Photography Competition #52: The Beach

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

The next topic is : The Beach. Anything related to it. Ocean, waves, sunbathers, sand, sandcastles. Be creative!.

Rules: This is strictly a photography contest! No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans). Please avoid any text on the photograph, except at most a copyright statement, remember distractions like text can take away from the composition. Digital and film photography are both allowed. Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your user name (or as close to as possible if your user name has characters that are not allowed in file names)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image)

Length: Competition closes Wednesday July 29, 2009

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man I wish I had the chance to go to the beach and get some shots. God I miss it. All my beach photos are on old film photos (buried in a closet somewhere), nothing current, and not going to see the ocean anytime soon *pout*.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Took this shot during my honeymoon last summer. I shared some more shots from the trip here if anyone would like to have a look.
Attachments:
upsguy.jpg
  • elektric
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks. My entry...

Good luck to all.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sighs. I gotta quit looking at this thread. It's making me "home sick"
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live half a block from Rockaway Beach in NYC. I can actually hear the sound of 10000 teenage bikinis right now.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera worth using. How 'bout a nice haiku or limerick?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If only the weather here would pick up a bit and i had the time off to go to a beach near here that's in my opinion one of the best in Scotland.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, Mexico's beaches look nice.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If only the weather here would pick up a bit and i had the time off to go to a beach near here that's in my opinion one of the best in Scotland.

If it is anywhere near where they filmed that movie "The Planet" you must be right. Except there was no water in that movie, it was all dunes.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never heard of the movie, was that filmed in Scotland? only information i have of it was that it is a Scandinavian production which to me suggests it was filmed somewhere around Scandinavia.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I think about it but I am going to a lake this weekend. hmmmmmmmm
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
...was that filmed in Scotland?

Train Spotting was, saw that on IFC or Sundance or some other channel a while back. Was a good movie.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Yes, filmed in the same city i reside. Be interested to hear if you understood what they said in that movie.

Believe it or not i never saw Trainspotting until i was in Australia, and then once again when i was in New Zealand.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just got back from Australia. This is the perfect perfect photo comp for me...

Attachments:
graphixboy.jpg
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Already some great submissions. I like where this one's going. :) Nice shot gb. The colors are the perfect contrast to the surroundings.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

elektric: I like the shot. Was it taken from the air? I noticed the watermark - are you this Mereno, by chance?
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Man I wish I had the chance to go to the beach and get some shots. God I miss it. All my beach photos are on old film photos (buried in a closet somewhere), nothing current, and not going to see the ocean anytime soon *pout*.

I definitely agree with you... stuck here inland, only have film photos of the beach and all of those are packed away somewhere. :(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Yes, filmed in the same city i reside. Be interested to hear if you understood what they said in that movie.

I got some of what they were saying. That guy that always beats people up was the hardest to understand, and the couple of times where there were subtitles in the movie really helped.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aw, boo. Subtitles are boring, not that i really need them anyway.

We don't all sound like that by the way.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should really wait to enter until I get out to Clearwater Beach again, maybe on the pier. I'll probably forget to bring my camera though so I better just enter now. :)

Some really nice entries so far btw. :D

Attachments:
joebert-1.jpg

Female Fiddler Crab at Fort Desoto Florida

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, Mauritius.

Some other daylight shots, but this has to be my favourite. Wish we could do multiple submissions :(
Attachments:
alex89 beach mauritius.jpg
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very nice picture Alex, I really like it :D
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Bogey. You don't have any photos of beaches?

graphixboy wrote:
Just got back from Australia.

Where abouts is that? Looks lovely.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its Double Island in front of Palm Cove north of Cairns.

Glad you like the shot. I missed seeing dolphins that the rest of the group saw because I was busy taking a photo of the kayaks :)
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm driving from Perth (home) to Melbourne at the end of the year for a holiday, I might take a little detour. If I end up going past I'll let you know how it goes. :) Should make for an interesting road trip
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:
I'm driving from Perth (home) to Melbourne at the end of the year for a holiday, I might take a little detour. If I end up going past I'll let you know how it goes. :) Should make for an interesting road trip

How long a drive is that? Sounds like it might take a while.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:

Eh? that's one heck of a detour.

For those unfamiliar with Australia i'll give you an idea on how many miles Alex is suggesting he does to get home from Perth to Melbourne via Cairns.

According to Google Maps it would be 4350 miles or 7468km's. If he was to drive from Perth to Melbourne then it would be 1864 miles or 3,429km's. :lol:

A bit of a detour eh?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Never heard of the movie, was that filmed in Scotland? only information i have of it was that it is a Scandinavian production which to me suggests it was filmed somewhere around Scandinavia.

Must have found the wrong film. This was for sure filmed in Scotland by
Quote:
Stirton Productions: founded in 2003, is a privately owned digital film company based in Aberdeen, Scotland. The company produces original screenplays and features, as well as documentaries, corporate videos and “on-demand” digital effects.

It is a very low budget* sci-fi flick so I of course assumed everyone in Scotland would know it well!

It came out while BBC was airing that (very nice) mega doc "Planet Earth". It is not a spoof of that at all, but the poster for it definitely was.

*like, according to this article, £8.000 GBP! I know it was shot in < 2 weeks. It stars (the Scottish) Mike Mitchell, who was WFF "Mr. Universe" 2003-6. It's a lot of fun, I highly recommend it; kind of "existential" in the way Sergio Leone's spagetti westerns are. They did make a profit, so maybe there will be another one, hopefully this time set in an abandoned castle instead of out in the dunes :shock:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i recall correctly you mentioned you were from New York?

I guess it is interesting when a low budget movie is released in my home city (where i am from) and is being viewed by people all over the world. Funny thing is, i've never heard of it :lol:
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the overall plan: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 275391&z=5

A total of 11,355 km which should take about 5 days 22 hours. Should be a fun trip.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alex, you are reminding me of what i should have done while i was in Australia. I'd have loved to have done that.

Perth is very expensive though and driving through the heart of the country is generally not advised by many people if you are unprepared. Too big a risk and too much money required to do it, however if you have the money (which i guess you do living in Perth) and the time then i'd say go for it!

Such a beautiful country for you not to do it!
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If i recall correctly you mentioned you were from New York?

I guess it is interesting when a low budget movie is released in my home city (where i am from) and is being viewed by people all over the world. Funny thing is, i've never heard of it :lol:

Yeah, a couple of friends wanted to rent a movie a while back, and I had just been watching that "Planet Earth" series on DVD, so when I saw the cover and read "low budget Scottish sci-fi" it was pretty much a done deal and worth it. They did a "making of" doc for the DVD which the guys are quite funny/strange. Apparently they started shooting film in their early teens and this is their first feature. The budget probably did not include the CGI stuff they did themselves, which took quite a few months. It does not overpower the movie tho, it is still very stark and centered on the story/actors.

I've never been to Scotland but my mom's from Nottinghamshire and about half her friends while I was growing up were Scottish, so for that reason I feel a little warm to the place I guess.

£8.000 GBP! Still more money than I've got but pretty inspiring that you could A) buy a newish sub-compact car; or B) make a low budget sci-fi film that obviously got global distribution -- I found it in a DVD rental machine at the back of a grocery store right along with all of Hollywood's latest, *not* anywhere at all obscure.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Alex, you are reminding me of what i should have done while i was in Australia. I'd have loved to have done that.

Perth is very expensive though and driving through the heart of the country is generally not advised by many people if you are unprepared. Too big a risk and too much money required to do it, however if you have the money (which i guess you do living in Perth) and the time then i'd say go for it!

Such a beautiful country for you not to do it!

Exactly my thoughts.

I've got uni holidays from mid november to february and a mate wants to see his family over east and get something done to his car over there. It's the perfect opportunity for an adventure :). Will be taking several cars and probably 4 or so mates, and driven across before with parents. So we should have a great time.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

2-Story Sand Castle taken at Ruby Beach in Washington State.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tannas, unfortunately this entry was not accepted because it broke a number of the competition rules.

There is stil time to fix the entry so it is accepted for this competition.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My entry. The beautiful beach of Cancun (Caribbean Ocean) from a hotel balcony. Wish I could go back there.

Attachments:
Labrego.JPG
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
My entry. The beautiful beach of Cancun (Caribbean Ocean) from a hotel balcony. Wish I could go back there.

I wish I could go anywhere like that... I'm in the middle of nowhere (well, America), I'm in Kansas.

I have some beach pictures from the time I went to Michigan... let me dig something up...

Never mind. Can't find them. What a disappointment :(
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey - you should look into cruises to the Bahamas. Tickets can be had for less than $200 for weekend trips. It's a really nice experience! I've been a few times, so if you are interested, I could help you get something together.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Bogey - you should look into cruises to the Bahamas. Tickets can be had for less than $200 for weekend trips. It's a really nice experience! I've been a few times, so if you are interested, I could help you get something together.

Maybe later once I get some money first :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple hundred bucks - this used to be my college vacation trip. Food's included. Doesn't get much better. ;) When you're ready, hit me up.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my entry. From our trip to Cuba this past April.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The sand is always so white and the water so blue on tropical beaches, thats cool.
  • maria luisa
  • Born
  • Born
  • maria luisa

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello I would like to participate in the photography forum :D
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...these are nice pics - almost not sure to submit mine - we'll see
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

maria luisa wrote:
hello I would like to participate in the photography forum :D

Than post a pic... everybody is welcome :D
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
The sand is always so white and the water so blue on tropical beaches, thats cool.

That's because it's not really sand per se, it's coral dust. Hence why it doesn't hurt to walk on it when it's scorching hot outside unlike regular sand
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rcs74 wrote:
Hmmm...these are nice pics - almost not sure to submit mine - we'll see

Same here. Me and my sister and parents went to Hawaii in 1998 and got some good beach pictures, but they are all in photo albums at my parents house 1100 miles away. And all the beaches around where I live are rocky with big pine trees right out to the water. I think it is time for a creative twist.....
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
kc0tma wrote:

That's because it's not really sand per se, it's coral dust. Hence why it doesn't hurt to walk on it when it's scorching hot outside unlike regular sand

I wonder if anyone's ever thought about making some sort of silicon out of coral dust. :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could be the first to try :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:

When we did our trip to Hawaii I thought it was interesting that most of the sand there actually is shipped in from other beaches around the world, which means that a lot of the beaches in Hawaii are fake. My parents went again a few years ago and went to the big island and visited a couple black sand beaches and even one on another island where the sand was actually green.
  • tannas
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I've fixed my image and it is attached.
Attachments:
tannas.jpg

2-Story Sand Castle on Ruby Beach

• alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
...even one on another island where the sand was actually green.

I think I know the one you mean.

(excuse the poor 'shoop, I start uni in 20 minutes)
Attachments:
greenbeach.jpg
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ewwwwww!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
When we did our trip to Hawaii I thought it was interesting that most of the sand there actually is shipped in from other beaches around the world, which means that a lot of the beaches in Hawaii are fake. My parents went again a few years ago and went to the big island and visited a couple black sand beaches and even one on another island where the sand was actually green.

Didn't know that about Hawaii but that just gives me another reason to never want to go there! I don't know about green sand, but the black sandy beaches are caused by the neighbouring volcano which consists of tiny fragments of lava. One example is the gorgeous island of St Lucia.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

This shot is in Golf Del Sur as we walked along the beach,

Lovely images so far. Lurker is your pic Asia it looks a bit like it?

:mrgreen:
Attachments:
suzie2.jpg
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
I don't know about green sand, but the black sandy beaches are caused by the neighbouring volcano which consists of tiny fragments of lava. One example is the gorgeous island of St Lucia.

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon there in St Lucia this last December I don't recall any black sand, I wonder if they ship in sand there too. That island is very pretty and has some high mountain peaks, but I don't recall ever seeing black sand anywhere (at least where we went).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got pics of the black sand beaches. I'll try to grab a few tonight and get them up.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
Didn't know that about Hawaii but that just gives me another reason to never want to go there!

When we went in '98 the 4th of July was right smack dab in the middle of our time there, so the place was ridiculously crowded and that was kind of a turn off for me. A few years back I was in a little town called Cardston in Alberta CA and walking around downtown I saw a travel agency advertising travel packages to Cuba. I thought that was really cool because you don't see that anywhere in the US. Americans really are sheltered when it comes to world view.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never thought i'd see the day where i saw black sand beaches. There are absolutely loads of them in New Zealand's south island due to the volcano's they have in that area.

Interesting to see though.
  • GTv
  • GTv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
GTv.jpg

I hope you like this picture.
GT von
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT von,

That's a nice pic. A friendly reminder to read the submittal rules in the OP and review your image so that you don't get disqualified. It's a good picture, I would hate to see you DQ'ed.
  • elektric
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
elektric: I like the shot. Was it taken from the air? I noticed the watermark - are you this Mereno, by chance?

No, no that moreno.... Another Moreno ,,, I had to take the parasailing for that... It was really cool. The guy from the boat told me, I am not responsible if you take your camera with you,,, we could lost speed and you have to "touch" the water... But it was worth the risk...

Greetings..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to see you taking part in the competitions again Elekrrik.

All the entries so far are really good. It's going to be an interesting and tricky poll.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oy, still another week to go, too.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are black sand beaches in St Lucia, maybe it's only the beaches close to the volcano though? I've seen photos and ppl have told me.

As for seeing travel to Cuba from Hawaii, it's probably for non-US citizens who visit Hawaii. You guys aren't allowed to go from US soil. At least for now
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Back in the days when those restrictions and the Cuban Embargo or whatever it is called were put in place Cuba posed a threat to the US, but that policy is old and not applicable any more. We've got more important things to worry about than Cuban cigars these days.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
There are black sand beaches in St Lucia, maybe it's only the beaches close to the volcano though? I've seen photos and ppl have told me.

I just looked it up and found this:

http://www.mystlucia.org/info_htm/beaches.htm

Quote:
Because of St. Lucia's geography, there are black volcanic sandy beaches as well as mile-long white sandy stretches.

and the interesting part is it looks like they also move sand around there to cover the black sand:

Quote:
The Hilton imported fine white sand to cover the black sand on their beach that can make the water cloudy, but it is a most beautiful bay.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool!

back on subject one more day guys!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live on a lake and I couldn't even get a picture to submit...I'm such a loser. I was going to go to this lake and get a half decent sunset picture but thats kind of an all day project and I've been busy every weekend during this comp. *%@#$&^%*!!!!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

comp is now over, look for the poll shortly. Wonderful entries!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 70 posts