Request a competition

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thought occured to me about making a page that supports the International Red Cross and Red Crescent's efforts for the tsunami relief. At the moment I don't have any idea what the content of the page would be, but the end result should encourage people to donate and lead to here:
http://donate.ifrc.org/

It may take partnering with them to obtain their support and use of their logos etc. *shrug. Just an idea to toss out.

Even if it takes us a month or so to get it up and going, those poor victims are going to need help and support for a long time and I can't think of a better, more reputable organization to support than the IFRC.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking of something a little more grass roots. It could be an agency or something in the participants home town. Please keep the ideas coming!! :D
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
The thought occured to me about making a page that supports the International Red Cross and Red Crescent's efforts for the tsunami relief. At the moment I don't have any idea what the content of the page would be, but the end result should encourage people to donate and lead to here:
http://donate.ifrc.org/

It may take partnering with them to obtain their support and use of their logos etc. *shrug. Just an idea to toss out.

Even if it takes us a month or so to get it up and going, those poor victims are going to need help and support for a long time and I can't think of a better, more reputable organization to support than the IFRC.

i think it is a good idea but it would be kind of hard to do, trying to design a site which would have so little content would seem hard but it would be a challenge to get it rite which would be good and helping all those people would feel really good, and a very nice thing to do
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know if this is possible but i will ask anyways, could one of the prize options be a book of the winners choice, like for example a book about learning flash or php, i don't think this would be possible without giving out your address and things but i really want some books lately so was just thinking about that as an idea

anyways lets see what ya think
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm interested...
I definately think there should be a time stipulation, but I definately don't think it could be implemented through the internet. I'd love to try my best but paying customers usually take precedence :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

what sort of topic would you prefer it be?

I've had some suggestions:
- a web site for tsumani victims, to help raise money and awareness (linked to a major aid agency)
- a website for a community agency in the designers local area
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i agree, there should definatly be a time limit and as for which one to do i would say its up to the person who makes the competition, either way i'm looking forward to it and i'm thinking of buying some hosting so i may aswell try this before i buy some but i don't think i will win :roll:
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
what sort of topic would you prefer it be?

I've had some suggestions:
- a web site for tsumani victims, to help raise money and awareness (linked to a major aid agency)
- a website for a community agency in the designers local area

Ive love to participate in this if it happens, and i would have to choose tsumani topic, becuase some people may not be aware of any community agenceys in thier area....like me :oops:
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

so when is this competition kicking off then, if it is kicking off?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

we need more input first :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik -- I noticed your earlier post about it being more "local"

Suggestions:

1. Participants find a local charity/non-profit org willing to participate
2. Pages be limited to 4
3. Pages to be coded to HTML/XHTML/CSS standards
4. Pages must validate with w3c to qualify for acceptance.
5. No Flash -- just code
6. Winner gets the hosting you mentioned free for one year

Does that help get the ball rolling?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added note. This one should give a month for people to find a local org that wants/needs a site (or revision), then let the competition begin.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: your super mod for a very good reason hun

I think that sounds FABULOUS.

If it is kept to the HTML/XHTML/CSS standards you mention, then I am happy to donate 2 prizes - one years hosting and domain to the organisation as well as one for the designer.

I would like an indictation of who would be interested in participating and what sort of time structure they would like.

Who should judge it, peers or a panel of mods?
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm that seems a bit harsh to me, what if someone wants to compete but they can't find a company in their town or anywhere near them, not saying it's a bad idea though
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you live in the desert :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

liltman

In my area the only thing I could come up with is our local Lions Club which helps the Blind. I have no idea if they are interested. I'm quite certain there have to be more. I guess that's part of the challenge. The gist of being a webmaster is that you not only have to know how to code, but you have to know how to create clients for yourself. Seems to me like this competition would serve a two-fold learning process.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't have to be limited to a charity, any not for profit club or group could be used. If you live in a small town then maybe a site for the local library or the local school, the football club, youth centre etc etc.

:D

I think it would be a great way to give something to other people as well as get something for yourself and like ATNO says, the experience is invaluable.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer true, and no i don't live in a desert but i wish i did LOL a desert would be paradice compared to where i live, it is horrible here, whenever someone is nice around here i get shocked and think why are they been nice lol sometimes i will get really paranoid if its something too nice lol
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like this if there was one "basic" competition and then one more advanced one. I think flash should be left out of both comps because not everyone has flash software (i do) or likes the way it works. Also, I don't think it should be limited to 4 pages but, that shouldn't have a large impact on the grading. For instance, if I was to make a website for my local school, it would have to be much more than four pages. My ideas are that both contests should be HTML XHTML CSS bla bla bla compliant but that the beginner one be limited to HTML and images and the "advanced" competition include database and MySQL use along with everything else and have another category of the grading based on Backend features.. just an idea.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There hasnt been much interest so I think we will give this one a miss and look at some other ideas later :)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

fine then :cry: lol. can't wait to hear the next idea.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

me either, cuz i was interested in this, wanted to enter a competition for some time now, so i look forward to the next idea
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no reason why we can't have a website comp - its just there will be no prizes, but you will have the warm and fluffy feeling of being an Ozzu winner ;)

(well we can give you an award to post on your website!)
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
There is no reason why we can't have a website comp - its just there will be no prizes, but you will have the warm and fluffy feeling of being an Ozzu winner ;)

(well we can give you an award to post on your website!)

yeah a suppose we could still do that if people will, just wonder how many would
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a webmaster forum? We can't possibly be short of designers willing to enter their site. :)
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Liquescence wrote:
It's a webmaster forum? We can't possibly be short of designers willing to enter their site. :)

hopefully they will be enough interested, i mean there wasn't earlier when there was a prize why now? lol
  • RJ-Toxicity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lodi, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about something from photoshop
but only things started from scratch
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you elaborate a bit :D
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

RJ-Toxicity wrote:
how about something from photoshop
but only things started from scratch

that would probably be kwel too, that one will also be hard, but I am game for it :D
  • RJ-Toxicity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lodi, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

elaborate huh....lets see
basically open a blank photoshop document and create any kind of tweaked out image you want without using any other pictures or any other programs

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 539 posts