Browser resizing & pixel ratio vs pixelation & disto

• GRISS
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC (currently in NY)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone..

I'm trying to identify the cause of jagged distortion in this 553W x 565H 300dpi jpg image when it is displayed at anything other than 100% or multiple thereof.

http://www.vitrixhotglass.com/gallery/catfiles/A1c.jpg

I can put it in Microsoft Photo Editor and change the default 100% (where it displays flawlessly) to 100.01% or 99.99% and either way the smooth lines of this object start zig zagging just like they do when this image is resized in any browser. This makes all the items in my Flash 8 designed photo gallery look awful.

I searched this site and found three threads dealing with some similar things but didn't find an answer - only some extra keywords I hadn't thought of like "pixel ratio" (instead of aspect ratio) and "distortion" (instead of pixelation).

I hate to think that coding to prevent browser resizing of the gallery images is the only way out of this delema. I haven't tried PNG for fear of browser compatibility issues. Could this be a pixel ratio problem? Is there a solution to this?

What a great site this is!

Thanks for being here!

ig!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, browser and Flash resizing methods leave much to be desired. They seem to do a very quick and dirty scale leaving terrible artefacts.

I don't know much about Flash to be honest, but unless you can find a way of implementing a proper resampling of the images you'll probably need to keep them at a 1:1 ratio on screen.

Most pre-built gallery systems will resample your images upon your submission and then display these clean resampled versions.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GRISS wrote:
I hate to think that coding to prevent browser resizing of the gallery images is the only way out of this delema. I haven't tried PNG for fear of browser compatibility issues. Could this be a pixel ratio problem? Is there a solution to this?

The nice thing about flash is that if you don't want something to be editable it wont be. Do you mind if I ask what flash program you are using to display the images or is it custom written?

You could change the file type the nice thing about flash is that it has a lot more capabilities and control over the images.

If you are using a purchased flash template you might want to check the authors site and see if they have any answers for the problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts