Photography Competition #52: The Beach

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

The next topic is : The Beach. Anything related to it. Ocean, waves, sunbathers, sand, sandcastles. Be creative!.

Rules: This is strictly a photography contest! No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans). Please avoid any text on the photograph, except at most a copyright statement, remember distractions like text can take away from the composition. Digital and film photography are both allowed. Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your user name (or as close to as possible if your user name has characters that are not allowed in file names)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image)

Length: Competition closes Wednesday July 29, 2009

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man I wish I had the chance to go to the beach and get some shots. God I miss it. All my beach photos are on old film photos (buried in a closet somewhere), nothing current, and not going to see the ocean anytime soon *pout*.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Took this shot during my honeymoon last summer. I shared some more shots from the trip here if anyone would like to have a look.
Attachments:
upsguy.jpg
  • elektric
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks. My entry...

Good luck to all.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sighs. I gotta quit looking at this thread. It's making me "home sick"
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live half a block from Rockaway Beach in NYC. I can actually hear the sound of 10000 teenage bikinis right now.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera worth using. How 'bout a nice haiku or limerick?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If only the weather here would pick up a bit and i had the time off to go to a beach near here that's in my opinion one of the best in Scotland.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, Mexico's beaches look nice.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If only the weather here would pick up a bit and i had the time off to go to a beach near here that's in my opinion one of the best in Scotland.

If it is anywhere near where they filmed that movie "The Planet" you must be right. Except there was no water in that movie, it was all dunes.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never heard of the movie, was that filmed in Scotland? only information i have of it was that it is a Scandinavian production which to me suggests it was filmed somewhere around Scandinavia.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I think about it but I am going to a lake this weekend. hmmmmmmmm
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
...was that filmed in Scotland?

Train Spotting was, saw that on IFC or Sundance or some other channel a while back. Was a good movie.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Yes, filmed in the same city i reside. Be interested to hear if you understood what they said in that movie.

Believe it or not i never saw Trainspotting until i was in Australia, and then once again when i was in New Zealand.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just got back from Australia. This is the perfect perfect photo comp for me...

Attachments:
graphixboy.jpg
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Already some great submissions. I like where this one's going. :) Nice shot gb. The colors are the perfect contrast to the surroundings.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

elektric: I like the shot. Was it taken from the air? I noticed the watermark - are you this Mereno, by chance?
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Man I wish I had the chance to go to the beach and get some shots. God I miss it. All my beach photos are on old film photos (buried in a closet somewhere), nothing current, and not going to see the ocean anytime soon *pout*.

I definitely agree with you... stuck here inland, only have film photos of the beach and all of those are packed away somewhere. :(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Yes, filmed in the same city i reside. Be interested to hear if you understood what they said in that movie.

I got some of what they were saying. That guy that always beats people up was the hardest to understand, and the couple of times where there were subtitles in the movie really helped.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aw, boo. Subtitles are boring, not that i really need them anyway.

We don't all sound like that by the way.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should really wait to enter until I get out to Clearwater Beach again, maybe on the pier. I'll probably forget to bring my camera though so I better just enter now. :)

Some really nice entries so far btw. :D

Attachments:
joebert-1.jpg

Female Fiddler Crab at Fort Desoto Florida

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, Mauritius.

Some other daylight shots, but this has to be my favourite. Wish we could do multiple submissions :(
Attachments:
alex89 beach mauritius.jpg
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very nice picture Alex, I really like it :D
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Bogey. You don't have any photos of beaches?

graphixboy wrote:
Just got back from Australia.

Where abouts is that? Looks lovely.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its Double Island in front of Palm Cove north of Cairns.

Glad you like the shot. I missed seeing dolphins that the rest of the group saw because I was busy taking a photo of the kayaks :)
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm driving from Perth (home) to Melbourne at the end of the year for a holiday, I might take a little detour. If I end up going past I'll let you know how it goes. :) Should make for an interesting road trip
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:
I'm driving from Perth (home) to Melbourne at the end of the year for a holiday, I might take a little detour. If I end up going past I'll let you know how it goes. :) Should make for an interesting road trip

How long a drive is that? Sounds like it might take a while.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:

Eh? that's one heck of a detour.

For those unfamiliar with Australia i'll give you an idea on how many miles Alex is suggesting he does to get home from Perth to Melbourne via Cairns.

According to Google Maps it would be 4350 miles or 7468km's. If he was to drive from Perth to Melbourne then it would be 1864 miles or 3,429km's. :lol:

A bit of a detour eh?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Never heard of the movie, was that filmed in Scotland? only information i have of it was that it is a Scandinavian production which to me suggests it was filmed somewhere around Scandinavia.

Must have found the wrong film. This was for sure filmed in Scotland by
Quote:
Stirton Productions: founded in 2003, is a privately owned digital film company based in Aberdeen, Scotland. The company produces original screenplays and features, as well as documentaries, corporate videos and “on-demand” digital effects.

It is a very low budget* sci-fi flick so I of course assumed everyone in Scotland would know it well!

It came out while BBC was airing that (very nice) mega doc "Planet Earth". It is not a spoof of that at all, but the poster for it definitely was.

*like, according to this article, £8.000 GBP! I know it was shot in < 2 weeks. It stars (the Scottish) Mike Mitchell, who was WFF "Mr. Universe" 2003-6. It's a lot of fun, I highly recommend it; kind of "existential" in the way Sergio Leone's spagetti westerns are. They did make a profit, so maybe there will be another one, hopefully this time set in an abandoned castle instead of out in the dunes :shock:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i recall correctly you mentioned you were from New York?

I guess it is interesting when a low budget movie is released in my home city (where i am from) and is being viewed by people all over the world. Funny thing is, i've never heard of it :lol:
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the overall plan: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 275391&z=5

A total of 11,355 km which should take about 5 days 22 hours. Should be a fun trip.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 70 posts