bump mapping

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been trying to learn bump mapping, and I was completely blown away at what you can accomplish doing this in max. This is the first experimental image that I used. Pretty much used some default library images, except for the background scene, which is a hdri (something else I am trying to learn).

I thought the image was awesome so I am going to post it. Any suggestions on how to improve it would be appreciated. Like what I don't really like about it is that the cracks are bumpy as well. All that was applied to the bump map was noise.

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

that looks almost real *shocked!*

something to improve!?...not alot lol

maybe the reflection on the ball could be a little more blurred, where the blue/green meets the outside reflection seems a lil too sharp..
thats about it...seriously good job ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice render Vlad!!! I would make the texture bigger. It's a little too rippely. you know, you could incorporate the grout into the bump map :)

nice refelctions!
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladrac...that's GNARLY! That's really HOT! For a first shot that was CRAZY good! Man, how do you get your hands on all this software! You seem to have you hands in about 5 different pools at once!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the grout is exactly what I am having problems with. My guess is I need to take the tile bitmap, and add the lines for the grout in photoshop

thanks for the comments guys
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

@s15.... yeah I use max a lot more now, and photoshop. Then there is flash mx 2004. Those are the main ones I have and I am trying to learn them all at once. It is making me a little buggy
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow that is great work! looks so real, i thought it was a photo that you had taken!

I know what you mean about the grout but i only really noticed it as i read what you said.

Keep up the great work
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a cool render Vlad, really amazing.

Well I know nothing about this stuff but is there any way of applying the bumps to the tiles individually? That would sort the grout problem, and also a couple of the bumps seem to travel from one tile to the adjacent one (kinda matching up), which IMHO looks a bit funny.

But yeah that is really good work there! Nice one
  • Rémon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rémon

Post 3+ Months Ago

omg! amazing render vladd, looks so real.

i agree with Nuc, if the image was a little more blured it would look ACE!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it needs blurring (it already looks anti-aliased well).

I like it just as it is, except like dM says, you need to fix that grout man - grout usually doesn't have reflections ;)

Remon, could you fix your signature image please. It's a tad over the 6KB maximum limit.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I figured out how to do it, in fact I just finished writing a tutorial on it. Here is the final result of that.

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, MUCH MUCH better...

Can we see the original camera view re-rendered with your new grout?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, I didn't apply that to that image..but I will just for you...

lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why thank you ;)

hehe
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure I like this so much, but I do think it is a lot better than the last one x100

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I tweaked the levels some more, and I came up with that...It is a different image above
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that looks really nice. Probably not the best angle like you said, but great for showing off the floor. It's got some good reflection going on (and only in the right places this time), so it's a perfect example of the technique :)
  • 5-0
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • 5-0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats quite nice. I wouldn't neccesarily call it awesome just yet because it is a very simple scene that could be made in under 15 mins. It is a very nice experiment. I am glad to see that you are trying new things with your 3d proggy.

I'v also got to start learning HRDI mapping but my 3d app needs to get a plugin to support it .

By any chance did i get you interested in this bump map experiment when i told you to put it onto your record player?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep absolutely 5-0.

btw, are you using max 6? because if you are, it supports hrdi without the use of a plugin.

your right it is a simple scene, but it blew me away that I was even capable of making such a scene. It opened up a whole new world for me, and now I have hundreds of ideas running through my head of what I can do with bump-mapping. Next I am thinking of trying to make some condensation on a bottle. Or some highly textured glass.

hdri is cool in the fact that you can use those maps to cast light wintin them selve. A lot of potential there. But I am still learning, so I have far to go.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts