• liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

RJ-Toxicity wrote:
elaborate huh....lets see
basically open a blank photoshop document and create any kind of tweaked out image you want without using any other pictures or any other programs

aah if thats what i think then it actually isn't hard, can it be anything, doesn't have to be something real or owt, like could it be random stuff? like lots of patterns or something?
  • RJ-Toxicity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lodi, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yes but with some kind of theme to it
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to run another comp when the photography one is finished, it will be a create a composition one.

Cheers,
Rose
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys i was wondering if we could add a sig competition to this forum i know there are many people who use photoshop and fireworks and i think it would be fun to put their skills to the test

they had it at another forum and this is how it worked

Topic: ex: olympics
size: ex: 350 pixels by 120 pixels
starting date: ex: 2/8/05
ending date: ex: 2/16/05
Format: Ex: Gif, swf, whatever or creators preference

and it would go something like that

the moderators or the site admin would post and topic and the moderators and admin cannot enter

and the moderators and admin decide who wins the competition

and whoever wins the competition the admins or moderators would put Winner of Week 1 or 2/8/05 sig competition and if they win more than once ud be like Winner of Week 1,2,5,7 sig competition
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We prefer competition requests be made her skirge. I removed your poll, because when I merged this it ended up showing on all pages, and no longer made any sense. People can voice their opinions on it here.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
Hey guys i was wondering if we could add a sig competition to this forum i know there are many people who use photoshop and fireworks and i think it would be fun to put their skills to the test

they had it at another forum and this is how it worked

Topic: ex: olympics
size: ex: 350 pixels by 120 pixels
starting date: ex: 2/8/05
ending date: ex: 2/16/05
Format: Ex: Gif, swf, whatever or creators preference

and it would go something like that

the moderators or the site admin would post and topic and the moderators and admin cannot enter

and the moderators and admin decide who wins the competition

and whoever wins the competition the admins or moderators would put Winner of Week 1 or 2/8/05 sig competition and if they win more than once ud be like Winner of Week 1,2,5,7 sig competition

Skirge you have made a really good contribution to the ideas pool! I really like this one. It wouldn't be possible to run it so often, but it would be fun to have an assortment of types of competitions to cater for everyones tastes and talents.

A web site comp is in the pipeline, it wont be anything too fancy, particular pics and rules on design so it can be created originally.

Once the Create-A-Composition competition is over (what a mouthful!) I will run the sig competition while the next Photography one is being held, then it keeps things a bit different. As usual the winner's entry will be placed in the main winners topic and they are free to use their entries in their own signatures.

Not sure about excluding mods from the comp - while some moderators have exceptional graphic skills, others do not, there are also forum members who are professional designers, it's no big deal - after all it is all about trying it out and getting better at your skills, if you happen to win well that's cool too :D

Cheers,
Rose
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was saying no mods because they would be judging and they could vote for themselves n stuff
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the record, skirge, Moderators don't have any contol over the vote. We vote the same way you do nor do we see the results of the voting before you do, and i can pretty much vouch for the integrity of the mods that they will vote for the best entry regardless of the competition, and regardless of the entries. I for one have not voted for myself in any competition I have attempted to enter.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
i was saying no mods because they would be judging and they could vote for themselves n stuff

anyone could can vote for themselves, there is no rules against it, however it is better for everyone if you either don't vote or vote for another entry you think is really good.

I wouldn't be too concerned, mods have better things to do than cheat to win a competition and I'd reckon ozzu members are the same too :D

PS: for the record all votes are judged by polls and not by moderators ;)
  • Mattu
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can we get another compilation contest? Either that, or maybe the sig one you were discussing? Just joined the forums and would be interested in something like this.
  • johnson8169z
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • johnson8169z
  • Loc: *TOP SECRET* (Not So)

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about umm........A web design competition, eh?
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

:wink: How about an ScreenSaver competition, you can create an screensaver using any tool that can help you. Any kind of image is allowed. The screenSaver has to be ozzu related. you can add music, but however is not required. As you can also add photos, animations etc.
3 general resolutions, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024. :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

cjxxi wrote:
:wink: How about an ScreenSaver competition, you can create an screensaver using any tool that can help you. Any kind of image is allowed. The screenSaver has to be ozzu related. you can add music, but however is not required. As you can also add photos, animations etc.
3 general resolutions, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024. :D

Thats not a bad idea.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't know if this has been asked, but how about a competition to create the most orginal character? whether in flash, drawn and scanned in, photoshop, etc.
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the Great wrote:
don't know if this has been asked, but how about a competition to create the most orginal character? whether in flash, drawn and scanned in, photoshop, etc.

I like that idea Tom :D :iconthumbright:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep the ideas coming, I do look at them all for ideas. I'll do another array of comps after the photography one.

:D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't leave us design heads out :D I enjoyed the first web design competition, mostly, due to the focus being somewhat cosmetic, but mostly on the structure aspect.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I won't, I liked the design comp too, it was a lot of fun. We'll be running one again soon :D
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there

I haven't seen any market comps. How about a drive traffic to a site challenge. We're launching our new site design soon and would LOve to send tons of trafic to it. We could pay a commision on bookings and offer a prize for the top three leaders.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also having a seo challenge like someone had a while ago, where you pick a random word that has no results on google/yahoo/others, then see who has the top spot in a month or w/e.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could maybe see the purpose of the random word competition, but I think the competition to drive traffic to anyone's given site is just a way to take advantage of us. :( Anyways, IMHO, this could drive people to utilize blacklisted techniques that we probably shouldn't condone.
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Yes. Some of the participants in this forum are easily amoung the best in the given industries. While the challenge is running the given company would get the traffic and generate some profit. The winners would get a prize and any lead that converts to a booking is paid out as an affiliate.
  • ovy
  • ovy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can we have another signature competition. i didn't get to compete in the other one.
Thanks

ps: i am ready to be you alll!!!!
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can we get some competitions that aren't graphic based? I mean, I'm pretty good with graphics, but that's only a small part of what I do.
The reason I have been avoiding the competition forum is that it's pretty much all been graphics. I'd like to see some code based competitions.

I realize that the beauty of code is secondary to it's functionality, but the beauty of code is as relative as the beauty of a piece of art, and the language used to solve a particular problem can be considered the medium.
I really want to participate in the competitions, but I'm not a photographer.
How about something for us ugly people?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe@spock "How about something for us ugly people?"

Well, if you can get to me some ideas that would work for the general population (something difficult but not too brain frying) that would involve creating something original, then provide me with your ideas, and I'll get a code based comp up.

Have a look at the kind of guidelines I use for example with the webdesign comp to give you some ideas on how specific I need it to be.

That goes for any other coders with ideas, please suggest your ideas here:
[Dead Link]
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

As seen in <http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic54361.html>:

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
Can we get some competitions that aren't
graphic based? I mean, I'm pretty good with graphics, but that's only
a small part of what I do. The reason I have been avoiding the
competition forum is that it's pretty much all been graphics. I'd like
to see some code based competitions.

I realize that the beauty of code is secondary to it's functionality,
but the beauty of code is as relative as the beauty of a piece of art,
and the language used to solve a particular problem can be considered
the medium. I really want to participate in the competitions, but I'm
not a photographer. How about something for us ugly people?

Similar mumblings were mumbled in the gargantuan thread.

There are several patterns of coding competitions. In one common pattern, the host specifies a programming language (possibly allowing for use of the some standard library, in the case of languages like C++) and the behavior of the computer program. The winner of the contest is the person who writes the program that solves the program with the shortest program (measured in bytes of code). In a similar version, the winner of the contest is the person who writes the program that solves the problem and runs the fastest.

There are certain problems with these sorts of coding competitions: 'writing the shortest program' is a pretty useless competition, in that nobody learns anything useful from those sorts of competitions. 'Writing the fastest program' is impossible to judge, because speed depends on the particular compiler, processor, and operating system being used.

But ScienceOfSpock's idea (at least I think this was his idea) is great. A competition to write the most 'beautiful' code (as judged by people voting, in the same way that the photography competitions are judged) that solves some particular problem would be good. Good things about this competition:

1. It can let any programming language be used, so that many people can enter.

2. Entries can be used by other people to learn different ways of tackling problems.

3. It exposes people to different programming languages. (I know some people think I have a vested interest in this, considering my previous flames at PHP :->)

4. The problem needed to be solved need not be terribly complicated, so these sorts of competitions would have low barriers of entry.

5. The winner is the person with the 'best' solution, instead of the solution that follows some mildly insane measurement.

6. It would encourage better programming ability. Many questions in the programming forum are along the lines of 'what function in PHP will solve my problem for me?', instead of 'how can I solve my own problem?'.

I think there might be a few difficulties, though. Solutions in some programming languages would automatically be considered ugly, because the programming languages look ugly. For example, any solutions written in Perl, Forth, or even good old C or C++, may appear ugly while being gems underneath the syntax.

I recommend that the submissions be done in a submission thread, not by secret email to some person (as other forums' contests have been held). This will encourage participation. Some people might borrow ideas from others, but that's the whole point of Ozzu.

If submissions are done in such a thread, I'd like submitting multiple entries to be allowed. I'm reminded of the thread that Rabid Dog linked to at some point in time, at <http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic36685.html>. Sometimes it's just fun to offer multiple ways of solving the problem.

The question is, who writes the problems?
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. Please read my suggestion in that thread.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
The question is, who writes the problems?

You do! :lol:

If you would like a programming comp, then could you make something up (because I have no idea and would probably get it all wrong).

Have a look at the other competition starter pages to get a feel for how I create the rules, try and give it to me in that kind of format. Comps end on a Monday, so pick a Monday which will allow a few weekends for people to work on their entries.

PM me with your final draft and I will put it up and include it in the competition notify list PM which will be going out asap.

If you can't then let me know.

Cheers!
Rose :D
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would like to see more competitions smaller deadlines
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback, the reason I give 3 weeks is because a lot of people are very busy and not everyone has time after work on weekdays to work on their entries. I always give at least 2 full weekends for people to either create their entries, snap a photo etc.

:D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 539 posts