Battle of Britain Spitfires

• Gray539
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another illustration using a mix of vector and raster graphics.

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

this makes me want to play a WW2 air combat game
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a long time since I've played those games. Flaming a few of the enemy always makes you feel better.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is really good. Can you talk about your process a bit (or link me if you already did in another thread)?
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comment, spork.

1. This shows the basic steps I use for drawing a plane in vector. The method I use is to make a simple 3D wireframe to start with so as I can work out the composition and angle of the main subject(s). Usually takes about 3-4 hours per wireframe. Also shows the vector line drawing for the plane. This aircraft is a Russian Tupolev and has a very long wing span , which is why I cropped it. Doing it this way is kind of like vector by numbers.

2. After importing the JPEG of the 3D wireframe into my vector software I add as many reference photos of the subject I require to draw it. I keep everything on separate layers as I work. Now I colour block in the colours and start to draw in the panel lines and other details and texturing to start to round out the flat image.

3. In this step most of the fuselage details and shading have been added to start to get away from the flat look. You can also see that each layer has many shapes in it.

4. After the fuselage comes the wings. The port wing is mostly finished in this clip and work has started on the other wing. Same thing as the fuselage, I’m adding shading and texture and stencilling to try and give the image dimensions.

5. The vector image is mostly completed and placed on a digitally painted background. I normally layout and paint the background first to get the colour palette. It still needs work but you get the basic method I use.

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm blown away by the details. I take it you do this for a living? Or is this just a hobby?
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for asking Spork, it's just a hobby.
  • pat35249
  • Born
  • Born
  • pat35249

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good news,I want to play a WW2 air combat game.
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad I could be of help. Good hunting.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts