Can you spot the seam?

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about to try and make a 360 degree panorama shot of an ice covered lake and shoreline, and was practicing with seam blending.

This shot is just two frames together, but I'd appreciate it if you can try and spot the seam.

Thanks, eh...

C.C.

Full size image (272KB):
http://paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/th ... _hirez.jpg
I screwed up by not using a tripod, but I'll remember to correct that when I go out onto Pine Lake to do a full 360 degree shot of the lake.

BTW...before being resized from 5200px by 1932px, the assembled image was 58MB, just for TWO images :lol:

Hmmmm, I could have sworn I was posting this in the photography forum...my apologies to the mods, could you be so kind as to move it to the appropriate forum, thanks, eh...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

All it takes is for you to reply with the "how to" on what you did to get the (in my opinion) near invisible seam then this will be a digital art topic. So, i will leave it here for the moment.

Nice work, so how did you do it?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started with a new image with the dimensions 5200x1932 (basically twice the size of the original images (2576x1932).

With a white background, I then added the two separate images as layers with the left side image as layer 2 and the right side frame as layer 1.

Adjust the position of the right side frame (25-30 percent opacity) so that there is as least amount of seam as possible, then after returning the opacity to 100%, you select the eraser tool to do the actual blend.

Eraser settings:
75px (when working on a medium to large image)
0% hardness
Mode - brush
Opacity 100%
Flow 11%
Set to enable Airbrush capabilities.

I decided to stick to a 768px height for the full size, then resized to come up with a decent thumbnail image for the forum thread.
I tried to do a "Save for the web" but Photoshop CS2 didn't want to perform that operation on a 58MB image file :lol:

Like I said...if I'd been smart enough to take along a tripod, there would be less curvature on the skyline that there is now, but at least I'm learning as I go :D

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have Photoshop CS2 you should look into Photomerge. (File-->Automate-->Photomerge). It takes a lot of the hassle out of making panoramics. Check it out.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice job bro. I can't see a seam at all.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now you can :-]
http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/the_lake/seam_display.jpg
I made a few mistakes with this attempt to blend the two frames together, but I'll remember not to make the same mistakes again.

Especially since the lake is still frozen, and I'm just looking to find the free time to run out there with the camera and tripod.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuprSonic5 wrote:
If you have Photoshop CS2 you should look into Photomerge. (File-->Automate-->Photomerge). It takes a lot of the hassle out of making panoramics. Check it out.
I'll do that, thanks.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice photo in general, if never pointed out that it was cut, you could not find it, but there is a bit of a color difference so you can spot it with a strong eye, good stuff
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking forward to getting out onto the lake in front of the house, but I expect the blending will be a little more difficult with a 360 degree image, especially with such varied foliage.

Thanks again.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it should work out. Just make sure your tripod is level all the way around, make sure auto exposure is turned off on your camera, don't use auto zoom with zoom lenses, and make sure to overlap by 25% on each picture. Hope it comes out well.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I may have lost my window for getting out onto the lake, it's definitely NOT completely frozen *shakes wet foot*

But I did get a few images together while on the deck, hopefully the seam is even less noticeable :D
This is just one frame...
Full size image (2.85MB):
http://paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/the_lake/panorama_03-11-07.jpg

BTW...the dark splotches in the clouds are exactly that, it was quite over cast and dreary this morning.

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cannot see any seams anymore. Really nice job and a nice photograph.

Well done.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congratulations again, SB.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha i am familiar with that area. Never thought i would be seeing this on a webmaster forum.

Good job btw, i will definitely be doing this when i need to take a panoramic of the business.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts