I didn't get "it" on ebay.

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

BUT I GOT THE *plum* ON EBAY, LOL.
Wallpaper

Recently I have been saturating my brain in the world of 3D design. I have come to learn that the key to realistic 3D imaging lies in the lighting and texturing. Not, modeling like I had originally assumed. So, my focus has been primarily on just that. I will dive into modeling a lil later. Anyway, here's a lil something I did to test out a lighting setting. I used one sky light and mental ray renderer. I will post more details on my site in the near future incase any of you might be interested.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mmmm... HDR-like goodness. Well done!
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice job originno. I have been getting into 3Design myself. http://www.esportsmn.com/images/Splash.jpg . That was my first day, not too bad though.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that. Nice job. How did you get that beveled edge. I have been trying to do that myself. I used 3D Studio Max, what do you use?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cinema4D :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice OriginNO :)

Maya, with HDRI & a car-paint shader rendered with MentalRay :)

http://www.gotaxe.com/stuff/maya-edges.jpg

oooh blink, you changed that URL ;)
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I need to learn how to get the reflexions like you guys have. Makes it look really nice.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's easy enough to do in Maya (the paint there is a layered shader)... I don't know about Max.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that, Axe. Do you know how to create your own HDR Image. I've wanted to try some HDRI but then with further research I discovered HDR is an actual file extention and I can't seem to find any free ones. The Max exports .hdr but I have know idea what it is I do to make sure the proper image is exported. Did that make sence? Anyway, if I , excuse me, when I figure it out I will make some for us to use. I followed a tutorial and it was quite simple, I was just lacking the .hdr file. It's actually easier that the alternative of setting up your own lighting and such.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

looking good there

in most material properties there is a reflection option, just put a material in it (c4d users)

that does the trick.

with HDR images (try http://www.3dattack.net, check the forum for freebies) make a sky object (under lights and camera's, not at home so dont know exact name)

then apply the HDR image as a texture to the sky object, make sure the objects in you scene have some reflection.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO_II wrote:
Do you know how to create your own HDR Image.

I know how, just don't have the ability at the moment.

There are applications out there that will allow you to create them, but you need a camera capable of full manual control, and acute adjustment of exposure time.

True HDR (High Dynamic Range) images contain multiple exposures of the same scene at different exposures in order to gain the most detail in the shadows (long exposures), and the most detail in the bright areas, such as the sky (which can often be 1/4000th of a second or faster - depending on your aperture - which must remain constant throughout the exposures).

This is how they get their high dynamic range, by being able to sample multiple sources of the same shot.

This means a good quality steady tripod. If you're shooting with a good quality DSLR, I wouldn't spend less than $300-400 on a good tripod head & legs to hold it steady (You can get some rock solid, super light, carbon fiber tripod logs, and something like a Kirk BH-3 ball-head for around $500-600, which would be just peachy).

You can use straight TIF files, which are just a single exposure, of course, you won't be able to pull out as much realistic detail (for example, good quality shadows, but reflected highlights are blown out - or vice versa, good quality skies, but nothing in the foreground to reflect off your object).

If you hunt around Google, there are some .hdr files out there you can download and play with.

Creating your own, you need a fully reflective mirror-like dome which you point your camera at, it shoots the scene (obviously catching the reflection of the camera/tripod/photographer - which needs to be edited out in Photoshop or something), and then when it's mapped to a sphere in your scene, shows appropriate scale, angles, etc.

You can still do it without the dome, just be prepared for a lot of work. You have to basically do your own panoramics (which is why a ball head is good - and possibly an adapter so as to rotate your camera around the film plane, and not necessarily the thread where the tripod wants to rotate), but you need to take each shot at the same range of exposures (possibly a dozen photos each time or more). Then you have to match these up in Photoshop, or suitable HDR editor application. Not only do you have to match each shot up to each other to create the full spherical map, but you also have to make sure all your maps match each other, as far as positioning goes, to make sure that your highlights and shadows all match.

So, with the right equipment, it's a fairly simple process. Shoot a dozen photos of a mirror ball, clone yourself out in Photoshop, load into the HDR app and merge all your TIFs into a single .hdr file. But it can be pricey to get all the right equipment (the balls themselves can cost a few hundred bucks for good quality ones). Or you can do it without a huge expense (but still somewhat sizeable depending on how accurate your needs are), and a lot of work.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wheeeewee, it may be simple but that sounds like a lot for an amatuer like myself. Ok, like I mentioned earlier, 3D Max exports .hdr files. Does that mean I can set up my own scenes with lighting and correct exposures and save all the data in an .hdr?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, if your lighting is setup correctly. Max (or Maya/MentalRay) would be able to generate the higher range final image.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh ok. Thanks Axe.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have improved!

http://img11.imageshack.us/full.php?ima ... 2gl8ok.jpg
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow blink, nice improvement. I still can't do a descent abstract. Mine always come out like a complete mess. I have improved a little bit myself however despite the minor imperfection of my demonstration. I forgot to smooth the mold befor I rendered. Anyway...I did this for a friend who is starting a skateboard company, Plusign Etc. http://originno.com/images/wallpapers/plusignwheels800.jpg
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is really nice orginno. There is only one problem, the edges of the circles are a bit choppy :(
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lovin' the wild colours there origino
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am learning :D
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooooh, that's purty. =]
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Nucleo.

Fantastic job, Blink. I like that.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts