Photography Competition #53: PURPLE

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

The next topic is : Purple. Anything related to it. Be creative!.

Rules: This is strictly a photography contest! No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans). Please avoid any text on the photograph, except at most a copyright statement, remember distractions like text can take away from the composition. Digital and film photography are both allowed. Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your user name (or as close to as possible if your user name has characters that are not allowed in file names)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image)

Length: Competition closes Friday August 21, 2009

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wink wink, nudge nudge!

ps.
613flavah wrote:
You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Rules are made to be broken IMO.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Rules are made to be broken IMO.

Not that one - it's a photography competition, not a web search competition. Several of us enjoy getting out and finding a good picture or digging up that great shot from past trips or outings. It's about the finer points of photography, the interpretation, and the challenge of matching up skills. It's also about contributing to and being a part of the Ozzu gallery and maybe even gaining a little respect from your fellow forum members and friends. Besides that, the gallery is quite a page - I can get lost for a while in all that great work. It feels good to be a part of it & I wouldn't want to lose that to a collection of images from across the net. Sorry, but my vote is to DQ.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with UPSGuy. I generally turn a blind eye to things like images being a few pixels to large or a few KB too big, but the rule about having taken the photo yourself being broken defeats the entire purpose of the competition. :)
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhh... I'll be right back!

* CA-SA runs up to second floor, grabs camera, runs down stairs to main floor and outside, walks back in with a picture taken, and then falls down the stairs to his computer in the basement
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

So did you get sent to the ER? It's not real until you post it. ;)
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I have to agree with UPSGuy. I generally turn a blind eye to things like images being a few pixels to large or a few KB too big, but the rule about having taken the photo yourself being broken defeats the entire purpose of the competition. :)

Hey I totally apologize. If it's any consolation (I wasn't serious), that is a link, not an upload, so it's not like I'm squandering precious Ozzu resources ;) And this will almost certainly never happen again.

Anyway, my justification was that it is the 25th anniversary of Purple Rain. I missed this last night, which is where I got the image:

http://www.prospectpark.org/calendar/event/142763

It got raucous enough to make the radio news, no thanks to me.

I have a $5 camera tho, I think it is like 0.2megapx or something. If I see prince around, I will try and get a shot and enter the contest for real. :D

I figured maybe 613flavah or the new wife for fans. 25 years of purple rain is a real event. :mrgreen:
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
So did you get sent to the ER? It's not real until you post it. ;)

No, but i did manage to get this nice shot...

Attachments:
CA-SA_purple.jpg
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA wrote:
No, but i did manage to get this nice shot...

That is too beautiful DUDE!
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any purple pictures. :(

Unless.... (I used the Hue/Saturation tool - not allowed?)
Picture taken from the top of Coronet Peak in New Zealand
Attachments:
Ski Trip alex89.jpg
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans).

It's border line, but hue/saturation is considered part of "levels". I would have to interpret that as OK, but it is pushing it a bit.

nice shot regardless.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27, if it is any consolation i actually read your first joke entry as exactly that - a joke. I knew you were not being serious and in a way i am going to have to stand up against my fellow moderators and say that i actually don't think that their replies were said in the tone they probably should have.

Regarding your entries alex89, i think mainly because you have used photoshop to adjust the tones and the photograph was not submitted as it was i'd be inclined to exclude that entry. However, just moments before seeing your entry i was thinking to myself that if i was CA/SA i would have played about with the tones, levels and hue a little bit to emphasise the colour. So, i would be a hypocrite to deny your entry. I think it's best we leave it up to 613flavah to decide on whether it's accepted.

I should also add that i am a massive fan of anything from New Zealand as i love the country so much, so that's another reason i am happy to see it accepted :lol:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i actually don't think that their replies were said in the tone they probably should have

*Navigates to Start > Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab > Adjust Tone and recalibrates*

I hate when my keyboard gets out of tune and I start typing in high tones *sigh*
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Regarding your entries alex89, i think mainly because you have used photoshop to adjust the tones and the photograph was not submitted as it was i'd be inclined to exclude that entry. However, just moments before seeing your entry i was thinking to myself that if i was CA/SA i would have played about with the tones, levels and hue a little bit to emphasise the colour. So, i would be a hypocrite to deny your entry. I think it's best we leave it up to 613flavah to decide on whether it's accepted.

Only one trick there... all the modifications seen in my picture (with the exception of resizing) were done with camera settings before I took the shot.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA wrote:
all the modifications seen in my picture (with the exception of resizing) were done with camera settings before I took the shot.

I wish my camera had settings. It has an on/off button and a "take pretty photo" button. I should get a DSLR.

I don't mind if you don't accept mine - it seems fair to people who took photos of actually purple things. Although it's nice to be able to share the view from above the clouds.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We'll let flavah have the final say.

I think if it is rejected, though, that we need to make a clearer definition of
Quote:
No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans).

To me, it was a minor level change to the hue and saturation. Many times on my photos, I'll simply hit auto-levels which is pretty all encompassing.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if CA-SA can use settings on his bleeding edge prototype camera loaned out by R&D, then I don't see what's wrong with a little "hue".

I didn't use any hue on this tho, just contrast and and some "sharpen" (Oyster Bay Lagoon, Long Island):
Attachments:
purpleoyster.jpg
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
Well, if CA-SA can use settings on his bleeding edge prototype camera loaned out by R&D, then I don't see what's wrong with a little "hue".

I didn't use any hue on this tho, just contrast and and some "sharpen" (Oyster Bay Lagoon, Long Island):

8) I only wish it were bleeding edge... then I could've submitted some nice lightning shots that are just too hard for me to take with my camera right now. My camera's only a $400 Sony
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA wrote:
My camera's only a $400 Sony

My camera was, honest to god, $5 brand new and is made by someone named "INNOVAGE". It has two buttons, holds 20 jpgs at max resolution and is 1.5" x 2" x 0.5". Back before the days of digital, tho, I had a nice big SLR that I loved.

Wanna trade? :|

PS. Do they still make "polarizing filters" for DSLR cameras or can you do that with the electronics?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
digitalMedia.jpg
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to follow with a post similar to two prior submissions, but I've got a huge load at work this week and it looks like people are going to go nuts with adjustments anyways, so here it is.
Attachments:
upsguy.jpg
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
PS. Do they still make "polarizing filters" for DSLR cameras or can you do that with the electronics?

Yes, they still make them, and they're still used quite often AFAIK - esp. circular polarizers.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:scratchhead: I didn't do any adjustments to mine.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
:scratchhead: I didn't do any adjustments to mine.

Sorry, dM, that wasn't aimed at any one person in particular. Especially not you - we just got you back! ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OH! Hahaha. Apparently, I'm a little rusty. I totally misread what you posted.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Purple flowers.
Attachments:
tannas.jpg
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's mine:
Attachments:
613flavah.jpg
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA wrote:
* CA-SA runs up to second floor, grabs camera, runs down stairs to main floor and outside, walks back in with a picture taken, and then falls down the stairs to his computer in the basement

If you got a big gnarly purple bruise and taken a picture that would have gotten my vote just out of sympathy!
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh no...

Did I just start a trend, that everyone has to one-up me on purple flowers?

:o
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

CA-SA wrote:
Oh no...

Did I just start a trend, that everyone has to one-up me on purple flowers?

:o

Sorry... only think purple I have is flowers! :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 55 posts