bad printing quality....

• Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am making a flyer with photoimpact 10...
After that I try to print it. But the printing quality is very bad.
I have a new HP printer and I have chosen the best printing quality. Even the paper I bought is good quality. Do I have to save it first ?
if so, in what format do I have to save it for the best quality?

Thank You
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

HP make about 100 different models of printer, could you be a bit more specific?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

For printing on a home printer, resolution matters more than format. If you plan on printing 1 then photocopying them to hand out, 100dpi (dots per inch) should do. If you plan on printing 10 or 20 or so, just to hang up around the office or school, I would go for 300dpi.
For an 8x10 flyer, this equals 2400x3000 pixels (not worrying about the margin that most home printers have)
  • Meron
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Meron

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's a HP photosmart 97960

thanks ScienceOfSpock
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean the Photosmart 7960?

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed. It might be a good idea to use a custom colour profile, if one exists, for your printer, rather than using the default AdobeRGB and sRGB colour profiles.

Like Spock says, make sure your images are at 300DPI, which for something like an 8x10 would be 2400x3000, or for a 6x4 would be 1800x1200. Then you'll want to print on the printer at 1200DPI.

The reason you print at 1200DPI even though your image is only 300DPI is due to the fact that on-screen, or on a dye-sub printer, 1 pixel is 1 pixel of pretty much infinite colour range (I say pretty much, but on-screen it's actually one of 16.7 million colours).

On an ink-jet printer, 1 pixel is actually made up of 4 dots on paper (one Cyan, one Magenta, one Yellow and one Black), so you have to print at 4x the resolution to get anywhere close to the same level of detail.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts