Digital Ice Cubes Problem with LightWave

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been trying to get into 3D a little bit here and am still very new at this. I rendered these ice cubes last night:

http://www.ozzu.com/examples/icecubes0030001.jpg

and cannot figure out for the life of me why the cubes have the lines in the cube and in the shadow. I thought at first it my be the ray recursion limit so I manipulated that from 4 to 16 with the same results. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I am using LightWave 3D.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know a think about lightwave....are you using volumetric lighting?

Well I tried to search for someone else having this problem and literally the only thing I found was this http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1324

I hope that helps
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the texture of the cubes, are you using a texture mapping, or geometric deformations?

It looks to me like you're using box modeling and some sort of deformation in conjunction with texture mapping. It seems that the deformation is causing the faces/polygons to shift away from each other and cause gaps.

Lightwave isn't the tool I use, so I'm not sure what would be strictly analogous.

I wonder if this isn't something happening when you create the base geometry - like a selection to weld the face polygons together or leave the seperate.

It looks like a filleted cube (a cube with rounded edges) of some sort. I wonder if you can convert your base object to NURBS (non uniform rational b-splines).
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the polygons arent rendering properly as they are 4 point polygons, and the deformation has cause the 4 points to be uneaven, giving the polygon a curve like shape (which it cant technically do).

start with the original shape and convert the polygons to 3 point then deform it in point mode not polygon mode. this should fix it. you can deform it in modeller or you can do it with texture displacement each will look different so you should play around with what will work best.

in terms of the rendering, ice is very hard to reproduce realistically because of the detailed artifacts ice has. there was a resource on the net (seems to be down) for lightwave presets, you could do a search for them and you should find a good ice preset (surface).

the ray recursion limit is how many time a light ray bounces of a surface, more will give more realistic results but will increase render times ALOT, and you have to have a good object/suface to make the light bounce that many times.

also lighting helps, try hdri lighting. this will give much better results. http://athens.ict.usc.edu/Probes/

enabling caustics will also make it more realistic, but will increase rendertimes. using sub surface scattering will also look more realistice but i havent really played with that ;-)

want me to go into more detail, let me know ;-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts