard and take it again :shock:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh man! I know a 1957 Chevy when I see one!

//at least I hope that is a '57, thats going to be really embarrassing if it isn't, although I'm pretty sure it is because of the black rubber cone. 1955 had semi circle parking lights and the 1956 had rectangular lights.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, it was a '57. :) '56 was a lot more rounded on the front end and 58 went to a dual-headlight look. Definitely a unique (and great) look.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I normally go by the chrome and the fins on the back. '55 has the more square shaped chrome pieces on the back quarter panels, where '56 and '57 is rounder and smooth. Then the fins on the '57 are noticeably bigger then the '56. My dad always use to quiz me on what year cars were when we went to car shows when I was little.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice. I actually went to this one with my dad and granddad. We came across this '22 Model T. All original, one owner. Also had a display of tools he bought to work on the car when he got it. My granddad loved it - told me stories for a good 2 hours about learning to drive in one almost exactly like it.

Attachments:
IMG_2383.jpg

(NOT A SUBMISSION)

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of those real old model A's and T's would be fun to learn to drive, they aren't the normal clutch-brake-gas pedal arrangement like on modern cars, you would have your one foot that does one thing, the other does two things, one hand on the steering wheel, and the other doing two other things.

My great grandpa bought an old Willy's jeep right after WWII, one of the first civilian model jeeps. He kept it and used it on his farm for decades after that, my mom even has stories of riding through pastures in it, and him bringing it down the road to rescue them when they got their car stuck in some mud during a huge rainstorm. My grandpa gave it to my moms cousin before he died in 2001, and he drives it around sometimes but for the most part it stays in the garage. Oh man would I ever love to restore it back to show room condition, that would be freaking sweet. It would be extra special since it has been in my family since it was brand new, kind of like that Model T being a one owner.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
George L. wrote:
I think it looks better when it is viewed in Max size.

Yeah, the freaky "line-graph" reflection along the hull stands out *much* better in full res. Run out in the back yard and take it again :shock:

Can you use simple english? Sorry, I do not understand which "line-graph" reflection. The aircraft service center is not 'always' open for visits. We had some luck bumping in at that time, with the help of an airport manager.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

George, I think he was referring to the way you can see lines on the plane in the reflection. If you look right behind the door, you can see a series of vertical bright lines where it looks like the plane's panels were placed together. It's a nice effect that's unfortunately not as visible in the smaller version.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, I was looking at the whole picture. I failed to notice it until justnow. Thanks, UPSGuy. Thank you mk27.

Sorry, I have been a bit blunt this week.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

JEEP FUN HAPPY HAPPY! I'll have you know that this was a fun picture to get. My jeep is having some mechanical problems and bad things happen when I drive over 40 miles an hour and when I hit bumps or pot holes. The road out to this spot had so many pot holes, it was like the surface of the moon. I don't know what the mountain is, but the area is the valley with Martin Creek, near the Montana-Idaho border. This particular spot has ruins of an old water wheel that I assume was used to crush rocks for gold or silver prospecting.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just spent alot of time out at my car today and never thought to take any photographs of it. I had a good before and after job too i could have photographed.

Hopefully some things go to plan and i'll take a photo before comp ends.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
graphixboy.jpg

Generations

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No trains yet? If I were still living back in Stupidville North Platte Nebraska (thankfully I'm not!) I'd have pictures of the UPRR's Bailey Yards and their 1000+ train cars that pass through each hour.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Taken from the tiny window I had to squeeze through in the train's washroom

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a reminder for anyone that may want to still get something in - competition closes Wednesday!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613 that is cool, where is that?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, agreed, nice pic. The landscape is definitely unique. I almost didn't see the train, though. ;)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys. It was taken on a train ride up to Machu Picchu in Peru
http://machupicchu.orient-express.com/w ... a_home.jsp
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very cool, that is definantly one of the top adventure destinations on everybody's list.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I completely agree. Everyone must see it before they die. I'm going for my third time next year
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats really cool how Canadians travel so much compared to Americans. I was in Cardston AB a few years ago and I thought it was the coolest thing to see prices for flights to Cuba in the travel agency window. You don't see that in the US.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually kc0tma, in case you didn't know, flavah is originally from Peru.

I really want to get into this competition but not sure I'll have the chance to get the shot I want. btw, does a helicopter qualify as a plane? If so, if I time it right, I could actually get all three subjects in the same shot.

//bet you all are wondering how I could pull that off lol.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, I didn't know she was from Peru. Back in the town I use to live in in Nebraska there was a dude named Ron Snell who grew up in Peru, his parents were missionaries. He's got some cool stories and wrote a few books about his childhood, lots of cool stuff. I did a long canoe trip with him on the Dismal River in Nebraska last summer, and a few years before that we helped him with a west-to-east trip of the entire length of the Platte River in Nebraska that he did solo as a fund raiser for the homeless shelter he runs. He's a really neat guy.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I would give this whole competition thing a go with one of my favorite shots but I am not 100% sure it fits, if not no worries. Oh well here it is anyway.

Attachments:
cxlink.JPG
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly I think Jimena's entry is hard to beat, but here's one from me anyway. The train, helicopter, car combo didn't work. Just couldn't get a good enough angle to get all three at once.
Attachments:
atno.jpg

Train at Dawn
Copyright ATNO Productions 2009

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts