So I developed my first roll of film today

• She God
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: California (Land Of The Cackling Sun)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, damn, and I messed up horribly. I put the wrong amount of fixer or whatnot it in, and some of my pictures are lighter on the bottom. Which is a shame, because the picture I wanted to print was ruined. I took one of a guy running down a path, and tired to print it, but I somehow knocked it and it looks horrible. Although I have to admit it wasn’t very good picture in the first place. I’m going back tomorrow and trying again, Wish me luck.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe learning is fun! good luck with the next one :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never developped film before, I have scanned 35mm negatives tho, and printed them off, does that count?! :-P
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

It’s not hard, I bet next time I wont be nearly so incompetent! I’m doing it for a beginning photograph class. I have no idea how to use a camera other then pointing a clicking, and thought it would be a good class to take (That and %90 of my other classes wont count towards my AA degree, this will) Soon we’ll learn a bit of theory and spend the rest of the semester learning how to make out pictures look better. Whee.

My attempt to get into the lab today failed, so it looks like I’m going to be there all day Saturday. I have a noon class that does till three. Hopefully the lab is open all day tomorrow. If I have time i'll scan in my negatives if I can find the school scanner. I look pictues of my negatives with a ditigal camera, but it was too dark so they look awful.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol --- I remember my first time developing - it was in 1978, I think (I know - some of you weren't even born then *grins) -- I think I recall the development of the negatives turned out OK the first time but my composition was horrible! I had no clue what an f-stop was back then! Or how to frame a subject etc...ad nauseum. I'm glad my skills improved with age.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I remember my first time developing - it was in 1978, I think (I know - some of you weren't even born then *grins)

Damn dude, I wasn't even born then. You are an old guy!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- that was my first year of college as a Communication Major -- methinks I went through the same thing She God is going through now - if she's in Communications wait until she gets to her Television Production class! *lol
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mistakes are inevitable and part of the learning experience!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know it, Nego! And photography is so much fun and so critical to our memories!

And an added note to BWM re: my last post -- at around 2 AM on the day of my 10th birthday my mom woke me up so I could watch Neil Armstrong and Buz Aldrin take mankind's first steps on the moon. With a little trivia research that should tell you exactly how old I am.

I don't consider myself ancient by any means -- but I have seen some things a few around here haven't. I still remember the day the grocery boy showed up at our door (does anyone else remember grocery boys delivering food to their houses?) and told my mom and dad J.F.K. was shot. I still remember watching the train roll from Dallas all the way back "home"...

OK...I'll quit being off-topic...

For the on-topic part -- the developing gets easier -- as long as you get to where you don't screw up the negatives you can do anything with the prints you want later! Best of luck -- it will all click in very fast. Just mix the chemicals right and get your development time right for the negs and you should be OK. (BTW -- are they still using Black and white film in class? -- Hmmm....does black and white film still exist?)

Yep -- I've seen a few years.
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait…44? 1969 for the moon-walk right? That’s not *that* old Bigweb, Heh.

Naw, I’m in graphic design. Actually not even that! It’s a local 2-year community college (ha, and this is my third year), and Design isn’t a big demand there, so I have to really apply for a General Ed AA degree because they don’t offer a graphic design plan. Grrr. So although I wont take a Tv/Video class, I am taking a multimedia class where were going to learn how to edit digital video on a computer. In fact I have to write a storyboard on a 3-5 minuets film and I’m going to try and film it here, by my <a href="http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=1492" target="_black">bathtub picture.</a> Muwhahaha (Pity this class also means jack-crap to my goal of graduating.)

And yes, we still use black and white. Most of us have never used a camera other then on auto and taking X-mas pictures. I hear developing color is much harder, so they want to start off small.
  • pgenung
  • Born
  • Born
  • pgenung
  • Loc: ny

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish my school had graphic design or photography... that's awesome. I just sit here and play with photos in photoshop......
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha i remember doing that back in school. cant say ill miss putting my hands into a black sack with the film canister and fumbling around try to get the film out to put it in the developing container ;-) ah the memories... reminds me of graphic design by hand - dayum i cant be that old ;-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts