Photography Competition #29: Your Town

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy!

The next topic is : Your Town. Anything that distinguishes your town from the others.

Rules: This is strictly a photography contest! No photo chopping, but contrast, brightness, levels and other minor touch-ups (healing tool will be allowed for film and print scans). Please avoid any text on the photograph, except at most a copyright statement, remember distractions like text can take away from the composition. Digital and film photography are both allowed. Only one submission per user will be allowed.

You MUST have taken the image yourself.

Max size dimension: 640px (including border)
Max file size: 150kb
File name: Please name your entry the same as your username (or as close to as possible if your username has characters that are not allowed in file names)
(Please ensure your entry meets the above before entering your image)

Length: Competition closes Monday February 26, 2007

Voting lasts five days after close of competition.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

can i make it a link to the full sized version?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, but you can't edit your posts in this forum. Just go ahead and post the link. Be nice to see the bigger picture.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is an interesting topic!....i like it

time to put my creativity to the test.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yea..i kind of noticed the lack of an 'edit' button after i posted.. :]

:shrug: here u go http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/anarchy85/100_3694.jpg
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

My entry is 640x480 and 116KB.
Full size image is 1024x768 and 180KB.
http://paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/the_lake/PB230777-hirez.jpg
The image is of Pine Lake in West Bloomfield, MI.

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couple of good entries already. Well done.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome entries. For the next entries, could you mention what the name of your town is?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My back yard from a couple moments ago. Six inches of snow already and expecting close to another foot by tomorrow night. It's snowing now which is why the picture looks so dreary. There's a few houses and mobile homes around but not many. Mostly farmland. I love it! New Galilee PA

//Thinking this should have been a nature competition. Doesn't anyone live in a city? (I'm just north of Pittsburgh but don't actually live in Pittsburgh.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

btw CC nice to see you again and in the comps! Great pic but I know you didn't just step out your door and take that today. You gotta have more snow than me!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was going to do a similar picture when I got home ATNO. It isn't snowing in DC but an hour north where I live it has snowed all day long.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
awesome entries. For the next entries, could you mention what the name of your town is?

yea i noticed i forgot that too =\ lol you guys really need an edit button on non-pictured posts or something
but mine's Muskegon, MI - Lake Michigan
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll change your original post to include the location AnarchY SI.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
btw CC nice to see you again and in the comps! Great pic but I know you didn't just step out your door and take that today. You gotta have more snow than me!
Thanks, I'd been getting e-mail notices of the photo comps and decided that an image I took a month or so ago, fit the bill as well as any I could take.

We hadn't had much in the way of snow until yesterday (02-13-07) when we had 6"-12" of the stuff, with lots of whiteout spots....quite cold, too ( 9°F w/ wind-chill down to -1°F), and it looks like we're getting more tonight :shock:

How are things with you?
Staying out of trouble? :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a feeling the crackheads aren't going to take too kindly to me out there taking pictures of them tonite, but I'll try ! :lol:
  • CA-SA
  • Busy Student
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Under the giant stack of papers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Michigan weather has been sooo much fun so far this year, hasn't it? I live in Rochester, MI. We had Feb. 5-6 off from school just because the windshield was below -2° F and yesterday off because of the snowstorm the night before.

I will be posting my picture soon.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

we've only had 1 day we were closed because of snow (the 5th) but i'm in college & they like HATE closing. lol but it was dumb bc the 6th EVERY high school in the county was closed. i was quite unhappy abt that.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am going to do something called the "tar ponds".
this is what it is..:
One hundred years of steel and coke production left more than a million tonnes of contaminated soil and sediment in Sydney.

Contamination centres on four sites around the former steel mill: the Tar Ponds themselves, the former Coke Ovens property, an old dump uphill from the Coke Ovens, and a stream that carried contaminants from the Coke Ovens to the Tar Ponds.

Almost all the contaminants come from coal. They were produced during the 88 years the Sydney Coke Ovens turned coal into coke, a key ingredient in steel production.
------------------------------------------------
if you want to read up on more of what it is here is the link http://www.tarpondscleanup.ca
i will post a photo soon as i get a chance(but i think it may be frozen)

it smells really really bad and the water is tar like and looks like a oil slick is siting on top of it..
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Magic Mountain California.

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

CE/ Pyrocy, the photograph must have been taken by you.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is quite an interesting entry purely due to the story behind it...granted it isn't really that interesting to most of you but i'll bore you with it anyway...

One thing i noticed when i first moved to Edinburgh, Scotland was the amount of construction and re-development that was happening around the city (in particular the area in which i live). There are many different sites being demolished and replaced with newer buildings, yet the city has so many old buildings that avoided any damage from World War 2. I have chosen this picture mainly due to the fact that this is what i see from Edinburgh, this is what the city means to me at the moment.

I guess the interesting thing about this is that the place in which i took this photograph was the grounds of Edinburgh Castle. Edinburgh Castle is possibly one of the biggest tourist locations in Europe (and really ideal for the competition). When i was driving home i was sure that one of the photographs i took of Edinburgh Castle was going to be the photograph i used in this competition.

It was a sunny day today, but the sun was shining from the other side of the Castle so it blocked out the sun for most of this photograph which i reckon adds a nice sort of silhouette look in this.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the Photograph of Edinburgh Castle i considered for the competition.

Edinburgh Castle

(not original size, but compressed to load up quicker. Would have been 2 meg if i hadn't reduce pixel size)
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is taken by me... if you don't beleive me i can send you the psd...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, it wasn't that i doubted you. I just had a look at that website it was on and was quite surprised at how good some of the shots were. Couple of things didn't add up and i found it hard to believe you did it, but if you did then well done.
  • oluleci
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • oluleci

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the bigger size (1600x1200) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/oluleci/uskudar_1_med.jpg
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Panama City Beach, Florida
Formerly the Redneck Riviera :D
My town is competing with Destin and other beachside communities in the over development of condominiums....

I have to admit it though having moved here 6 years ago from Orlando....I love this town!

Below is a link of a sunrise from my back yard...
http://www.stacidoucett.com/images/sunrise.jpg
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

that kinda looks like snow though it's sand right? I wonder why ppl are wearing jackets!
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because the temperature's been in the 30s (F) here ('bout 2 C).
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
that kinda looks like snow though it's sand right? I wonder why ppl are wearing jackets!

The beach in the winter is rather nice, deserted and covered with powder white sand. It has been freezing here! We are used to temperatures in the 50's for the winter and like JustG said it's been in the 30's.............
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm so glad I picked this topic!@ We're getting soo many entries. Awesome work guys!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts