Branding work

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all I should qualify my previous comment - I loathe print media because I'm a horrible proofreader, and I've been spoiled by the internet which can always be updated.
:)

I did run into a situation earlier this year where I had a gradient transparency that the print shop said they could do in EPS but not PDF. The said something about it being the latest and greates print technology/machine - something or other - I had heard that transparencies can cause problems in some print processes, but never this. Does this ring any bells for you all? Ever heard of such a thing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes true, sorry they can be converted to EPS etc - it depends on the printer and their skills ;)

I must say as a designer there is a lot of reward in seeing the print version of something you have designed even if the process was a nightmare to get there of proofing proofs and reproofing proofs and then finding a mistake and so it goes :lol:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

again with the great minds....lol
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

without trying to soud weird, but the smell of something youve done ( i mean printed) hahaha
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I did run into a situation earlier this year where I had a gradient transparency that the print shop said they could do in EPS but not PDF. The said something about it being the latest and greates print technology/machine - something or other - I had heard that transparencies can cause problems in some print processes, but never this. Does this ring any bells for you all? Ever heard of such a thing?

oh transparencies *smacks head on table*

yes i think ive come close to tears when i first started in this feild with that problem. i still have hassles now and then and amazingly most of the time, nothing is using it anyway!! :lol:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

DR01D wrote:
without trying to soud weird, but the smell of something youve done ( i mean printed) hahaha

LOL ohhh did you see me sniff the flyer i made which got delivered yesterday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah i can just see it lol

something only a designer would understand ;-)

something about those chemicals that just makes you feel good lol
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel the same way about 'fixing' photo negatives. :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahahaaaaa :thumbsup:
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet thanks you lot! So basically it'll prevent say a white gap on the edge of a business card if say you made the design red to the edge?

Im not sure about the text you where talking about.

Do you always use bleeds?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't ALWAYS use bleeds, but it does make for a nice complete look. Sometimes I'll only have a bleed on the top and side for say a letterhead.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

FusionDesigner wrote:
Sweet thanks you lot! So basically it'll prevent say a white gap on the edge of a business card if say you made the design red to the edge?

Im not sure about the text you where talking about.

Do you always use bleeds?

yep thats exactly what we mean, and it also goes for any other printing your doing whether business cards or anything where an image/solid colour etc is used to the edge.

Yes I always use them, its imperative to use them so your work comes out looking perfect :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I don't ALWAYS use bleeds, but it does make for a nice complete look. Sometimes I'll only have a bleed on the top and side for say a letterhead.

lol ok yes your right, if its a white background i mean... then yes ok you need no bleed but if your letterhead bkg is blue then yeah you need it.

rule is - if the colour or image is going to go all the way to the edge, bleed it off so it prints good.

if it doesnt go to the edge, then dont :P
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

reason being that when printed material is cut (like biz cards) it doesnt always cut where you want it to so you have to allow that extra space just incase.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

^ yes wot he/she said! ahh well said. my brain isnt working well today I dont think ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems to me your brain is right on.

:D
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

man you cant tell whether im a he/she maybe i should start usin more slang and maybe swear a bit too ;-)))
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats odd it seemed to be working before ;-)))
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

print work is my favourite form of design. i make websites too but making print media kicks ass :thumbsup:

DR01D: sorry i should have just used your name to be safe :D
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

sall good :thumbsup:
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are the specifics on letterheads then?

i.e. the doc size you make it in AI, then how its loaded into the printer for the client or myself. For example I write something in word, where do i make the margins so its all neat etc. Maybe I just have to experiment?
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

basically you set the illustrator document up as A4, design up your letterhead including logos, contact details etc. then work out where you want the body to be placed - margins, width and height. also setting a font style is a good idea. if you are going 4 colour process make sure all your images are in cmyk and the document colour mode is cmyk. otherwise you can use spot colour.

setting up the word doc is easy just set up the margins with the same measurements as you have made them in illustrator and presto, make sure you use the desired font for styling. you wont need to put logos etc on the word doc if you are running a pre printed sheet through the printer.

if you are printing the whole thing yourself, to start with you will probably set up your word doc like the illustrator file, with logos contact details etc. most home printers dont print bleeds so make sure nothing goes off the edge, you will probably need about 10mm allround to be safe.

hope that helps
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks.... sure!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 53 posts