Photography Competition #52: The Beach

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alex, you are reminding me of what i should have done while i was in Australia. I'd have loved to have done that.

Perth is very expensive though and driving through the heart of the country is generally not advised by many people if you are unprepared. Too big a risk and too much money required to do it, however if you have the money (which i guess you do living in Perth) and the time then i'd say go for it!

Such a beautiful country for you not to do it!
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If i recall correctly you mentioned you were from New York?

I guess it is interesting when a low budget movie is released in my home city (where i am from) and is being viewed by people all over the world. Funny thing is, i've never heard of it :lol:

Yeah, a couple of friends wanted to rent a movie a while back, and I had just been watching that "Planet Earth" series on DVD, so when I saw the cover and read "low budget Scottish sci-fi" it was pretty much a done deal and worth it. They did a "making of" doc for the DVD which the guys are quite funny/strange. Apparently they started shooting film in their early teens and this is their first feature. The budget probably did not include the CGI stuff they did themselves, which took quite a few months. It does not overpower the movie tho, it is still very stark and centered on the story/actors.

I've never been to Scotland but my mom's from Nottinghamshire and about half her friends while I was growing up were Scottish, so for that reason I feel a little warm to the place I guess.

£8.000 GBP! Still more money than I've got but pretty inspiring that you could A) buy a newish sub-compact car; or B) make a low budget sci-fi film that obviously got global distribution -- I found it in a DVD rental machine at the back of a grocery store right along with all of Hollywood's latest, *not* anywhere at all obscure.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Alex, you are reminding me of what i should have done while i was in Australia. I'd have loved to have done that.

Perth is very expensive though and driving through the heart of the country is generally not advised by many people if you are unprepared. Too big a risk and too much money required to do it, however if you have the money (which i guess you do living in Perth) and the time then i'd say go for it!

Such a beautiful country for you not to do it!

Exactly my thoughts.

I've got uni holidays from mid november to february and a mate wants to see his family over east and get something done to his car over there. It's the perfect opportunity for an adventure :). Will be taking several cars and probably 4 or so mates, and driven across before with parents. So we should have a great time.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

2-Story Sand Castle taken at Ruby Beach in Washington State.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tannas, unfortunately this entry was not accepted because it broke a number of the competition rules.

There is stil time to fix the entry so it is accepted for this competition.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My entry. The beautiful beach of Cancun (Caribbean Ocean) from a hotel balcony. Wish I could go back there.

Attachments:
Labrego.JPG
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
My entry. The beautiful beach of Cancun (Caribbean Ocean) from a hotel balcony. Wish I could go back there.

I wish I could go anywhere like that... I'm in the middle of nowhere (well, America), I'm in Kansas.

I have some beach pictures from the time I went to Michigan... let me dig something up...

Never mind. Can't find them. What a disappointment :(
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey - you should look into cruises to the Bahamas. Tickets can be had for less than $200 for weekend trips. It's a really nice experience! I've been a few times, so if you are interested, I could help you get something together.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Bogey - you should look into cruises to the Bahamas. Tickets can be had for less than $200 for weekend trips. It's a really nice experience! I've been a few times, so if you are interested, I could help you get something together.

Maybe later once I get some money first :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple hundred bucks - this used to be my college vacation trip. Food's included. Doesn't get much better. ;) When you're ready, hit me up.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my entry. From our trip to Cuba this past April.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The sand is always so white and the water so blue on tropical beaches, thats cool.
  • maria luisa
  • Born
  • Born
  • maria luisa

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello I would like to participate in the photography forum :D
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...these are nice pics - almost not sure to submit mine - we'll see
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

maria luisa wrote:
hello I would like to participate in the photography forum :D

Than post a pic... everybody is welcome :D
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
The sand is always so white and the water so blue on tropical beaches, thats cool.

That's because it's not really sand per se, it's coral dust. Hence why it doesn't hurt to walk on it when it's scorching hot outside unlike regular sand
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rcs74 wrote:
Hmmm...these are nice pics - almost not sure to submit mine - we'll see

Same here. Me and my sister and parents went to Hawaii in 1998 and got some good beach pictures, but they are all in photo albums at my parents house 1100 miles away. And all the beaches around where I live are rocky with big pine trees right out to the water. I think it is time for a creative twist.....
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
kc0tma wrote:

That's because it's not really sand per se, it's coral dust. Hence why it doesn't hurt to walk on it when it's scorching hot outside unlike regular sand

I wonder if anyone's ever thought about making some sort of silicon out of coral dust. :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could be the first to try :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:

When we did our trip to Hawaii I thought it was interesting that most of the sand there actually is shipped in from other beaches around the world, which means that a lot of the beaches in Hawaii are fake. My parents went again a few years ago and went to the big island and visited a couple black sand beaches and even one on another island where the sand was actually green.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I've fixed my image and it is attached.
Attachments:
tannas.jpg

2-Story Sand Castle on Ruby Beach

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
...even one on another island where the sand was actually green.

I think I know the one you mean.

(excuse the poor 'shoop, I start uni in 20 minutes)
Attachments:
greenbeach.jpg
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ewwwwww!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
When we did our trip to Hawaii I thought it was interesting that most of the sand there actually is shipped in from other beaches around the world, which means that a lot of the beaches in Hawaii are fake. My parents went again a few years ago and went to the big island and visited a couple black sand beaches and even one on another island where the sand was actually green.

Didn't know that about Hawaii but that just gives me another reason to never want to go there! I don't know about green sand, but the black sandy beaches are caused by the neighbouring volcano which consists of tiny fragments of lava. One example is the gorgeous island of St Lucia.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

This shot is in Golf Del Sur as we walked along the beach,

Lovely images so far. Lurker is your pic Asia it looks a bit like it?

:mrgreen:
Attachments:
suzie2.jpg
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
I don't know about green sand, but the black sandy beaches are caused by the neighbouring volcano which consists of tiny fragments of lava. One example is the gorgeous island of St Lucia.

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon there in St Lucia this last December I don't recall any black sand, I wonder if they ship in sand there too. That island is very pretty and has some high mountain peaks, but I don't recall ever seeing black sand anywhere (at least where we went).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got pics of the black sand beaches. I'll try to grab a few tonight and get them up.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
Didn't know that about Hawaii but that just gives me another reason to never want to go there!

When we went in '98 the 4th of July was right smack dab in the middle of our time there, so the place was ridiculously crowded and that was kind of a turn off for me. A few years back I was in a little town called Cardston in Alberta CA and walking around downtown I saw a travel agency advertising travel packages to Cuba. I thought that was really cool because you don't see that anywhere in the US. Americans really are sheltered when it comes to world view.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never thought i'd see the day where i saw black sand beaches. There are absolutely loads of them in New Zealand's south island due to the volcano's they have in that area.

Interesting to see though.
  • GTv
  • GTv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
GTv.jpg

I hope you like this picture.
GT von

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 70 posts