Request a competition

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about to upload a new digital art competition within the next half hour.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

only 2 weeks until St. Patties Day...... A far better Holiday then Valentines.....
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually amused by the worlds fascination in St Particks day.

I think after the disaster of the Valentines day comps i'm not convinced we should go straight into another comp based on one day of the year.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's wrong with the one day a year where people expect you to drink booze..... :P
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose we could generalise it to something like Party or Drink or something like this, and maybe as a photography comp only.

I'll let 613flavah know of this and she'll decide on what is best for the next comp.

In the meantime, i am open to hear suggestions for the Digital Art Comp which i'll hopefully put up over the next few days.

Any other competition ideas are appreciated too.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photography: Foreign Object
With this, simply take a picture of something that is out of place. A coffee cup in a forest, a can of pepsi in a coke machine, etc.
  • hjsh7766
  • hjsh7766
  • Loc: Putian,Fujian,China

Post 3+ Months Ago

aha, i will see it :wink: :oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't want to read through 35 threads at this point, but in case it hasn't been suggested yet, Architecture would make a good subject for a Photography comp. Very broad and I'm sure the variety would be interesting. Especially with our international member database
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seconded.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

We could do the architecture as a photo manipulation contest. The person could take a picture of a cool building, then photoshop (or gimp) everything around it to make it appear as if it is 100 years in the future.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
We could do the architecture as a photo manipulation contest. The person could take a picture of a cool building, then photoshop (or gimp) everything around it to make it appear as if it is 100 years in the future.

Annoying thing about suggestions like this is if i was to create the competition nobody would take part. I've found that not even the competition suggester has even taken part too which can be a bit confusing and irritating to see.

I like the architecture photo comp on Ozzu though. We'll see what flavah decides when the new comp is started. First things first though, we have a poll to do.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Annoying thing about suggestions like this is if i was to create the competition nobody would take part. I've found that not even the competition suggester has even taken part too which can be a bit confusing and irritating to see.

It was just an idea, I'm not much of a digital arts person (I just don't have the creative eye) but I still like seeing what other people can come up with.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about broad photography and/or digital art competitions? Instead of making the competition one or the other, you can use photos you've taken or from stock galleries, and manipulate them to suit the theme.

That way hopefully more people will enter, because you're not limiting entrants to either photographers or photoshoppers.

Theme idea: Passion, lust and/or love.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is just like a digital art comp, it's not restricting people from using photographs and allowing the use of editing. The photography competition of late has been popular and it would make sense to have this one continue for a while yet.

I am going to create a poll requesting if anyone wants the digital art comp to start up also allowing everyone to suggest a topic for it. If the poll says yes to reintroducing the digital art comp then i will reinstate it with what i think is the best suggestion.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think a good photography one for the summer would be "Children at Play". I think everyone that has a camera could manage to find some very interesting "subjects" for this one.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. I'll let hurricane know of this suggestion and see what she wants to do. One thing is for sure we definitely need to make sure the competition lasts longer than 3 weeks as the last one wasn't very successful.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

May/June is always bad timing. Too much going on between proms, graduations, weddings, and people doing more outdoor things.
  • whogoes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • whogoes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Competition Suggestions:

1. Storms
2. Rough Textures
3. Glow
4. Bugs Life (close up)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now would be a really good time for a fall/spring competition since the northern Hemisphere is in Fall and the Southern in Spring. We haven't had one specific to those two seasons yet.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will sort something out soon, maybe by the end of today. Thanks.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about a competition on pushing the limits of css3 on safari/chrome and FF? One page, using only html and CSS3. No javscript, php, or other scripting languages. No images. See how creative one can get with CSS3?

Sound like a good idea?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Web design competitions are usually a hit or miss on Ozzu, some can be popular and others are not. I won't create a competitions specific to what you are suggesting, however i will probably start up a web design competition where you can do as you wish to make it as good as you like.

Got a few things going on at the moment, i'll see about starting up something soon. Any ideas on what the competition theme/topic should be?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about a picture retouching competition? I mean the competition starter would provide 1 picture for us to work with and we should try to change it as much as possible...

How does that sound?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like the Digital Art one of the past.

I will create a new competition soon, at this moment in time i fancy giving the Photography one a break until after the new year. Might squeeze in a couple before the turn of the year. I like your suggestion Bogey, if you want to then send me a PM with an image you think would be fun to retoouch.

Thanks.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some ideas:

Competition 1) Make a homepage with a "new" domain of choice, who can get the most traffic to their new site in one/two month? People buy their own domain and hosting in this competition. They can use whatever knowledge/tools they have to draw traffic.

Competition 2) A SEO competition, a moderator or someone pick a word or phrase of some relevance (or we vote). The competition is about who can get the highest on that word(s) in GOOGLE/BING/YAHOO.

Competition 3) Money competiton, who can make the most money on new homepage? Here people can use whatever creativity they have to sell stuff/services or they can throw up adds and may the best idea win. :D

What do you think? Would anyone be interested in such competition(s)?

I like competition 3 the most, I would probably not win but everyone could be winners in such a competition? :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

WritingBadCode wrote:
Some ideas:

Competition 1) Make a homepage with a "new" domain of choice, who can get the most traffic to their new site in one/two month? People buy their own domain and hosting in this competition. They can use whatever knowledge/tools they have to draw traffic.

Competition 2) A SEO competition, a moderator or someone pick a word or phrase of some relevance (or we vote). The competition is about who can get the highest on that word(s) in GOOGLE/BING/YAHOO.

Competition 3) Money competiton, who can make the most money on new homepage? Here people can use whatever creativity they have to sell stuff/services or they can throw up adds and may the best idea win. :D

What do you think? Would anyone be interested in such competition(s)?

I like competition 3 the most, I would probably not win but everyone could be winners in such a competition? :)

If I'm spending money to win a competition, the rewards have to be good enough, and just to win with no reward is... well, not rewarding. I don't think any of those ideas are suitable for everyone.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
If I'm spending money to win a competition, the rewards have to be good enough, and just to win with no reward is... well, not rewarding. I don't think any of those ideas are suitable for everyone.

Thanks for your input bogey. You have a point. :|
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

let it be a competition of the mest interesting and new unvented word of phrase with the explanation.
  • webelious
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: OZ

Post 88 days ago

I have an idea, this site here -
Attachments:
INDEX.PHP_LinkGuardBIZ_2014-07-24_141003.png

Index Showing the Page you get to when whatever generates the link inside this is out on the link you want to use this Simple, yet inovative link management systems

Attachments:
FOOTER TEXT JS - LinkGuardBIZ_2014-07-24_141059.png

Fotter.txt which shows the Javascript to be added to the footer file of other 'friends' OR you're own HTML/PHP files etc.

Attachments:
CAPTCHA.PHP_LinkGuardBIZ_2014-07-24_140827.png

Captcha.php Showing the Page you get to when whatever generates the link inside this code (we can't see from public view) is put on the link as its ahref - you want to use this Simple, yet inovative link management systems to be as simple and use outside API with detailed doc's wherever possible.

linkguardbiz/captcha.php?link=aHR0cDovLzMwMG1ibGlua3MuY29tL2dvdG8vaHR0cDovL3d3dy5zb2Nrc2hhcmUuY29tL2ZpbGUvRURFMUM1MURBMDJFQzEzMQ== (sorry no links)

It used for just just used as an in-house (links from particular blog only, so everything was in a /goto/ folder (no captcha back then, just the 'Click to Continue' (to link) after the captcha.php?xxxxxxxxx

Though I think adding this to a sub-domain or even domain in the network would be good to keep track of links you use (use robot.txt) so only those you tell about it can use it, if they would even want to?)

REASON: I have been trying to figure this out for months, before there was such a thing as this site. it was /goto/index?xxxxx much the same (everything really but own site and captcha, and was coded into a WP blog. So I really NEED something like this for my own site, as we giveaway Freebies, and would be nice to have a page like this where they have to click to continue to get paid advertising etc for hosting costs as Author's get nothing. Same as CAPTCHA - Using SolveMedia you can earn from this also. Those running Freebie Sites that search the globe for free promo's etc and rely on members, guest authors etc, it is PERFECT to keep site running!

It's only 2 or 3 small PHP files (good to heave them as header.php and footer.php or a way of making templating fit with the site?

I can read PHP, but no good with the organization of laying it out, I'm error king LOL.

But from my research it may need mod_rewrite active to give each link a unique file?xxxxxxjkkkk00111001110 type URL, and there is a tiny bit of Javascript also which you can see in a Footer.txt they ask you to put into YOUR site, so this obviously goes into the footer.php or whatever main file being an in-house script, unless for friends if someone wants to add it?

linkguardbiz/index.php (Sorry No Links)

So what I found was the standard index.php (just the main page template)

captcha.php
secure.php

from the out set, and the 'domains' you can add are in the javascript file so whatever domains are added will use this system, so be good if it would leave this but add a "*universal" or ALL domains option also.

As for back-end again, I think this bit of javascript is it? there maybe obviously more in the captcha.php for the reCaptcha or SolveMedia API & to direct to the secure.php page? though mostly this would be in the CAPTCHA's DOCS and Is from what I've read.

Sorry for the LONG details, I just wanted to go through step by step and show you when I was trying to figure this, it was based inside a wordpress blog (not as a plug-in), just the same code w/out captcha in the /goto/ folder which the links would point to and you'd get the same result as here minus 1 step.

SEEEMS VERY SIMPLE. yet could not find anything as simple as it on HotScripts, Commercial Scripts, they were all overboard with URLshortners etc, and basically missed the whole point.

Which is whatever file (oh call it admin.php for here only) would have the stats of each links click (maybe), though they use linkbucks etc, so would be nice to have, but I think this is how they count clicks and a separate code to count clicks at any 'personal ads' on the 'Continue to Link' page (something to think about, right?) though did they get that far yet either? GPL codes out there for this specific purpose though during my research.

As I said, I can see and have researched what is going on here, and it is very simple in terms of function, hardest part is to seperate template from function files so not to use good 'ole echo which is too limited. hence require_once for header.php and footer.php which would have majority of code needed over and over, others would go into templates are required of course... IMHO for best layout.

THIS IS A CHALLENGING REQUEST FOR CODING STUDENT, AND A GOOD WAY TO LEARN CAPTCHA API's AND BEST WAY TO Definae Templates from Core Files. I think. Plus I really need it, well our Project does though we are lacking our PHP/mySQL/jQry/JS Guru atm to a Semester of UNI abroad...

[u]MODERATOR[/i]: If you can give particpants Bonuses/Freebies for their efforts AWSESOME motivational tool (on Member's description?), though BONUSES from those that "Like" the end Source/Result - VERY NICE! IMHO of course[/b]

So WHO LOVES IT? for their Site/Blog that send's users to alot of outseide links while keeping their business inside a little longer before they leave by opening up advertising spots & all the other coolness (better design with your sites' of course)....

I apologies for the links, I was unaware. So I have just attached the screenshots with the info above should give you all you need to see how it works.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 539 posts