Dealing with Levels

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought i would knock together a quick tutorial for people using Photoshop CS2 on the Windows XP operating system.

I found that when you sometimes take photographs the image might be too light, or even too dark. There is a way in which you can improve the lightness and darkness of the image while still keeping the quality of it and not burning areas of the image on Photoshop.

First of all, open up your graphic you want to amend.

Once the image has opened up on Photoshop, at the bottom right (on default settings here) you have the section that says "layers". Below that there are 6 buttons. You want to click on the button that looks like this...

When you click on this image it should pop up with several options. You want to click on the option that says "Levels". When the levels screen pops up you can then start having a bit of fun with the light and dark levels.

When this screen pops up, press and hold on the button "ALT" and drag along the button on the right at the borrom of this graph that you see. When you have ALT pressed it shows you how much you are burning the lightness into the image...the least amount of action on the screen the less amount of light you are burning in. If you do the same for the button on the bottom left of the graph it should burn in the dark more. Again, it should burn in the darkest areas first, you do not want to burn in too much for the light or dark.

Once you have done this, press Ok. Here is a before and after shot of the Strawberry photograph after using the levels option.

I think the most noticeable difference on these images are when you look at the Strawberry.

If you have any problems with any of this then please feel free in leaving a post.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Riptcage
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Riptcage

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm don't know man, looks the same to me =]
  • jumsy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jumsy

Post 3+ Months Ago

all these tools to edit pictures I never knew about...

Thanks SB. My sister does a lot of digital photography, I'll forward this to her.

Riptcage: The strawberry was made lighter.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Riptcage wrote:
hmm don't know man, looks the same to me =]

There is a difference. If you look at the handle of the knife on both photos you will notice that the photo on the bottom is lighter than the photo at the top.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts